It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:24 am

Show skin only after having all values loaded

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
LazieWouters

Show skin only after having all values loaded

Post by LazieWouters »

Hello,

how do I get a skin only to be displayed after the values of the meters are all loaded?

I have a skin that displays weather data, and when this skin is loaded it takes about 0.5 to 1 second to download the data from the weather site so this data is displayed. During this time period of 0.5 to 1 second the graphics are all wrong as their values are still null or empty. So I would like the skin not to be visible during this period.
Or if anyone has another suggestion that might fix or work around this issue.
Thanks.
Untitled-1.jpg
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Show skin only after having all values loaded

Post by jsmorley »

I think the most straightforward way, that involves the least amount of changes to the code, is to:

1) Right-click the Rainmeter tray icon and "Edit Settings"
2) Find the [ConfigName] section for your skin and add StartHidden=1 to the section.
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/settings/skin-sections/#StartHidden
3) Edit the skin, and find the "parent" WebParser measure that is getting the data.
4) To that measure section add FinishAction=[!Show]
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/measures/webparser/#FinishAction

Save it all and restart Rainmeter.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

LazieWouters wrote: August 29th, 2021, 11:20 am Hello,

how do I get a skin only to be displayed after the values of the meters are all loaded?

I have a skin that displays weather data, and when this skin is loaded it takes about 0.5 to 1 second to download the data from the weather site so this data is displayed. During this time period of 0.5 to 1 second the graphics are all wrong as their values are still null or empty. So I would like the skin not to be visible during this period.
Or if anyone has another suggestion that might fix or work around this issue.
Thanks.
And please post where you got all these cool skins from! :)
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

SilverAzide wrote: August 29th, 2021, 3:16 pm And please post where you got all these cool skins from! :)
Sorry, but would also be grateful for these skins url or an attached .rmskin file. :D
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

jsmorley wrote: August 29th, 2021, 11:33 am 2) Find the [ConfigName] section for your skin and add StartHidden=1 to the section.
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/settings/skin-sections/#StartHidden
Another way would be OnRefreshAction=[!Hide]

As you see, for new users it might be hard to follow the intricacies of finding the Rainmeter.ini and then the required config(even I get a hard time, so I just delete it, in case I get in to a loop which crashes Rainmeter, instead of finding the conifg and changing Active=0) and then changing the required values, or adding it.
LazieWouters

Post by LazieWouters »

It's not quite ready yet, but I can provide the zipped file with the skins if anyone wants... I don't know how to make the installation package yet.
Skins are based on these other skins: ASTROWeatherAPI, SteamCalendar, Shadow Clock, lottaweather. So in advance I thank their creators.
It is also necessary to have the Chameleon plugin installed.

So if anyone is interested just say so I'll post the zip here in a few days.
Teste.jpg
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Really nice! :thumbup: I've never seen that SteamCalendar skin before. It would be great to package it all up and post it at some point.

To build an installation package is pretty simple. In the Rainmeter Manager dialog, click the "Create .rmskin package" button. You can pick the skin, all the plugins and add whatever additional info you need and you are done. Full docs are here. The advantage of building an .rmskin instead of a zip is that you can include whatever plugins your skin requires, and Rainmeter will install them properly.