It is currently April 20th, 2024, 7:31 am

Transformation matrix on scaling + resource usage

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Transformation matrix on scaling + resource usage

Post by death.crafter »

jsmorley wrote: August 10th, 2021, 7:07 pm "My computer is bigger than your computer". Is that what you kids are calling it these days?
It's more like a you got a "TOASTER" and I got a "RIG". :rolmfao:
The inverse is true tho LMAO
from the Realm of Death
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Transformation matrix on scaling + resource usage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: August 10th, 2021, 7:07 pm "My computer is bigger than your computer". Is that what you kids are calling it these days?
LOL, I never called it like that, but for sure that was the impression I got, with all that "modern computer" bolded and such and suggesting that doing expensive operations in Rainmeter is taking a lot of CPU because it's the computer that is not up to the task, and not because the operation itself is CPU consuming (check the 80% CPU in the skin above - and that is with just these 2 skins loaded):
CPU.jpg
This might be half, say 40% on a "modern computer" (unlike mine, of course), maybe even less with the hardware acceleration enabled to share the workload with the GPU (if enabling it didn't produce parts of the image missing in Rainmeter, that is), but it's a fact that the operations I mentioned significantly use the CPU irrespective of whether it's modern or not. Try to do image or video processing with a skin doing these kind of operations and you'll quickly find it not tolerable, even on better computers than mine. Yes, I know, such animations are not something Rainmeter is designed for, I agree, but it proves the point. And that was my whole point. :D
balala wrote: August 10th, 2021, 7:19 pm I don't know your computer, but I never brag with mine. Sorry, but I doubt I said anything "wrong" about yours.
In a normal Rainmeter usage on a decent computer (not yours or mine or anyone, but a decent one), Rainmeter doesn't consume too much resources. Still saying: this is my opinion. I sustain it based on my experience.
No more comments on my side...
Of course you didn't say anything wrong about mine, you just blamed the high CPU usage on the fact that the computer isn't modern (enough), and not on the transformations being done on the image. I sustain it based on factual measurements like the screenshot above. Yes, this is not a "normal" Rainmeter usage and not a decent computer by today's standards of consumerism, but it helps in placing the culprit on the operation, and NOT on the hardware - that's all. ;-)
SilverAzide wrote: August 10th, 2021, 7:11 pm I *thought* I had a "modern computer" until Microsoft came out with their Windows 11 specs. Stupid me... :(
Precisely to the point. :thumbup: Just because some specs are fashionable, doesn't mean doing things inefficiently (or doing inefficient things) is a good practice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth