It is currently April 26th, 2024, 2:38 pm

Trying to move Radar GIF files to TEMP folder

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
pbutler6

Re: Trying to move Radar GIF files to TEMP folder

Post by pbutler6 »

I just want to run it once when the skin is loaded, not on every update. So I just want a Plugin that will run once when the skin is loaded and then turn off.

(The WebParser occasionally downloads a corrupt file. These files fill up the Temp folder. I trying to do some housekeeping and clean out any garbage.)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

pbutler6 wrote: August 21st, 2020, 3:08 am I just want to run it once when the skin is loaded, not on every update. So I just want a Plugin that will run once when the skin is loaded and then turn off.

(The WebParser occasionally downloads a corrupt file. These files fill up the Temp folder. I trying to do some housekeeping and clean out any garbage.)
Revisit my new and improved response...

https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35877&p=182008#p182008
pbutler6

Post by pbutler6 »

Thanks, that works. To get the timing to work I added Disabled=1 to the ImageBoston measure and changed the delete measure to

Code: Select all

[DeleteTempFiles]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=RunCommand
Program=#@#Delete.bat
OutputType=ANSI
FinishAction=[!EnableMeasure ImageBoston]
That seems to do the trick.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

pbutler6 wrote: August 21st, 2020, 2:35 am Your code uses DownloadFile=current.gif which saves the files in the DownloadFile folder of the skin. Saving these files in the skin is causing my backup software to run constantly because these temporary files are constantly being updated. To stop this updating I'm storing the files in my %Temp%/Rainmeter-Cache folder. I can't use DownloadFile= with the %Temp%/Rainmeter-Cache folder, so I can't change the name of the downloaded file.
Ah, yes, my bad, I forgot your environment required that. You're right, but it appears jsmorley already helped you with that.

P.S. Thanks, jsmorley, for covering for me while I was busy with other things (weather.com, other posts, some regex and such). ;-)
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
pbutler6

Post by pbutler6 »

Thanks to mak-kawa, Yincognito, and jsmorley for all your help.

My original Radar skin was creating 10 image files for 3 regions each time it downloaded and storing them in the DownloadFile folder of my Radar skin. With a download every 5 minutes (Update=500, and UpdateDivider and UpDateRate not set) this amounted to 360 files per hour, or over 250,000 downloads a month. My backup software is constantly scanning for changed files. I couldn't find an easy way to just exclude the backup of one folder. While the backup software didn't catch all the changes, the vast majority of my backups became obsolete radar scans.

My new radar skin stores the radar images in my %Temp% folder. They will no longer be backed up.

Northeast Radar_2.0.rmskin

Again, thanks for all the help with this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

pbutler6 wrote: August 22nd, 2020, 11:08 am Thanks to mak-kawa, Yincognito, and jsmorley for all your help.

My original Radar skin was creating 10 image files for 3 regions each time it downloaded and storing them in the DownloadFile folder of my Radar skin. With a download every 5 minutes (Update=500, and UpdateDivider and UpDateRate not set) this amounted to 360 files per hour, or over 250,000 downloads a month. My backup software is constantly scanning for changed files. I couldn't find an easy way to just exclude the backup of one folder. While the backup software didn't catch all the changes, the vast majority of my backups became obsolete radar scans.

My new radar skin stores the radar images in my %Temp% folder. They will no longer be backed up.

Northeast Radar_2.0.rmskin

Again, thanks for all the help with this.
Yeah, well, personally I would never use a backup method that's continuousy scanning my disk for changes. Nowadays I don't do backups anymore, I just do a bare metal install of the OS/programs when I need to, but if I would (and when I did it in the past), I would also make a bare metal backup from outside Windows. Not incremental and all that nonsense, just good old full backup (or if being thorough, sector by sector) from a flash drive or something.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth