It is currently September 21st, 2020, 1:08 pm

trying csv to open ...

Help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Yincognito

Re: trying csv to open ...

Post by Yincognito »

dvo wrote: September 14th, 2020, 10:33 am and what you were saying it had to be simple not hard to do this ... if html could do it rm should or could do it to...
so more on the background and little in code ...
Yeah, but HTML uses an array of "languages" to accomplish this: HTML, CSS, Javascript. Rainmeter only has the INI format, which was preserved since its inception, on the basis of simplicity and maintaining backward compatibility. Sure, you can do things in Lua for sure, but it's less easy to understand than doing in native code for most folks.

That being said, creating a separate element for each clickable part is done in HTML as well, where you have as many <a>...</a> tags as there are links - so no different from Rainmeter in that regard. The fact that it takes "less" code (debatable, if you look at some HTML page sources) to do that generally has to do with using CSS to store commonly used "styles". Again, you can pretty much do the same in Rainmeter, using the MeterStyle option. As long as the elements are exactly the same visually, you could do it in just 3 lines per element in Rainmeter as well, like:

Code: Select all

[Meter]
Meter=String
MeterStyle=SomeStyle
and have all the rest of the options - written just once - in [SomeStyle]. Sure, you also have the measures to write, but MeterStyle works for measures as well, as far as I know. Not that it would be really needed for WebParser children, as they only take 4 lines:

[Measure]
Measure=Webparser
URL=[MeasureParent]
StringIndex=N
Bottom line, one has some tools to shorten the code. You only have to use them or use some tricks in order to be able to use them, when using them directly seems impossible (dynamic variables helps in that regard).
dvo

Post by dvo »

but what you see <a href="some-redirect.html" target="_self">ttyrtrytr</a> will do in html for a link and it takes 6 lines to do this in rm...

<a href="some-redirect.html" target="_self">ttyrtrytr</a>
is one line of code has link /name/redirect without css or javascript .. and now rm :

[Measure]
Measure=Webparser
URL=[MeasureParent]
StringIndex=N

[Meter]
Meter=String
MeterStyle=SomeStyle
and this is not even a link yet... ;-) i think we have to simplify the the use of code not defining all, all the time that it should know that it is and it has
the meter and a measure defined in a tag like html has...
Yincognito

Post by Yincognito »

dvo wrote: September 14th, 2020, 11:38 ami think we have to simplify the the use of code not defining all, all the time that it should know that it is and it has the meter and a measure defined in a tag like html has...
Yeah, not possible due to backward compatibility. The devs could probably make it, but then all current skins will become obsolete and have to be rewritten from the ground up. Think of redesigning weather skins but multiplied by thousands at the very least. This format was considered simple and good enough at the start of Rainmeter's development and now we live with the consequences. The good thing is that, as I said, there are solutions to reduce the code length. Not to the level of HTML tags, but much shorter than without any of these solutions being available. :confused:
dvo

Post by dvo »

i have allready 2000 lines in dreamweaver but if i make it compact it will be mutch less :P because i can reduce the tables used a lot... :D
creating 6 lines in 1 line so it will improve a lot later the basics are made only have to add the links next to it and the some styles ... ;-)
Yincognito

Post by Yincognito »

dvo wrote: September 14th, 2020, 3:28 pm i have allready 2000 lines in dreamweaver but if i make it compact it will be mutch less :P because i can reduce the tables used a lot... :D
creating 6 lines in 1 line so it will improve a lot later the basics are made only have to add the links next to it and the some styles ... ;-)
I hope it's worth all this trouble... :D
dvo

Post by dvo »

main part is already done now playing with styling... :D hta file working only need to change links again :(
dvo

Post by dvo »

... new improvements ...
Last edited by dvo on September 19th, 2020, 1:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Yincognito

Post by Yincognito »

dvo wrote: September 17th, 2020, 10:29 am
Made it with hta and html and some active-x, scripts with buttons and anchors can be opend with hta or rainmeter :D works oke :)

Ms-Setting_1.0.rmskin
Excellent! :thumbup:
dvo

Post by dvo »

Made it with hta and html and some active-x, scripts with buttons and anchors can be opend with hta or rainmeter :D works oke :)
new fade and movement and scrollbar included.
ms-settings_1.03.rmskin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.