It is currently April 26th, 2024, 8:40 pm

Using Rainmeter Skin on multiple user accounts

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Eljo

Using Rainmeter Skin on multiple user accounts

Post by Eljo »

Hello everyone !

I'm working in an enterprise and i have to integrate a monitoring skin on our servers.
The purpose is : all users must see this skin and all new users have to access the skin automatically.

To do my tests, i deployed a portable version of rainmeter with my skin on "C:\Rainmeter" with a shorcut of the .exe on "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp"

It's working fine but i have an issue :

The issue :
When an users login with his account, an error message appear :

"Rainmeter.ini is not editable. The settings will not be saved. Close Rainmeter and move the settings file from: C:\Rainmeter ....
to C:\Users\User1\AppData\Roaming...
"

So, I just don't want this error message to appear again..

Can someone help me with this please ? :)
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Using Rainmeter Skin on multiple user accounts

Post by jsmorley »

The way Rainmeter works is that while the Rainmeter executable and skin files can be located anywhere, the Rainmeter.ini file that controls what skins are loaded and where they are on the screen (as well as other settings) for any given user's account MUST be in a location that is entirely controlled by the user account that is running Rainmeter. You simply can't have the settings for Rainmeter be shared by multiple users in a location they can't write to.
Eljo

Post by Eljo »

Thank you very much, you put me on the right track.

I found the solution :
I modified the security properties of the Rainmeter.ini file by assigning "full control" to the "User" group on "security" tab :)
:)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Eljo wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 11:58 am Thank you very much, you put me on the right track.

I found the solution :
I modified the security properties of the Rainmeter.ini file by assigning "full control" to the "User" group on "security" tab :)
:)
Great. Do understand that any user that unloads, loads, moves or changes any of the skin settings in Rainmeter.ini will effect ALL users who share that file.

At the end of the day, Rainmeter is not designed nor intended to be used in a shared, corporate environment. To be perfectly honest, given the security implications, I would not allow the program at all in any corporate environment that I had responsibility for.