It is currently April 26th, 2024, 1:26 pm

Excel Data View

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
bybart

Excel Data View

Post by bybart »

https://imgur.com/ZyH05gE

Hello there
what I'm trying to do. A data in Excel should be like in the photo. edit system.ini, the data should appear in the shell dynamically. and occasional auto renewal.

then I'll also try this with json and xml.

I know very little about the program.
Can you help me?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Excel Data View

Post by SilverAzide »

As far as I know, there is no way to get data from Excel with Rainmeter, unless someone has created an Excel plugin. You could easily save the data in a text file instead (CSV, etc.) and that would work, but it would probably be difficult for a newcomer to get the data from the file. You might want to read (or at least skim) the manual to at least see what Rainmeter can do. It also would help if you explained what you are ultimately trying to do. There are zillions of Rainmeter skins and maybe someone has already done something like what you want.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
bybart

Post by bybart »

I need to see a working csv, text file data transfer.
I couldn't see a skin that could read data from a csv or txt file.
It will work if I can find it.
I'm looking for

Thanks...
Sam12345

Post by Sam12345 »

I'm also a relative newcomer to Rainmeter, but for a qualification I done I needed to do tons of excel work. I'm by no means an expert on that either, but we did some work with macros. Excel should be able to copy and past a field to a file with a macro, which, even if excel cant put into your actual skin, it should be able to put in a .txt file in the resource folder. You could then take code from this to display it(, or, alternatively, you could use that skin).
Of course, you'd need to run the macro every time the data changes (although you might be able to automate this). If you want, you could just export the whole Excel, depending on what you want.

Once again, I'd like to stress that I'm no expert, and I haven't tried this, its just the way I'd approach this. :great:
Insert inspirational quote here
bybart

Post by bybart »

Sam12345 wrote: April 9th, 2021, 3:35 pm I'm also a relative newcomer to Rainmeter, but for a qualification I done I needed to do tons of excel work. I'm by no means an expert on that either, but we did some work with macros. Excel should be able to copy and past a field to a file with a macro, which, even if excel cant put into your actual skin, it should be able to put in a .txt file in the resource folder. You could then take code from this to display it(, or, alternatively, you could use that skin).
Of course, you'd need to run the macro every time the data changes (although you might be able to automate this). If you want, you could just export the whole Excel, depending on what you want.

Once again, I'd like to stress that I'm no expert, and I haven't tried this, its just the way I'd approach this. :great:
thanks Sam this is enough for me
Sam12345

Post by Sam12345 »

bybart wrote: April 10th, 2021, 6:04 am thanks Sam this is enough for me
:thumbup:
Insert inspirational quote here