It is currently April 24th, 2024, 6:55 pm

Public Service Announcement: Upgrading to HWiNFO 7.0

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Public Service Announcement: Upgrading to HWiNFO 7.0

Post by jsmorley »

CyberTheWorm wrote: March 10th, 2021, 8:59 pm Nice, it has a web server so you should be able to access everything without a plugin, need to try this.
No, the output is all client-side via javascript and WebParser won't be able to access it. This really needs a plugin much like HWiNFO or CoreTemp or Speedfan. Since all sensor monitoring software relies on a ring0 driver to access the VERY sensitive inner workings of your hardware, it must be run in an application that has the highest possible level of security access. That should NOT be Rainmeter. There needs to be some "app" that runs and does the work, which you grant full access to. Then a Rainmeter plugin that accesses the data that the app creates.

I welcome anyone who is decent at C# to take a whack at this.
CyberTheWorm

Post by CyberTheWorm »

Maybe I can use the log file then as it's a CSV file
The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
Deviant Art Page
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

CyberTheWorm wrote: March 10th, 2021, 10:17 pm Maybe I can use the log file then as it's a CSV file
Perhaps, but do you really want something writing to your hard drive once a second?
CyberTheWorm

Post by CyberTheWorm »

jsmorley wrote: March 10th, 2021, 10:20 pm Perhaps, but do you really want something writing to your hard drive once a second?
good point I guess hwInfo stays at 6.x for right now
The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
Deviant Art Page
CrimsonKnight13

Post by CrimsonKnight13 »

y0himba

Post by y0himba »

Alternate thinking: How about a button or checkbox or something that enables re-enables the setting for you when you click it? Is that possible? Is there an automation that would be able to re-enable it every 12 hours?

I'm not as big brain as you younger folks, but is something like this possible?

I was planning on using the gadgets on a 6 inch LCD screen mounted on the front of my PC, this kind of put a damper on my plan.
---
Once up a time there was a now playing signature here. Now it is no more. Maybe someone can make a now playing sig gen for Last.fm? :thumbup:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

y0himba wrote: March 11th, 2021, 10:09 pm Alternate thinking: How about a button or checkbox or something that enables re-enables the setting for you when you click it? Is that possible? Is there an automation that would be able to re-enable it every 12 hours?

I'm not as big brain as you younger folks, but is something like this possible?

I was planning on using the gadgets on a 6 inch LCD screen mounted on the front of my PC, this kind of put a damper on my plan.
While I'm no happier than anyone else about this development, I personally wouldn't be in favor of trying to find a way around this limitation. The author of HWiNFO has been a good guy and done a lot of work on this software for many years without in any way making any real money for all his efforts.

The choice is not hard. If you want to continue to use HWiNFO (or at least stay current with) for Rainmeter skins, you will need to buy it. Otherwise, I think it's time to explore alternatives. CoreTemp and Speedfan are both good pieces of entirely free software, and there are Rainmeter plugins for them. Other software might have possibilities, but that remains to be seen.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

y0himba wrote: March 11th, 2021, 10:09 pm I was planning on using the gadgets on a 6 inch LCD screen mounted on the front of my PC, this kind of put a damper on my plan.
I wouldn't toss out your plans quite yet! The only reason why you'd need HWiNFO is if the gadget you want is for the GPU... AND if your GPU is something super-new. Martin (the HWiNFO author) stated that version 6.42 and previous are free to use forever (i.e., as long they will recognize your hardware). See my original post for a link to a site with an archive of all past versions.

When you think about it, once v6.42 stops working for your hardware, that's when you'd need to pay for a v7.x or later license. Then renew only once it stops working again.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
y0himba

Post by y0himba »

GPU is the MSI Ventus 3x 3080. It supports that so far, so I am going to stick with the freeware. Thank you for the tip!
---
Once up a time there was a now playing signature here. Now it is no more. Maybe someone can make a now playing sig gen for Last.fm? :thumbup:
tjhrulz
Developer

Post by tjhrulz »

jsmorley wrote: March 10th, 2021, 5:53 pm Yes, there may be some hope here:

https://github.com/LibreHardwareMonitor/LibreHardwareMonitor
So I started looking at this and while I have not been able to start probing it within Rainmeter (I reinstalled Windows a while back due to a Windows issue and since then have not managed to get ilmerge & our dllexporter to play nice again since then and I would need ilmerge in order to use their .dll inside a Rainmeter plugin) I did look through the codebase and read their limited documentation.

From what I saw there is no mention of requiring the base program for that library, and the program itself is based on that library. AKA the library they have is not a library to interface with their program and requires the original program to run, but that that library is a standalone version of the program so all the functionality can be embedded inside another program.

So while yes I could write a plugin to interface with this that likely would as you say put Rainmeter to at least admin level access, if not maybe even driver level access. As for maybe trying the webserver route that appears to be using json for the data but it seems to be coming from a minified library I am not familiar with so I am not sure how the data is getting updated on the webpage (It may be that the program is modifying the page directly), we could maybe explore building a headless browser into a plugin and then skins could scrape the webpage that way but that then lacks the simplicity of what I would think we would want to go for (And if we thought the rampage of users wondering why their weather skin is broken again was bad with GET it will be only worse with a headless browser).

PS. You really missed an opportunity for a good LOTR reference in your message to me, you should have said "Rainmeter calls for aid" :p