It is currently April 20th, 2024, 3:51 am

What not to have for XML SKINS to work

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Rain_Seek3r

What not to have for XML SKINS to work

Post by Rain_Seek3r »

After my computer did its daily updates My weather Skin (Large clean) stopped working and i didn't do nothing didnt think it was from my updates because i update all the time and nothing happened

FOR reference to those using anything xml related DO NOT LET windows update install and program called microsoft XML core services 6.0 pack

It stoped applications like rainmeter from getting the xml feed from weather.com

Just wanted to post because it took my a while to fix this issue :Pirate:
jsmorley
Developer

Re: What not to have for XML SKINS to work

Post by jsmorley »

Rain_Seek3r wrote:After my computer did its daily updates My weather Skin (Large clean) stopped working and i didn't do nothing didnt think it was from my updates because i update all the time and nothing happened

FOR reference to those using anything xml related DO NOT LET windows update install and program called microsoft XML core services 6.0 pack

It stoped applications like rainmeter from getting the xml feed from weather.com

Just wanted to post because it took my a while to fix this issue :Pirate:
Well, I think it is at least possible that this is a coincidence. I have Windows automatically apply ALL critical updates and have either applied or hidden all secondary updates and I have had no issue.

Are you on XP or Vista / Win7?
Rain_Seek3r

Post by Rain_Seek3r »

I had the problem in my XP. My windows 7 laptop runs smoothly love it.

Im 99% sure that it wasn't a coincidence. The update was For XP only and after reading its description which im too lazy to copy and paste it sounded like the exact problem. not to mention the weather skin started working as soon as I put uninstall in the control panel.

I just recently also found out that my XP never had automatic updates or stopped at one point (maybe i put not to or my brother who knows)
but my xp hadn't updated in YEARS 2-4 to be exact lol
(it worked fine to never thought anything of it)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Rain_Seek3r wrote:I had the problem in my XP. My windows 7 laptop runs smoothly love it.

Im 99% sure that it wasn't a coincidence. The update was For XP only and after reading its description which im too lazy to copy and paste it sounded like the exact problem. not to mention the weather skin started working as soon as I put uninstall in the control panel.

I just recently also found out that my XP never had automatic updates or stopped at one point (maybe i put not to or my brother who knows)
but my xp hadn't updated in YEARS 2-4 to be exact lol
(it worked fine to never thought anything of it)
Well it is worth noting for XP users indeed then. When was the actual update rolled out? 2 years ago? ;-)
Rain_Seek3r

Post by Rain_Seek3r »

^^^
Yes XP users. And I have no idea when the updated rolled out lol , could be this year for all I know but im thinking thats why some XP users always say they have problems with Weather skins here and other sites like deviantart and customize.org
Chewtoy

Post by Chewtoy »

Nice catch. I see it in my update-list as well. And it's actually two of them. One regular update and a security update.
Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 6.0 Service Pack 2 (KB973686) wrote: Size: 934 KB

Install this update to prevent applications from sending too many HTTP requests while a well-known Document Type Definition (DTD) is included. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information for this update can be found at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973686
Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Service 6.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954459) wrote: Size: 931 KB

A security issue has been identified in Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information for this update can be found at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=128803
I don't think, therefore I'm not.