It is currently April 25th, 2024, 12:35 pm

once again i ask for help

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
aredhone

Re: once again i ask for help

Post by aredhone »

my pc is always one its like a home server build
so that would be no problem and brax thanks again
its quite funny i met you here aswell ima gona change that daycounter now and test it out the skin still works great do even with me changing some stuff like colors and adding stuff its idiot/noob proof
aredhone

Post by aredhone »

hey uhm o am sorry it was miss understand i ment me who is the idiot / noob
changing color was about all i could do befor i came to this forum
i never ment any disrespect to any one
and im realy greatfull for forums like this one
because you can get help from all over the world
if i had to do this without ppl like brax64 and eclectric tec
and all other ppl who helpte me with this i would be still trying to fiqure out how i could combine one shape

so once more for every one that helpte me out with this thanks

and for every one who might have felt disrespect of me being ungratefull im sorry it was never my intention to bite a helping hand
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

aredhone wrote: October 4th, 2020, 11:33 am hey uhm o am sorry it was miss understand i ment me who is the idiot / noob
changing color was about all i could do befor i came to this forum
i never ment any disrespect to any one
and im realy greatfull for forums like this one
because you can get help from all over the world
if i had to do this without ppl like brax64 and eclectric tec
and all other ppl who helpte me with this i would be still trying to fiqure out how i could combine one shape

so once more for every one that helpte me out with this thanks

and for every one who might have felt disrespect of me being ungratefull im sorry it was never my intention to bite a helping hand
No, your interactions here have been perfectly fine. Just a misunderstanding.

People need to keep in mind that while we insist on English on these forums, in order to avoid "silos" of conversations in different languages, not everyone here has English as their first language, and it is quite easy for the subtleties of a language, particularly English, to cause misunderstandings. It pays to give folks the benefit of the doubt if what they are saying is not completely clear and unambiguous.
aredhone

Post by aredhone »

i complytly agree and ofcourse if i do make mistakes do pls corect me like in scriping
thats how we learn
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

brax64 wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 6:22 pm

Code: Select all

[DaysCounter]
Measure=Calc
Formula=(86400-([GetTime:]%86400))
DynamicVariables=1
IfCondition=([DaysCounter] = 86400)
IfTrueAction=[!SetVariable DaysMainTank (#DaysMainTank #+1)][!SetVariable DaysNanoTank (#DaysNanoTank #+1)][!WriteKeyValue Variables DaysMainTank (#DaysMainTank #+1) "#@#DayCount.inc"][!WriteKeyValue Variables DaysNanoTank (#DaysNanoTank #+1) "#@#DayCount.inc"][!UpdateMeterGroup Tanks][!Redraw]
A comment related to the above code: although this time this doesn't matter too much, because the [GetTime] measure is a simple Time measure with no options:

[GetTime]
Measure=Time
and such in cases the [GetTime:] variable is returning the numeric value of the measure. Generally speaking, when beside this a Format is also set on the measure (for instance a Format=%S to get the number of seconds), instead of the [GetTime:] section variable is better to use [GetTime:TimeStamp]. For such a measure (with a Format=%S or whatever option set) [GetTime:] and [GetTime:TimeStamp] are completely different things: first is tnumber of seconds, while second is the numeric time stamp associated with the measure. For instance in the above case [GetTime:] might be 21, while [GetTime:TimeStamp] might be 13246316301. Important difference.
In this particular case, when no Format option is set, [GetTime:] and [GetTime:TimeStamp] are the same, that's why I said in this case [GetTime:] is fine. But generally, it's not.
It's a good idea to form a habit in such direction.
brax64

Post by brax64 »

balala wrote: October 4th, 2020, 5:25 pm A comment related to the above code: although this time this doesn't matter too much, because the [GetTime] measure is a simple Time measure with no options:

[GetTime]
Measure=Time
and such in cases the [GetTime:] variable is returning the numeric value of the measure. Generally speaking, when beside this a Format is also set on the measure (for instance a Format=%S to get the number of seconds), instead of the [GetTime:] section variable is better to use [GetTime:TimeStamp]. For such a measure (with a Format=%S or whatever option set) [GetTime:] and [GetTime:TimeStamp] are completely different things: first is tnumber of seconds, while second is the numeric time stamp associated with the measure. For instance in the above case [GetTime:] might be 21, while [GetTime:TimeStamp] might be 13246316301. Important difference.
In this particular case, when no Format option is set, [GetTime:] and [GetTime:TimeStamp] are the same, that's why I said in this case [GetTime:] is fine. But generally, it's not.
It's a good idea to form a habit in such direction.
Hi balala,
Thanks for the detailed note; I'm aware of the substantial difference between [SomeTimeMeasure:] and [SomeTimeMeasure:TimeStamp]; that exactly the reason why didn't set any format for the [GetTime] measure.
Only a time "counter" was needed for the scope and this was looking to me the simplest form to accomplish it.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

brax64 wrote: October 5th, 2020, 5:15 am I'm aware of the substantial difference between [SomeTimeMeasure:] and [SomeTimeMeasure:TimeStamp]; that exactly the reason why didn't set any format for the [GetTime] measure.
Only a time "counter" was needed for the scope and this was looking to me the simplest form to accomplish it.
Yes, as said in this particular case the two forms of the section variable ([SomeTimeMeasure:] and [SomeTimeMeasure:TimeStamp]) are similar. But if a Format is set, they are not.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

The most reliable way to ensure you get the numeric timestamp value, regardless of the Format used, is to use the form [MyMeasure:TimeStamp].

I would propose that it is just a good habit to get into to use that [MyMeasure:TimeStamp] form any time you are going to use the numeric timestamp value. If you are going to be adding or subtracting seconds in a formula for instance.
brax64

Post by brax64 »

jsmorley, balala

Let me do a brief introduction to what I'm going to say:
I want to reassure you that there's not whatsoever by my side, any intention to be polemic or argumentative, I'm just driven by the sake of learning (also for me too english is not my mother tongue, so bare with me please).

First of all I must thank you both to highlight the subtle, but substantial difference while using [MyMeasure:] and [MyMeasure:TimeStamp], that actually make a very big difference if [MyMeasure] is a time measure.

In this very specific case of my coding, (where I willingly not used the [... :TimeStamp] notation to take advantage of the possibility to use instead [... :] that always return the numeric value of a measure) the time measure is used here as a mere counter, so technically, it's just a number...

That being said, I want to understand why it's not ok, or, at the very least, "formally not right", using the notation [MyMeasure:] widely used to deal with the numeric part of a measure, if properly coded if it is applied in a time based calculation...
I know, I could have used just a Calc measure like

[Cycle]
Measure=Calc
Formula=(Cycle+1)%(86400+1)
IfEqualValue=86400
IfEqualAction=...
and avoid the whole thing but, still, time, IMHO is a number and can be treated as such, am I wrong?
Last edited by brax64 on October 5th, 2020, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

brax64 wrote: October 5th, 2020, 6:00 pm and avoid the whole thing but, still, time, IMHO is a number and can be treated as such, am I wrong?
No, don't misunderstand us. [MyMeasure:] is a perfectly valid section variable, which can be used with no fear. In case of a Calc measure (for instance the posted [Cycle] Calc measure), this variable (in this case [Cycle:]) is returning the numeric value of the measure.
What makes a big difference is in case of Time measures (otherwise the [MyMeasure:TimeStamp] section variable doesn't even exist on any other type of measure, just in case of Time measures). For instance, take the following code:

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
DynamicWindowSize=1

[Variables]

[MeasureSec]
Measure=Time
Format=%S

[MeterData]
Meter=STRING
X=0
Y=0
Padding=15,5,15,5
FontColor=220,220,220
FontEffectColor=0,0,0
StringEffect=Shadow
SolidColor=0,0,0,150
FontSize=8
FontFace=Segoe UI
StringStyle=BOLD
StringAlign=LEFT
AntiAlias=1
DynamicVariables=1
Text=Numeric: [MeasureSec:]#CRLF#Time stamp: [MeasureSec:TimeStamp]
If you load the skin based on the above code, in first line you get the numeric value associated with the [MeasureSec] Time measure (practically the number of seconds returned by the measure) (through the [MeasureSec:] variable, this being a number from 0 to 59), while in second line the time stamp of the same measure (through the [MeasureSec:TimeStamp] variable - and this is a much larger number). I hope you see now the difference between these values.