It is currently April 19th, 2024, 10:26 am

NetIn error

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
CodeCode

NetIn error

Post by CodeCode »

Hi, I started getting this error after the last win10 update. All of my adapters have a different index, and there are several new 'parked' adapters as well.

Error:
SysInfo: SysInfoData=0 is not valid for SysInfoType=ADAPTER_DESCRIPTION, using "Best" interface. (RoundMegaSuite\PCStats\Mega Net\Ultra Net.ini - [MeasureAdapter])
Is there anything I can do - like actually brute-forcing the adapter index to something other than '0'? A substitute?
The culprit adapter is my VPN (PIA).
ƈǟռ'ȶ ʄɨӼ ɨȶ ɨʄ ɨȶ ǟɨռ'ȶ ɮʀօӄɛ - ʊռʟɛֆֆ ɨȶ ɨֆ ɨռ ƈօɖɛ.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: NetIn error

Post by jsmorley »

CodeCode wrote: September 14th, 2021, 11:43 am Hi, I started getting this error after the last win10 update. All of my adapters have a different index, and there are several new 'parked' adapters as well.

Error:

Is there anything I can do - like actually brute-forcing the adapter index to something other than '0'? A substitute?
The culprit adapter is my VPN (PIA).
I would either use the actual "description" of the adapter, or set SysInfoData to "Best". While you can get the correct index numbers in PowerShell with

Get-NetAdapter -IncludeHidden | format-list -property "InterfaceDescription", "InterfaceIndex"

I wouldn't count on those numbers. They can change at any time in Windows.

That error is due to the fact that SysInfoData for network entries is indexed starting at "1" and not "0". It's a one-time error, actually a "notice", as the measure will immediately change it to the default "Best".

"Best" is always the correct setting if you have a single interface that is "active" at any given time, just use DynamicVariables=1 on the measure if the active interface can change, like firing up your VPN for instance.

If you have more than one interface that is "active" at a time, then you will really need to use the "description" of the adapter.
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

Ok, yep. That seems to be the case for me right now - 'changed without notice'.
I checked that PS command and found that nothing has a '2'.
So I plugged in a Substitute="^0$":"2".

The error has now stopped, and I found my VPN was actually moved on the index way up to like 15. So now Best no longer shares its Best-ness with index 0, but instead is like 14.
Last edited by CodeCode on September 14th, 2021, 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ƈǟռ'ȶ ʄɨӼ ɨȶ ɨʄ ɨȶ ǟɨռ'ȶ ɮʀօӄɛ - ʊռʟɛֆֆ ɨȶ ɨֆ ɨռ ƈօɖɛ.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

CodeCode wrote: September 14th, 2021, 12:04 pm Ok, yep. That seems to be the case for me right now - 'changed without notice'.
I checked that PS command and found that nothing has a '2'.
So I plugged in a Substitute="^0$":"2".

The error has not stopped, and I found my VPN was actually moved on the index way up to like 15. So now Best no longer shares its Best-ness with index 0, but instead is like 14.
"Best" is always the correct setting if you have a single interface that is "active" at any given time, just use DynamicVariables=1 on the measure if the active interface can change, like firing up your VPN for instance.

If you have more than one interface that is "active" at a time, then you will really need to use the "description" of the adapter.

I don't see how Substitute can play any role in this.