It is currently April 26th, 2024, 6:44 am

Windows 7 and network interfaces problems

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
OokamiChan

Windows 7 and network interfaces problems

Post by OokamiChan »

Hi!

I have resentlu upgraded from XP to Win7 and one thing have happend when I try to diplay my IP from LAN and WiFi connection. In XP If I did define a interface then I did get information from that interface, So 0 was my LAN and 2 was my WiFi. But now it seam to be a virtual interface that change if a connection is connected or not. So if I have my LAN connected and WiFi on the interface list is lite this.

LAN cabel connected:
0 = LAN
1 = Localhost
2 = WiFi

LAN cabel not connected:
0 = Localhost
1 = WiFi

It dosn't mather if you use low(0-2) end or high(1000-1002) interface numbers the reslut will be the same. The problem is that the interface change place if one is connected or not. I don't think this is the problem of the plugin, but how MS have changed the underlying structure that the plugin is dependent on.

SO my question is. Is there any plugin that allow me to show both my LAN and WiFi IP (That inerface 0 is LAN regadles if the cabel is connected or not.)?
Or is there a work around?

Regards
OokamiChan
NeverOutofTune

Re: Windows 7 and network interfaces problems

Post by NeverOutofTune »

I ran into the same problem. I have a meter that has a button to toggle which interface IP I am displaying. The numbers were static in XP which allowed me to put a 'friendly' name label next to the IP currently displayed.

That broke with Windows 7 (maybe even Vista). I just removed my label and have a button to toggle through all my interfaces (Local, LAN, WIFI, and VPN). I only need to display which ever is active so I just toggle through until I see an IP address. This not an issue for me as I am 99% on WIFI.

The attached graphic shows my main system meter. I've barred out my public IP and SSID. My button area is my IP address display. When I click on my IP address, it displays the next one available.

For automation, I suppose I could test the value of the IP and if = to 0 (or whatever a non-valid IP returns), move on to the next until I find a valid IP. And of course, skip the Local 127.0.0.1. This could be a trick you could try.

So much fun stuff to do, just not enough hours. I just finished polishing up a Ping Tool skin to test 60 IPs / URLs / FQDNs in a compact format similar to the Solar Winds ping tool. Will (hopefully) be posting soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OokamiChan

Re: Windows 7 and network interfaces problems

Post by OokamiChan »

Thanks for the replay.

I think I will have to implement your solution whit the button, so I can toggle the different IP.
You woulden't be so nice and post the code for the toggle button?
I woulden't like to invent the weel twice.

Regards
OokamiChan