It is currently March 29th, 2024, 2:20 pm

WebParser update problem

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
True_Soldjaz

WebParser update problem

Post by True_Soldjaz »

Hi everyone I'm using Rainmeter version 1.2 rev 357 (32-bit) and I have a problem. The computer I'm using Rainmeter on is an old XP 32 bit 1.06 GHz with only 512 of RAM so keeping an efficient and streamlined rainmeter program is very important to me because of my low resources. I have a custom setup with 2 webparser imageboard programs ripping thumbnails of wallpaper sites. Now to keep my resourses low I have put a huge update number on all the rainmeter programs I have written except these two webparser programs, and if i disable the webparsers my total rainmeter CPU usage falls between 3-7%. With them enabled my rainmeter CPU usage moves from between 7-51% with the 51% only lasting as long as it takes to update. I have the update rate of the rss at a high number because of the fact that the program itself rips 50 tiny thumbnail images and I dont need it done very often. I'm trying to keep the update as low as possible so I can use a button to scroll through the 50 pics that are already downloaded in the temp file. I guess the question is is there any way that I can have the general update number high but still be able to scroll through my downloaded pictures without having to wait forever for the action to happen?
True_Soldjaz

Re: WebParser update problem

Post by True_Soldjaz »

Or in another way of asking is there a way that I can have a higher general update number but still be able to enable a button to react immediately without refreshing the entire program or eating up CPU. I have made custom rainmeter icons on my background and they operate as buttons well with high update numbers. I think the only difference is that the buttons in the icons I made interface with XP itself. The buttons I have for the webparser interface with the rainmeter program so its dictated by the update number. If I bring the update number down to a second the buttons react quickly, but it really kills my CPU. Is there a way to get that responsiveness and still have a high update number as well?
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Alex2539 »

Set Update to something reasonable like 1000, then in your webparser measures add a value for UpdateRate and make it high. The webparser measures will update at UpdateRate times 1000. So if you have Update=1000 and UpdateRate=600, they will update every 10 minutes.
ImageImageImageImage
True_Soldjaz

Post by True_Soldjaz »

Alex2539 wrote:Set Update to something reasonable like 1000, then in your webparser measures add a value for UpdateRate and make it high. The webparser measures will update at UpdateRate times 1000. So if you have Update=1000 and UpdateRate=600, they will update every 10 minutes.
I've had it at 1000 before but it takes up too much CPU resources at that level. For me my Rainmeter CPU usage shoots up to 24-67% which is way too much for constant use. Do you think if I combine the 2 different webparsers running instead of doing them independently it would make a difference? Or is there a measure or something I can put on the buttons to make them react any faster?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

The buttons are going to do no better than the Update= is set to for the skin. But you should be able to set it at 1000, and check EVERY other measure and be sure to add an UpdateDivider on all measures except WebParser ones, and UpdateRate on WebParser measures.

Leave Update= low, so buttons and such are responsive, and jack up the measures, particularly the WebParser measures to something that brings your CPU usage down where you want it.
True_Soldjaz

Post by True_Soldjaz »

jsmorley wrote:The buttons are going to do no better than the Update= is set to for the skin. But you should be able to set it at 1000, and check EVERY other measure and be sure to add an UpdateDivider on all measures except WebParser ones, and UpdateRate on WebParser measures.

Leave Update= low, so buttons and such are responsive, and jack up the measures, particularly the WebParser measures to something that brings your CPU usage down where you want it.
Ok, I'll try that. Thanks. I'll write again if i have any more problems on this issue.