It is currently April 27th, 2024, 1:40 am

How to fade a meter?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Nilvarno

Re: How to fade a meter?

Post by Nilvarno »

that makes a lot of sense. so i should add updateretc to all the static images, right?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Nilvarno wrote: October 25th, 2020, 5:38 pm that makes a lot of sense. so i should add updateretc to all the static images, right?
Something like that, yes. If you see that some meter doesn't behave properly after doing that, just comment or remove the newly added UpdateDivider=-1 from it. Not sure just how much you'll gain from this in terms of "saved" CPU usage, but it should help for sure. Generally it's harder to notice the effect of such things in an idle scenario, so most of these things become more obvious in a "stress test", where you have, say, the animation going on, other CPU intensive applications running at the same time, other similar skins loaded, that kind of stuff.

In my case, I had my skin suite behaving well and taking around 1.5% on average when idle, but jumped to over 5% or more when the CPU intensive Chrome (especially when starting up) was on. As soon as I corrected things by adding proper UpdateDivider=-1 to my (animated) meters, the usage dropped to around 2% on average when not idle. Considering the fact that my skins are tiny, minimalist style, you can imagine the effect in a similar situation for larger meters and such.

As you noticed, it makes sense to not update what you don't use often. Just how much effect this will have depends on other things as well, but it's wise to follow it as a general rule.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Nilvarno wrote: October 25th, 2020, 4:53 pm Well, yes my monitor is 4k so i guess it's a big nightmare in yours xD Exactly where should i add the updatedivider thing? I know the whole skin takes its tollerable toll on cpu, but i like customize things to my tastes, and anyway rainmeter is shutted down when i have to use games and high cpu demanding software, so it's fine.
Not sure it worth to exit it. When you want to use such softwares, Game mode is for you.
Yincognito wrote: October 25th, 2020, 5:05 pm Anywhere within the [section] area of each meter, for example:
Well I'm absolutely positive you know, for sure you do, however what has to be said is that there are a few exceptions. Such sections which don't support setting the UpdateDivider are [Rainmeter], [Metadata] and obviously [Variables] (hope you don't mind I added this).
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: October 25th, 2020, 6:52 pmWell I'm absolutely positive you know, for sure you do, however what has to be said is that there are a few exceptions. Such sections which don't support setting the UpdateDivider are [Rainmeter], [Metadata] and obviously [Variables] (hope you don't mind I added this).
Of course I don't mind, but since I specifically mentioned "meters", I believe this excludes all the other categories you mentioned where update dividers don't apply. I'm sure even a beginner can realize meters are the [sections] where you see a Meter=... option. ;-)
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: October 25th, 2020, 8:20 pm Of course I don't mind, but since I specifically mentioned "meters", I believe this excludes all the other categories you mentioned where update dividers don't apply. I'm sure even a beginner can realize meters are the [sections] where you see a Meter=... option. ;-)
Right. Sorry my usual inatention. Again.
However UpdateDivider applies to measures as well.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: October 25th, 2020, 9:03 pm Right. Sorry my usual inatention. Again.
However UpdateDivider applies to measures as well.
No need to apologize - again. It's ok, not to worry. :thumbup:
Yes, update dividers apply to measures too, but since the skin redrawal is the most expensive process in terms of CPU usage especially for large meters, I thought that would be a better starting point in this case. Didn't know what the measures really did either since I can't test the skin, so I skipped them from my post. But yeah, the optimization should be applied to measures as well eventually. For that though, a bit of in-depth look at the skin would be needed (which unfortunately I can't do due to the great difference in screen resolutions between the OP and me). :confused:
Last edited by Yincognito on October 25th, 2020, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: October 25th, 2020, 9:11 pm Yes, update dividers apply to measures too, but since the skin redrawal is the most expensive process in terms of CPU usage especially for large meters, I thought that would be a better starting point in this case. Didn't know what the measures really did either since I can test the skin, so I skipped them from my post. But yeah, the optimization should be applied to measures as well eventually. For that though, a bit of in-depth look at the skin would be needed (which unfortunately I can't do due to the great difference in screen resolutions between the OP and me). :confused:
Obviously depends on a lot of things, however there are cases when a Calc measure for instance can be enoughly complicated to use a lot of resources. Not sure how much, especially related to the resources used by the skin redrawal, but such Calc measure in some circumstances use resources. Howvere it is true such Calc measures usually have to be updated on each update cycle, so this less times applies to these measures.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: October 25th, 2020, 9:32 pm Obviously depends on a lot of things, however there are cases when a Calc measure for instance can be enoughly complicated to use a lot of resources. Not sure how much, especially related to the resources used by the skin redrawal, but such Calc measure in some circumstances use resources. Howvere it is true such Calc measures usually have to be updated on each update cycle, so this less times applies to these measures.
Yep, true that. Never had Calc measures use much resources, but I had really complex formulas involving multiple math functions visibly draining resources, so it's probably the same thing. I also don't use many measures personally, with a few exceptions, so in my case the usage only became noticeable when trying to "hack" a FOR..NEXT loop by self updating measures. That's more of an update rate issue though, so it falls into a different category IMHO.

And yes, you can't really avoid updating Calc measures, because in most cases they are absolutely needed for properly calculating things on each update.
Nilvarno

Post by Nilvarno »

ehy there, i'm trying to keep up with you and making the changes you are suggesting, but i need to make another unrelated answer since you are already here xD
Well, i'm using taskiller to kill specified programas, but i need to kill a windows 10 APP. Is it possible? to open it by rainmeter i'm using a link, but ofc taskiller can't kill the exe by the link.
thank you so much for you time

edit: and another thing xD taskiller makes windows edge close in a bad way, like it warns me and doesn't keep the old tabs open anymore, so, is there a more gentler taskiller that i can use to just close programs and not brutally murder them xD?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Haha, so you spied on me, eh? :sly:

Yes, it's possible to kill a Windows 10 App, since usually it's an executable like any other. Just use the corresponding executable name instead of the "link" name and it should work.

As for controlling the kill brutality, you might want to look at taskkill command parameters here or here. Generally, softer ways to kill a process involve confirmations, but you can use them to save currently opened tabs in order to spawn next time you start the browser.