It is currently March 19th, 2024, 7:36 am

Weather Skins Not Working

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Weather Skins Not Working

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: July 29th, 2020, 9:18 pm I don't think we can depend on DecodeCharacterReference for this, as that is designed to decode HTML characters references like &#nnnn;, &#xhhhh;, or &name;. This is an unfortunate situation, as I think the only current alternative is some kind of massive lookup / substitution on all these possible characters, which a bunch.
Yep. I'm just working on a skin to automate building that substitute. So far one replacement is done (through converting decimal to hexa), now I'm on the iteration part (this would probably iterate from 0 to 65535^2 or whatever the FFFF is). It will work, that I can guarantee. It remains to be seen if I can finish it tonight and how it will fare on resources (since it uses self updating measures). ;-)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yincognito wrote: July 29th, 2020, 9:24 pm Yep. I'm just working on a skin to automate building that substitute. So far one replacement is done (through converting decimal to hexa), now I'm on the iteration part (this would probably iterate from 0 to 65535^2 or whatever the FFFF is). It will work, that I can guarantee. It remains to be seen if I can finish it tonight and how it will fare on resources (since it uses self updating measures). ;-)
Can you post the API key and URL format that you are using to get the native JSON output? I gather there is a key embedded in the site somewhere, so I suspect it's not a huge "coke formula" secret.

I can't see how any Substitute that iterates through all 1,080,212 characters in the site data 65,536 times can possibly be anything but a resource issue.
DrRoboculous

Re: Weather Skins Not Working - This is the only allowed thread about this

Post by DrRoboculous »

Hey all. So, i tried the 2 steps thing mentioned on a previous post and it didn't work for me but, i have no idea what i'm doing. I've posted on this board before about how i'm just a rainmeter user, not a skinner or coder or anything. Let me try to lay out exactly what i was doing:
I'm currently using the ASTROWeather skin by xxenium. I use Notepad++ to edit the files. I opened C:\Users\[username]\OneDrive\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\ASTROWeather\@Resources\Measures.inc and used the Search & Replace function in Notepad++ to replace all instances of " with //" . Then i opened C:\Users\[username]\OneDrive\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\ASTROWeather\@Resources\Variables.inc and added ,"\\":"" to the end of where that file says URL=https://weather.com/#Language#/weather/today/l/#LocationCode#, right after the #LocationCode# part. Then i tried adding it to after my actual location code. Then i tried adding it to right after both the #Language# and the #LocationCode# part. I never found anything anywhere that said #CommonSubstitute# and the "LocationCode" & "Language" parts were the only parts that had that #[x]# format in the file. So . . . any help?
Some of us need a Fisher-Price: My First Coding Experience section on the forum to explain stuff to us dummies.
Thanks, all. :thumbup:
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: July 29th, 2020, 9:26 pm Can you post the API key and URL format that you are using to get the native JSON output? I gather there is a key embedded in the site somewhere, so I suspect it's not a huge "coke formula" secret.
Yes. I'll do even better - post these and post the skin which automatically builds substitutes. :D

The URL I use to access and test the API JSON (the API Key in it is embedded in the source page - which is used for everyone's access when loading the site in the browser - so it's technically legit):

Code: Select all

https://api.weather.com/v3/aggcommon/v3-wx-observations-current;v3-wx-forecast-daily-15day;v3-location-point?geocode=<latitude>,<longitude>&format=json&units=m&language=en-CA&apiKey=d522aa97197fd864d36b418f39ebb323
The skin that automatically builds substitutes (only from 537 to 540 here, but can be adjusted):

[Variables]
Number=537
NumberMax=540
Quotient=(#Number#)
Result=""
Substitute=""
Base=16
Iteration=0

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
DynamicWindowSize=1
AccurateText=1

---Measures---

[MeasureConvert]
Group=SubstituteGroup
Measure=Calc
Formula=(#Quotient#%#Base#)
UpdateDivider=-1
RegExpSubstitute=1
Substitute="^10$":"A","^11$":"B","^12$":"C","^13$":"D","^14$":"E","^15$":"F","^16$":"G","^17$":"H","^18$":"I","^19$":"J","^20$":"K","^21$":"L","^22$":"M","^23$":"N","^24$":"O","^25$":"P","^26$":"Q","^27$":"R","^28$":"S","^29$":"T","^30$":"U","^31$":"V","^32$":"W","^33$":"X","^34$":"Y","^35$":"Z"
IfCondition=(#Iteration#<4)
IfTrueAction=[!SetVariable Result "[MeasureConvert]#Result#"][!SetVariable Quotient (Trunc(#Quotient#/#Base#))][!SetVariable Iteration (#Iteration#+1)][!UpdateMeasure "MeasureConvert"]
IfFalseAction=[!SetVariable Substitute """#Substitute#"\\u#Result#":"[\x#Result#]","""][!SetVariable Iteration 0][!SetVariable Number (#Number#+1)][!SetVariable Quotient (#Number#+1)][!SetVariable Result ""]
IfCondition2=(#Iteration#>=4) && (#Number#<#NumberMax#)
IfTrueAction2=[!UpdateMeasure "MeasureConvert"]
IfConditionMode=1
DynamicVariables=1

---Meter---

[MeterConvert]
Meter=STRING
X=5
Y=5
FontFace=Consolas
FontColor=255,255,255,255
SolidColor=47,47,47,255
Padding=5,5,5,5
FontSize=16
AntiAlias=1
Text="Substitute = #Substitute#"
DynamicVariables=1
Preview:
Unicode Substitute.jpg
Enjoy. Now both possibilities are open, creating the needed substitute or using the alternate URL.
jsmorley wrote: July 29th, 2020, 9:26 pmI can't see how any Substitute that iterates through all 1,080,212 characters in the site data 65,536 times can possibly be anything but a resource issue.
No. I meant iterating from 0 to 65535^2 in order to build the substitute for all the numbers in the interval (converted to hexa).
Last edited by Yincognito on July 29th, 2020, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

DrRoboculous wrote: July 29th, 2020, 9:54 pm Hey all. So, i tried the 2 steps thing mentioned on a previous post and it didn't work for me but, i have no idea what i'm doing. I've posted on this board before about how i'm just a rainmeter user, not a skinner or coder or anything. Let me try to lay out exactly what i was doing:
I'm currently using the ASTROWeather skin by xxenium. I use Notepad++ to edit the files. I opened C:\Users\[username]\OneDrive\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\ASTROWeather\@Resources\Measures.inc and used the Search & Replace function in Notepad++ to replace all instances of " with //" . Then i opened C:\Users\[username]\OneDrive\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\ASTROWeather\@Resources\Variables.inc and added ,"\\":"" to the end of where that file says URL=https://weather.com/#Language#/weather/today/l/#LocationCode#, right after the #LocationCode# part. Then i tried adding it to after my actual location code. Then i tried adding it to right after both the #Language# and the #LocationCode# part. I never found anything anywhere that said #CommonSubstitute# and the "LocationCode" & "Language" parts were the only parts that had that #[x]# format in the file. So . . . any help?
Some of us need a Fisher-Price: My First Coding Experience section on the forum to explain stuff to us dummies.
Thanks, all. :thumbup:
Put everything back as it was. The way you are going is just not going to work. I would recommend waiting until xxenium updates his skin, after we sort out how best to approach this at a high-level.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yincognito wrote: July 29th, 2020, 9:55 pm Yes. I'll do even better - post these and post the skin which automatically builds substitutes. :D

The URL I use to access and test the API JSON (the API Key in it is embedded in the source page - which is used for everyone's access when loading the site in the browser - so it's technically legit):

https://api.weather.com/v3/aggcommon/v3-wx-observations-current;v3-wx-forecast-daily-15day;v3-location-point?geocode=<latitude>,<longitude>&format=json&units=m&language=en-CA&apiKey=d522aa97197fd864d36b418f39ebb323
What is the format for using a location code instead of lat/long?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: July 29th, 2020, 9:58 pm What is the format for using a location code instead of lat/long?
Hm... I don't know at the moment - I only used it with lat/long in my tests.

EDIT: Instead of a "location code", I believe it's possible to use the locId (the one present in the main page source as well), but that's even longer of course.

EDIT2: Try using the parameters here (i.e. locid, postalKey, etc.), see if it works:

Location Service - Point
URL Construction
Search by Geocode : Required Parameters: geocode, language, format
Returns information for search string ="geoco".
Aggregate Product Name
https://api.weather.com/v3/location/point? geocode=33.74,-84.39 &language=en-US&format=json&apiKey= yourApiKey v3-location-point
Search by Location ID : Required Parameters: locid, language, format
Returns information for search locid = “USWY0183:1:US”.
Aggregate Product Name
https://api.weather.com/v3/location/point? locid=USWY0183:1:US &language=en-US&format=json&apiKey= yourApiKey v3-location-point
Search by Postal Key: Required Parameters: postalKey, language, format
Returns information for search string postalKey = “30339:US” Postal Key is a composite of <Postal Code>:<Country Code>
Aggregate Product Name
https://api.weather.com/v3/location/point? postalKey=30339:US &language=en-US&format=json&apiKey= yourApiKey v3-location-point
Search by IATA Code [location/point only] : Required Parameters: iataCode, language, format
Returns information for search string = “ATL”
Aggregate Product Name
https://api.weather.com/v3/location/point? iataCode=ATL &language=en-US&format=json&apiKey= yourApiKey v3-location-point
Search by ICAO Code [location/point only]: Required Parameters: icaoCode, language, format
Returns information for search string = “KATL”
Aggregate Product Name
https://api.weather.com/v3/location/point? icaoCode=KATL &language=en-US&format=json&apiKey= yourApiKey v3-location-point
Search by Place ID: Required Parameters: placeid, language, format
Returns information for search string = ee0214ae7fb1d265f3e4d2509e77557119b2cac9d0ac1013b593c74a1567f2b7
Aggregate Product Name
https://api.weather.com/v3/location/point? placeid=ee0214ae7fb1d265f3e4d2509e77557119b2cac9d0ac1013b593c74a1567f2b7 &language=en-US&format=json&apiKey= yourApiKey
Last edited by Yincognito on July 29th, 2020, 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yincognito wrote: July 29th, 2020, 10:01 pm Hm... I don't know at the moment - I only used it with lat/long in my tests.

EDIT: Instead of a "location code", I believe it's possible to use the locId (the one present in the main page source as well), but that's even longer of course.
That's not going to work for me. I really wanted to be able to get at it with USVA0944 as an example.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: July 29th, 2020, 10:06 pm That's not going to work for me. I really wanted to be able to get at it with USVA0944 as an example.
See the edit on my previous post.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

To get weather alerts, add "v3alertsHeadlines" into the URL, as in:

https://api.weather.com/v3/aggcommon/v3-wx-observations-current;v3-wx-forecast-daily-15day;v3alertsHeadlines;v3-location-point?format=json&geocode=36.172,-115.13&units=e&language=en-US&apiKey=6532d6454b8aa370768e63d6ba5a832e
This is a Las Vegas query, currently (as of this minute) under a excessive heat warning.