It is currently April 18th, 2024, 11:46 am

Any visualizer that i installed doesn't apply settings

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
donutnotnut

Any visualizer that i installed doesn't apply settings

Post by donutnotnut »

So I've tried installing like 3 visualizers and they all have setting.ini file to change settings. When i press save in the logs it says:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Any visualizer that i installed doesn't apply settings

Post by balala »

donutnotnut wrote: March 19th, 2021, 10:09 am So I've tried installing like 3 visualizers and they all have setting.ini file to change settings. When i press save in the logs it says:
I don't know the skin you're working with (whenever are you posting such questions would be a good idea to post a link as well, where we can download the skin), but what I see in the log is that the skin can't access the needed SkinFramework.lua script file. The skin probably doesn't work without this file.
Have you installed the skin? I suppose you haven't, because if you'd have been, the file wouldn't be missing.
donutnotnut

Post by donutnotnut »

I've downloaded it from here https://www.deviantart.com/sngmng/art/BeatCircle-Visualizer-v1-0-6-801312023
Just ran the file, like other skins.
Last edited by donutnotnut on March 19th, 2021, 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
donutnotnut

Post by donutnotnut »

balala wrote: March 19th, 2021, 7:29 pm I don't know the skin you're working with (whenever are you posting such questions would be a good idea to post a link as well, where we can download the skin), but what I see in the log is that the skin can't access the needed SkinFramework.lua script file. The skin probably doesn't work without this file.
Have you installed the skin? I suppose you haven't, because if you'd have been, the file wouldn't be missing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

donutnotnut wrote: March 19th, 2021, 10:28 pm I've downloaded it from here https://www.deviantart.com/sngmng/art/BeatCircle-Visualizer-v1-0-6-801312023
I don't get such an error message in log, however could you post please the exact and complete path of your SkinFramework.lua file?
donutnotnut

Post by donutnotnut »

C:\Users\artem\OneDrive\Документы\Rainmeter\Skins\Beat Circle
maybe rainmeter doesn't support russian path?
donutnotnut

Post by donutnotnut »

So all thanks to you, accidently found out that the pass to the file was invalid because folder Documents was named in russian, so to fix it i had to go to onedrive, change folder name from russian to english, then go to file explorer, and change the folders destination to new one. Not sure if that's supposed to work like this, but for a lot of russians it may become a problem :uhuh:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

donutnotnut wrote: March 20th, 2021, 11:01 pm So all thanks to you, accidently found out that the pass to the file was invalid because folder Documents was named in russian, so to fix it i had to go to onedrive, change folder name from russian to english, then go to file explorer, and change the folders destination to new one.
Well, to be honest I'm extremely surprised you got it working this way, but if you did, it's good. Let's see what a dev says about this.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

The likelihood is that the skin .ini file was encoded as UTF-8, which won't work right with Rainmeter when characters like Cyrillic are used in it. When the Russian characters were removed from the path (which are perfectly fine with Rainmeter by the way) then presumably the Russian characters were also removed from the skin, and any file that is UTF-8 but ONLY has ASCII characters in it is the same thing as ANSI, which Rainmeter works fine with.

The long and the short of it is that skin .ini and .inc files should always be encoded as UTF-16 Little Endian.

https://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/unicode-in-rainmeter/

As long as the skin file is encoded as UTF-16 Little Endian, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a path like C:\Users\artem\OneDrive\Документы\Rainmeter\Skins\Beat Circle. Rainmeter will be fine with it.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: March 21st, 2021, 3:57 pm The likelihood is that the skin .ini file was encoded as UTF-8, which won't work right with Rainmeter when characters like Cyrillic are used in it. When the Russian characters were removed from the path (which are perfectly fine with Rainmeter by the way) then presumably the Russian characters were also removed from the skin, and any file that is UTF-8 but ONLY has ASCII characters in it is the same thing as ANSI, which Rainmeter works fine with.

The long and the short of it is that skin .ini and .inc files should always be encoded as UTF-16 Little Endian.

https://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/unicode-in-rainmeter/

As long as the skin file is encoded as UTF-16 Little Endian, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a path like C:\Users\artem\OneDrive\Документы\Rainmeter\Skins\Beat Circle. Rainmeter will be fine with it.
:thumbup: Right. Didn't realize this detail, but you're right, the file is indeed encoded as UTF-8. Out there are lot of skins with files encoded so, even if this has been discussed many times. but probably not everyone read those recommendations.