It is currently April 26th, 2024, 7:43 pm

High CPU usage

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Michal

High CPU usage

Post by Michal »

Hi,
I have an issue with high cpu usage while running rainmeter skin. My pc is not very powerful but I had no issues when I installed skin. I identified that only when I load rainmeter dock and visualizer cpu usage spikes to 15-20 %. I added some custom apps to dock I don't know if that could be causing issue.
I'll be glad for any advice :).
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: High CPU usage

Post by balala »

Michal wrote: March 18th, 2021, 1:53 pm I have an issue with high cpu usage while running rainmeter skin. My pc is not very powerful but I had no issues when I installed skin. I identified that only when I load rainmeter dock and visualizer cpu usage spikes to 15-20 %. I added some custom apps to dock I don't know if that could be causing issue.
No, most probably not the dock, but the visualizer, whatever is that one. A visualizer skin, by definition uses a lot of resources, because they have a more or less low Update value set into the [Rainmeter] section. With greater Update this kind of skins don't work.
Just for a try, increase the Update value of that skin to Update=250, Update=500, or even Update=1000. The skin definitely won't properly work, it'll stumble, but at least see if the CPU usage decreses.
If it doesn't please post the name of the skins you are using, along with proper download links.
Michal

Post by Michal »

I downloaded this
https://www.deviantart.com/apexxx-sensei/art/Lumiero-828277050

It is doing it for dock alone as well. So i changed Update=1000 as suggested, first for deck as it was set to 2 before and observed behavior and it seems to help, then for visualizer same thing but, of course, it makes visualizer unusable. Is there any other workaround that you know of?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Michal wrote: March 18th, 2021, 5:40 pm I downloaded this
https://www.deviantart.com/apexxx-sensei/art/Lumiero-828277050
Are you sure? Has this package a dock and a visualizer? I can't identify them.
Michal wrote: March 18th, 2021, 5:40 pm It is doing it for dock alone as well. So i changed Update=1000 as suggested, first for deck as it was set to 2 before and observed behavior and it seems to help, then for visualizer same thing but, of course, it makes visualizer unusable. Is there any other workaround that you know of?
Update=1000 for visualizers is definitely a not usable approach. I didn't recommend it to use it continouosly, but just to make a try to see if it reduces the CPU usage. As said, visualizers are really "hungry" skins, requiring a lot of resources, exactly due to their low Update. All of them, with no exceptions.
But did the Update=1000 setting reduce the CPU usage? I'm asking this to can identify which skin is culprit, the visualizer or the dock.
Michal

Post by Michal »

You're right this is the file with visualiser and dock
https://mega.nz/file/R4dRFSjD#PvO5Qa1FdbqqEJNhaxgsje4o0R744EVNRKhNOXCSO5w#

And yes setting update=1000 definitely helped with visualizer but also with dock- I tested them separately . So if there was another way to reduce cpu load on visualizer other than update=1000 that would be great.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Michal wrote: March 19th, 2021, 5:56 pm You're right this is the file with visualiser and dock
https://mega.nz/file/R4dRFSjD#PvO5Qa1FdbqqEJNhaxgsje4o0R744EVNRKhNOXCSO5w#
Don't set the Update of none skin below Update=16, because this is the lowest possible value for this option (you have Update=0 on all skins of the Blue Mountain_Theme Folder\Visualizer config). It's true using lower values doesn't create problems (in such cases Rainmeter uses the lowest possible Update=16), but syntactically it's not correct.
Michal wrote: March 19th, 2021, 5:56 pm And yes setting update=1000 definitely helped with visualizer but also with dock- I tested them separately . So if there was another way to reduce cpu load on visualizer other than update=1000 that would be great.
Try to find a good value for the Update, much bellow 1000, but large enough not to have a heavy loading. Not sure what value should you use (especially that this probably depends on the computer as well), but with a few tries I hope you can find a good value.
Michal

Post by Michal »

All right then, I'll do that.

Thank you for help :)
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Michal wrote: March 19th, 2021, 7:34 pm All right then, I'll do that.
Please let me know if you succeed.