It is currently April 18th, 2024, 11:18 pm

Net In Speed: Sizing Up To Tsk Mgr/Perf or Qbit

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
CodeCode

Net In Speed: Sizing Up To Tsk Mgr/Perf or Qbit

Post by CodeCode »

Hello,

My net in skin seems to be reporting down and up speeds right in line with the Performance Tab in TaskManager - not exact, but close enough per ms.

However if I go by 3rd party applications like qbittorrent the measured speed by that and other apps reporting at 1/10 of the above reporting.

Which is correct, or at least more accurate?
ƈǟռ'ȶ ʄɨӼ ɨȶ ɨʄ ɨȶ ǟɨռ'ȶ ɮʀօӄɛ - ʊռʟɛֆֆ ɨȶ ɨֆ ɨռ ƈօɖɛ.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Net In Speed: Sizing Up To Tsk Mgr/Perf or Qbit

Post by jsmorley »

CodeCode wrote: February 24th, 2021, 12:57 am Hello,

My net in skin seems to be reporting down and up speeds right in line with the Performance Tab in TaskManager - not exact, but close enough per ms.

However if I go by 3rd party applications like qbittorrent the measured speed by that and other apps reporting at 1/10 of the above reporting.

Which is correct, or at least more accurate?
1/8 to be more precise. TaskManager displays the results of network traffic in bits per second, and QBittorent and many other apps that are not about "traffic", but about "file downloading", display in bytes per second. A bit is 1/8th of a byte.

https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/measures/net/
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

That's pretty cool.

In all these years I never really thought there'd be much to that division by 8. Back when 28.8 was considered fast, the difference between bits and bytes was all the rage, then it all just kind of faded behind MB/GB/TB etc etc.

So that is why it is cool to see the old concept still being in play. Once it took over an hour for 1 MB, now we can get up to 30 MB/s.

O.O
ƈǟռ'ȶ ʄɨӼ ɨȶ ɨʄ ɨȶ ǟɨռ'ȶ ɮʀօӄɛ - ʊռʟɛֆֆ ɨȶ ɨֆ ɨռ ƈօɖɛ.
deflore08

Post by deflore08 »

Once i had a similar problem with my net config. Spent whole night to understand why, and finally asked jsmorley. He said the same thing, and i wanted to suicide after that, lol. How we didn't see that? It's so obviously.. :lol:

Also i wanted to make precious net counter depending on a bandwidth.. Spent too much time to understand why it always display x3 values.. Pretty easily, it's wi-fi. :D Bandwidth between laptop and router = ~960Mbit, and router -> server = ~300Mbit.. Whole night spent to "pouring from empty to empty". :lol:
Image * Image * Image * Image