It is currently April 24th, 2024, 9:59 am

How to launch notification center from a Rainmeter skin?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Lamenter666

How to launch notification center from a Rainmeter skin?

Post by Lamenter666 »

I'm trying to recreate the taskbar, and as such, I need to code in an application to launch the notification center.

Is there already a Rainmeter plugin to do so? Or do I require an .ahk/.exe file? I'd like to request assistance as well in coding the skin if that's possible.

I imagine this is possible, as the Droptop skin by Carboujan allows you to launch to Notification Center, however I can not find the relevant file that does so. It's files seem to be obscured.
https://www.deviantart.com/cariboudjan/art/droptop-four-762812007

Any help appreciated. Thank you. :D
jsmorley
Developer

Re: How to launch notification center from a Rainmeter skin?

Post by jsmorley »

I personally don't believe you can even get to 20% of the functionality of the Windows taskbar using Rainmeter. It's just not what the tool is designed for.

https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15957
Lamenter666

Post by Lamenter666 »

Ah, jsmorley. I don't believe I explained myself well enough. I'm layering rainmeter skins next to and under certain elements of the taskbar to recreate a Unix rice a friend asked for. However, I'd prefer to use a rainmeter skin for the notification centre so I can position it in a better place.

I appreciate that you don't want to compete with other software, such as Windows Blinds. But I felt compelled to try this as 1. I've never done it before, and 2. I've never been able to copy that particular rice on Linux, so I wanted to give it a shot on Unix
deflore08

Post by deflore08 »

Bad link, sorry, it isn't a solution. Well.. You may try to simulate Win+A hotkey through Rainmeter, maybe with AutoHotKey script (but do not ask me how - i don't know).. I can't find how to launch this through powershell. But i assume, it should be possible.. :confused:
Image * Image * Image * Image
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Lamenter666 wrote: February 25th, 2021, 12:11 pm Ah, jsmorley. I don't believe I explained myself well enough. I'm layering rainmeter skins next to and under certain elements of the taskbar to recreate a Unix rice a friend asked for. However, I'd prefer to use a rainmeter skin for the notification centre so I can position it in a better place.

I appreciate that you don't want to compete with other software, such as Windows Blinds. But I felt compelled to try this as 1. I've never done it before, and 2. I've never been able to copy that particular rice on Linux, so I wanted to give it a shot on Unix
Ok, I understand the charm of this, but I repeat that I just don't think you are going to get satisfactory results with Rainmeter when trying to force it to take on the attributes of a "shell". It's really just not that. Some folks may have some ideas for bits and pieces that might help, and I would be the last one to discourage any effort to be creative and think outside the box. I personally can't add anything more to this though. Good luck!
Lamenter666

Post by Lamenter666 »

deflore08 wrote: February 25th, 2021, 12:32 pm Bad link, sorry, it isn't a solution. Well.. You may try to simulate Win+A hotkey through Rainmeter, maybe with AutoHotKey script (but do not ask me how - i don't know).. I can't find how to launch this through powershell. But i assume, it should be possible.. :confused:
Sounds good. I don't know how to use AtoHotKey either, but I've tweaked skins using it previously and I could probably get my head around it with a suitable resource. Any recommendations?
Lamenter666

Post by Lamenter666 »

jsmorley wrote: February 25th, 2021, 12:34 pm Ok, I understand the charm of this, but I repeat that I just don't think you are going to get satisfactory results with Rainmeter when trying to force it to take on the attributes of a "shell". It's really just not that. Some folks may have some ideas for bits and pieces that might help, and I would be the last one to discourage any effort to be creative and think outside the box. I personally can't add anything more to this though. Good luck!
Thanks mate. It's a bit outside the box of what I usually do, but I'm actually liking it. It's a fun project, no matter how clunky it is :)
deflore08

Post by deflore08 »

Lamenter666 wrote: February 25th, 2021, 12:34 pm Sounds good. I don't know how to use AtoHotKey either, but I've tweaked skins using it previously and I could probably get my head around it with a suitable resource. Any recommendations?
Weeell.. It's possible to write an executable file on C++ or any language you prefer, which would just send Win+A combination to system, for example.. Sorry, i am realy don't know what to recommend. :)) my assume is AHK is better way here, but needed some learning. Or deep searching how to operate with interface with powershell.

If you know what to do with source c++ code, i could give you a template for that, what i used some years ago.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Get nircmd from:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.zip

Then put nircmd in a folder under the skin, I recommend @Resources\nircmd\

Then use something like this:

Code: Select all

[MeterExample]
Meter=String
FontSize=13
FontWeight=400
FontColor=255,255,255,255
SolidColor=47,47,47,255
Padding=5,5,5,5
AntiAlias=1
Text=Action Center
LeftMouseUpAction=["#@#nircmd\nircmd.exe" SendKeyPress lwin+A"]

That will open the Windows Action Center when clicked.
deflore08

Post by deflore08 »

Hah, morley!.. Geniously! Thanks. :)