It is currently April 25th, 2024, 6:23 am

Noob looking for help!

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Merforga

Noob looking for help!

Post by Merforga »

Hi everyone. I've heard lots of good things about Rainmeter so I installed it a couple of days ago, but I can't seem to figure out how to get different widgets for it and stuff. For example, I see I can add my weather code, but I don't know where the weather widget is exactly, and how to open it. Second, can I have more than five applications assigned to the dock/quick launch menu at the bottom? And do skins affect what widgets I can and can't use? Also it seems like I can't change the programs set on the launcher to ones that I want. For example I want to change Trillian to WLM, but it won't seem to work, unless I'm doing it incorrectly.

As I said, I'm a complete noob at this, so I'm not sure how this works. I read the manual, but that didn't really help me at all. Any help is much appreciated, thanks! :D
dragonmage
Developer

Re: Noob looking for help!

Post by dragonmage »

You read the whole manual?

Try here next http://www.rainmeter.net/cms/Rainmeter101
wasky1

Post by wasky1 »

just incase you dont see it in the manual -

the wigity/gagety things that are displayed on your desktop with rainmeter are infact "skins". they are written in text in ".ini" files with possibly some images/sounds to go with them. editing the .ini file is editing the skin. some skins have an extra file included for variables such as paths to links or colors ect (to make editing easy for the user), others have the variables in the .ini file, and others have no actual variables but in fact you can edit/rewrite any skin to your own preference/style. hope this helps, and welcome.
Merforga

Post by Merforga »

wasky1 wrote:just incase you dont see it in the manual -

the wigity/gagety things that are displayed on your desktop with rainmeter are infact "skins". they are written in text in ".ini" files with possibly some images/sounds to go with them. editing the .ini file is editing the skin. some skins have an extra file included for variables such as paths to links or colors ect (to make editing easy for the user), others have the variables in the .ini file, and others have no actual variables but in fact you can edit/rewrite any skin to your own preference/style. hope this helps, and welcome.
That's what I wasn't able to figure out :p Thanks for the help, I thought that skins and themes were the same.