It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 7:47 pm

Issue reducing the size of a skin [solved]

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Fourth Silence

Issue reducing the size of a skin [solved]

Post by Fourth Silence »

Hello.

I'm still relatively new to Rainmeter so please bear with me. I downloaded a Clock skin with the helmet of Daft Punk's Thomas Bangalter and I want to reduce the size of the clock number (the skin's author didn't make a smaller version). I've tried everything I know but, alas, no luck and I don't know what else to do.

This is the original size of the skin (height = 1046, width = 963):

I want it to have a height of 200 and a width of 175 because I want it to fit at the bottom right of my desktop. This is the original code of the Clock face:

[MeterClockFace]
Meter=Image
ImageName=Head.png
h=(1046*#Scale#)
W=(963*#Scale#)
AntiAlias=2

I replaced the values and then deleted the *#Scale# part (never saw that before) and also replaced the values for the hours and minutes with the following values:

h=(38*#Scale#)
W=(33*#Scale#)
X=(50*#Scale#)
Y=(66*#Scale#)
AntiAlias=2

The size of the helmet now has almost the size I wanted but the clock numbers are now so tiny they're unreadable and as you can see they're not anymore on the helmet visor which is where they're supposed to be:

This was just the beginning. I've tried every possible option. I increased the numbers for the H, W, X and Y, I've decreased them, increased them again and they never fit the visor on that size. As a desperate measure I opened each and every .png file with the numbers on Paint and reduced their size to a size that in my mind could fit the visor and it still didn't work. Can you help me, please?
Last edited by Fourth Silence on October 29th, 2020, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
strawberryshortcake

Re: Issue reducing the size of a skin

Post by strawberryshortcake »

Fourth Silence wrote: October 26th, 2020, 2:20 am
Hello.

I'm still relatively new to Rainmeter so please bear with me. I downloaded a Clock skin with the helmet of Daft Punk's Thomas Bangalter and I want to reduce the size of the clock number (the skin's author didn't make a smaller version). I've tried everything I know but, alas, no luck and I don't know what else to do.

This is the original size of the skin (height = 1046, width = 963):

I want it to have a height of 200 and a width of 175 because I want it to fit at the bottom right of my desktop. This is the original code of the Clock face:

[MeterClockFace]
Meter=Image
ImageName=Head.png
h=(1046*#Scale#)
W=(963*#Scale#)
AntiAlias=2

I replaced the values and then deleted the *#Scale# part (never saw that before) and also replaced the values for the hours and minutes with the following values:

h=(38*#Scale#)
W=(33*#Scale#)
X=(50*#Scale#)
Y=(66*#Scale#)
AntiAlias=2

The size of the helmet now has almost the size I wanted but the clock numbers are now so tiny they're unreadable and as you can see they're not anymore on the helmet visor which is where they're supposed to be:

This was just the beginning. I've tried every possible option. I increased the numbers for the H, W, X and Y, I've decreased them, increased them again and they never fit the visor on that size. As a desperate measure I opened each and every .png file with the numbers on Paint and reduced their size to a size that in my mind could fit the visor and it still didn't work. Can you help me, please?
Just change the scale value under the [Variables] section:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainmeter/comments/1k59c1/daft_punk_clocks_by_hthomson/
https://www.deviantart.com/h-thomson/art/Rainmeter-Daft-Punk-Clock-Thomas-388703701

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
Author=H-Thomson

;--------Variables---------

[Variables]
;Scale=0.4
Scale=0.2
EDIT: Also when a code uses two #'s surrounding a word or letter ( #______#, #speed#, #color#, #fontsize#, #U#, #W#, #H#, etc) that usually means it's a variable that the user can change. There's usually a designated place in either the skin.ini, or variable.ini, or setting.ini, or template.ini file for the user to customize/change the variable. It simply makes things easier to change -- change the number in one location, and that'll automatically change the value in multiple locations throughout the skin.

When [Variable]Scale=0.4 ....

h=(38*#Scale#) ... the same as h=(38*0.4)
W=(33*#Scale#) ... the same as W=(33*0.4)
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

In addition to what strawberryshortcake mentioned, it may even be possible to do this like he pointed out, but without modifying the hardcoded parts of the formula (i.e. 1046 and such), assuming a small enough value of the Scale variable. Didn't test it, and it obviously depends on just how far the code is able to modify the scale accurately, but you can try and see if it works.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

strawberryshortcake wrote: October 26th, 2020, 3:50 am EDIT: Also when a code uses two #'s surrounding a word or letter ( #______#, #speed#, #color#, #fontsize#, #U#, #W#, #H#, etc) that usually means it's a variable that the user can change.
Not usually: it ALWAYS means a variable.
Fourth Silence

Post by Fourth Silence »

strawberryshortcake wrote: October 26th, 2020, 3:50 am Just change the scale value under the [Variables] section:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainmeter/comments/1k59c1/daft_punk_clocks_by_hthomson/
https://www.deviantart.com/h-thomson/art/Rainmeter-Daft-Punk-Clock-Thomas-388703701

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
Author=H-Thomson

;--------Variables---------

[Variables]
;Scale=0.4
Scale=0.2
EDIT: Also when a code uses two #'s surrounding a word or letter ( #______#, #speed#, #color#, #fontsize#, #U#, #W#, #H#, etc) that usually means it's a variable that the user can change. There's usually a designated place in either the skin.ini, or variable.ini, or setting.ini, or template.ini file for the user to customize/change the variable. It simply makes things easier to change -- change the number in one location, and that'll automatically change the value in multiple locations throughout the skin.

When [Variable]Scale=0.4 ....

h=(38*#Scale#) ... the same as h=(38*0.4)
W=(33*#Scale#) ... the same as W=(33*0.4)

That's the one I downloaded! From deviantArt. I also downloaded the other clock with Guy Manuel de Homem-Christo's helmet but that one has the option to choose a small version.

So it was just changing the scale... that simple! Clearly I was "knocking at the wrong doors" the whole time. Thank you very much! Also thank you for the youtube video and for the explanation of the *#Scale# bit. Now I understand its purpose. It is very helpful indeed.

Thank you very much once again! :thumbup:
Fourth Silence

Post by Fourth Silence »

Yincognito wrote: October 26th, 2020, 12:41 pm In addition to what strawberryshortcake mentioned, it may even be possible to do this like he pointed out, but without modifying the hardcoded parts of the formula (i.e. 1046 and such), assuming a small enough value of the Scale variable. Didn't test it, and it obviously depends on just how far the code is able to modify the scale accurately, but you can try and see if it works.

I see. Thank you!