It is currently April 26th, 2024, 6:06 pm

Some problems regarding NowPlaying ("state" and "play")

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Some problems regarding NowPlaying ("state" and "play")

Post by death.crafter »

Yincognito wrote: ↑June 21st, 2021, 10:16 am Balala is right on this one. It's simply the fact that Spotify is only partially supported that is causing the Play=PlayPause behavior. The docs can't cover every usage scenario when describing the behaviors in various players. Stating that X player is only partially supported should be enough for the user to realize not only that some things won't work at all, but also that other things might exhibit a different behavior than the standard one. It's a common misconception that this only means the former and not the latter.
Considering that they already have it mentioned, I proposed a change in the docs as to remove the play command as it's misleading. Or may be fix the command, whichever they can do.
Screenshot 2021-06-21 160752.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
from the Realm of Death
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

ingridd wrote: ↑June 21st, 2021, 10:40 am it doesnt show the artist or title or anything, which is why im thinking maybe i installed spicetify wrong or something
  • Then there is a chance you haven't installed the WebNowPlaying plugin.
    WebNowPlaying_0.5.0.rmskin
  • Another is that you haven't enabled the WebNowPlaying extension in spicetify-cli.

Code: Select all

spicetify config extensions webnowplaying.js
  • Another: Your spotify was updated right after you installed spicetify. So just go to PoweShell and run spicetify apply
Go one by one. If none of these work reply later.
ingridd wrote: ↑June 21st, 2021, 10:40 am i set the [Update=16] because i thought it would prompt a faster response, but if thats causing problems i'll go ahead and make it 1000 for now
Use lower update rates when you need animations like visualizers and stuff. There is no point in using lower update rate in skins like this. Morever it will hinder your performance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
from the Realm of Death
ingridd

Post by ingridd »

death.crafter wrote: ↑June 21st, 2021, 9:13 am No I mean the whole skin as a rmskin file. With the images and stuff. Anyway I will just rename some pngs. Next time post a rmskin file when asked for a skin.πŸ˜„
(really sorry, found out i omitted the [PlayerType=State] - added it but still no change in state)
Last edited by ingridd on June 21st, 2021, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yincognito wrote: ↑June 21st, 2021, 10:28 am Not debating this at all, I'm just curious: what makes a plugin part of the Rainmeter project (i.e. an "official" one)? Is it the authorship (e.g. only those made by the Rainmeter team, aka the devs), the documenting and support (e.g. if it's properly maintained), its quality (e.g. if it's better than others in the same area), or something else entirely? In other words, could a 3rd party plugin ever become part of the Rainmeter project (with the author either outside or part of the Rainmeter team), or it's just some impossible thing and the two worlds (both projects and people) are meant to be separated?
This is a community driven, open source project, and we welcome all participation in a variety of ways.

Folks are welcome to:

Make a suggestion in our Bugs and Feature Suggestions area of the forums. The team will evaluate the suggestion and will (or won't) take action on it. We welcome all suggestions, but the final decision is made by the team, who look at it in the bigger context of the performance and stability of the application, any impact on backwards compatibility, and a cost-benefit view of the amount of effort vs the real need.

On GitHub, create a fork of the project, make any changes they like, and do a Pull Request. We suggest that the person contact us either here on the forums or on our IRC so we can discuss the change. Once again, the team will make the final decision based on the above factors.

As far as plugins go, there are really two routes:

Create the plugin and start a thread here on the forum to announce and describe the plugin functionality. Where the author hosts the plugin and any documentation is up to them. It can be here on the forums, on GitHub, or any other site they want to use. We are happy to have the plugin in the community, and feel free to use the forums to support users, collect requests for changes etc. However, just because a plugin exists doesn't mean it is supported as an official part of the Rainmeter project. Anyone can create a plugin, and to be honest, we just don't know everyone, what their level of skill is, and what commitment they will have for the long term maintenance and support of their plugin.

Create the plugin and get it out there as a 3rd-party plugin exactly as above, but at some point of the authors choosing, contact us to see if we would be interested in including the plugin in the project. This will entail giving us the source code for the plugin, and providing us with all documentation. If it looks like a good fit, we will incorporate the plugin in the Rainmeter "build", create the documentation on our site, and will work with the author to maintain the code and documentation going forward. Changes to either can be made by doing pull requests in the repositories. The AudioLevel plugin is a good example of how this works.

The long and the short of it is that with plugins, we MUST have the code in our repository, so we can make changes required to fix bugs or changing circumstances, and keep the documentation up to date. We certainly give full credit to the original author, but if we can't control it, we can't support it.

The plugin approach Rainmeter supports is specifically designed to allow anyone to "extend" the capabilities of Rainmeter. There is nothing wrong with a plugin remaining a 3rd-party plugin, under the complete control of the original author. It's sorta the point of the entire "plugin" idea.
β€’ deviantART Profile β€’ Current Desktop β€’ Rainmeter Manual β€’
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

death.crafter wrote: ↑June 21st, 2021, 10:41 am Considering that they already have it mentioned, I proposed a change in the docs as to remove the play command as it's misleading. Or may be fix the command, whichever they can do.
Ah, I see. Well, it is available alright, it just doesn't do precisely what it's supposed to, although it comes very close. But I get the idea.
Profiles: Rainmeter Profile β—‡ DeviantArt Profile β—† Suites: MYiniMeter β—† Skins: Earth
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

ingridd wrote: ↑June 21st, 2021, 10:50 am (really sorry, found out i omitted the [PlayerType=State] - added it but still no change in state)
I just posted the things to try to get it working above and I think you missed it.
from the Realm of Death
ingridd

Post by ingridd »

death.crafter wrote: ↑June 21st, 2021, 10:59 am I just posted the things to try to get it working above and I think you missed it.
ahh, I did, im very sorry
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: ↑June 21st, 2021, 10:54 amThis is a community driven, open source project, and we welcome all participation in a variety of ways. [...]
Many thanks for the comprehensive and clear answer - it makes sense. These things were always blurry to me before, thus the question. I'll stop now from hijacking yet another thread, apologies. :oops:
death.crafter wrote: ↑June 21st, 2021, 10:59 amI just posted the things to try to get it working above and I think you missed it.
Profiles: Rainmeter Profile β—‡ DeviantArt Profile β—† Suites: MYiniMeter β—† Skins: Earth
ingridd

Post by ingridd »

death.crafter wrote: ↑June 21st, 2021, 10:50 am
  • Then there is a chance you haven't installed the WebNowPlaying plugin.
    WebNowPlaying_0.5.0.rmskin
  • Another is that you haven't enabled the WebNowPlaying extension in spicetify-cli.

Code: Select all

spicetify config extensions webnowplaying.js
  • Another: Your spotify was updated right after you installed spicetify. So just go to PoweShell and run spicetify apply
Go one by one. If none of these work reply later.

Use lower update rates when you need animations like visualizers and stuff. There is no point in using lower update rate in skins like this. Morever it will hinder your performance.
thank you so much!! running spicetify apply fixed it, thank you once again for your help, much appreciated
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

ingridd wrote: ↑June 21st, 2021, 11:15 am thank you so much!! running spicetify apply fixed it, thank you once again for your help, much appreciated
  • Right. Everytime spotify gets an update run spicetify apply.
  • If still doesn't work run spicetify upgrade.
  • If still doesn't work check if WebNowPlaying got updated from Github and grab the latest one.
Glad it worked out.
ThumbsUpJimCarreyGIF.gif
from the Realm of Death