It is currently April 26th, 2024, 6:25 pm

fIs there a Rainmeter addin that can black out a screen or two

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
illavbill

fIs there a Rainmeter addin that can black out a screen or two

Post by illavbill »

Hi,

I have a PC setup with my TV above the desk and 3 monitors on my desk (work from home). I can't just turn off the three screens below because while one of them comes back if I turn it back on, these daisy-chained Dell DisplayPort monitors when I turn them off, Windows seems to forget about them.

I've had all sorts of cool things I've done with RainMeter, but I'd like to be able to just black out the screens below my TV with a tool while I watch a movie or whatever. I'd like to cover/black out 2 screens minimum, 3 if possible. as I still have my TV there.

Win10 is annoying to disable monitors then reenable/replace/blah blah blah when it sees, oh instead of the layout I know with 4 screens, if you only have three on you're going to have to fix it all to work. I'm not a fan. Also two monitors being daisy chained really sucks if I turn one off or disable the source both turn off. I only have 3 ports coming out of my gaming card so I have to make due, but a RainMeter skin/app/whatever they are called that lets me dim or even blank out would be awesome!

Anybody know of one of these or am I out of luck?
jsmorley
Developer

Re: fIs there a Rainmeter addin that can black out a screen or two

Post by jsmorley »

The best way I can think of is to set an entirely black image on each of the monitors you want to black out.

https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/variables/built-in-variables/#MonitorVariables
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/bangs/#Move
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/bangs/#ZPos

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=-1
OnRefreshAction=[!Move "#SCREENAREAX@2#" "#SCREENAREAY@2#"][!ZPos "1"]

[MeterScreen2]
Meter=Image
W=#SCREENAREAWIDTH@2#
H=#SCREENAREAHEIGHT@2#
SolidColor=0,0,0,255
That will very effectively black out my second monitor. So do a skin for each of the monitors you want to black out. You can simply right-click any of the monitors and say "Unload skin" to again display the monitor.
CodeCode

Re: fIs there a Rainmeter addin that can black out a screen or two

Post by CodeCode »

I made a thing as well this has more than two since my rig is insane.

EDIT: Sorry no rmskin attachment = I lost the correct code to package it.

Hint: <ctrl>right-mouse-click will let you get the default context on any skin.

Here is the code for another option, that fades with mouse scroll:

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
Group=Light1

[Variables]
Alpha=255

[MeterQuote]
Meter=Image
ImageName=0.png
ImageAlpha=#Alpha#
X=1
Y=1
H=1079
W=1919
UpdateDivider=-1
MouseScrollUpAction=[!WriteKeyValue Variables "Alpha" "(Clamp((#Alpha#-15),1,255))"][!Refresh]
MouseScrollDownAction=[!WriteKeyValue Variables "Alpha" "(Clamp((#Alpha#+15),1,255))"][!Refresh]
AntiAlias=1
PreserveAspectRatio=1
DynamicVariables=1
0.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ƈǟռ'ȶ ʄɨӼ ɨȶ ɨʄ ɨȶ ǟɨռ'ȶ ɮʀօӄɛ - ʊռʟɛֆֆ ɨȶ ɨֆ ɨռ ƈօɖɛ.