It is currently October 19th, 2020, 8:58 pm

Weather Skins Not Working

Help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Weather Skins Not Working

Post by balala »

Nekayah wrote: September 17th, 2020, 8:47 am Weather skin has stopped working for me again. Is it a known issue or is the problem on my end?
For instance jsmorley's Weather.com does work for me right now. Other weather skins I'm using are also working, so there might be something on your end.
For first try restartin Rainmeter. I mean a complete restart: right click its icon in the notification area and click Exit, then restart it from the Start menu. Has the skin started to work, if you did this?
Nekayah

Post by Nekayah »

balala wrote: September 17th, 2020, 11:37 am For first try restartin Rainmeter. I mean a complete restart: right click its icon in the notification area and click Exit, then restart it from the Start menu. Has the skin started to work, if you did this?
Well, I feel really stupid now. It works after I've done that. I could have sworn I tried already, but maybe I'm just frazzled from all the weather problems that I didn't even check. Thank you very much!
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Nekayah wrote: September 17th, 2020, 12:18 pm Well, I feel really stupid now. It works after I've done that. I could have sworn I tried already, but maybe I'm just frazzled from all the weather problems that I didn't even check. Thank you very much!
Don't worry, it happens sometimes. Glad you got it working.
Some details about what is causing this: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26117&p=136507&p136507#p136507
Yincognito

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: September 17th, 2020, 2:09 pm Don't worry, it happens sometimes. Glad you got it working.
Some details about what is causing this: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26117&p=136507&p136507#p136507
Exactly. Just for reference, since only half of it is covered by jsmorley's skin (i.e. the API method): both the main site and the API method work well.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yeah, if the site has a momentary hiccup and won't retrieve the data, pretty much the worst thing you can do is just hammer refreshes at the skin. I would always allow 5 or 10 seconds between refreshes to be sure you don't hang WebParser.
Nekayah

Post by Nekayah »

balala wrote: September 17th, 2020, 2:09 pm Don't worry, it happens sometimes. Glad you got it working.
Alright, now I understand the problem a bit better, with the WebParser and refreshing too quickly. Thanks again for being so understanding and patient. I rely on the weather skin for my work, it helps to always be aware of the weather at a glance. When it doesn't work, I break out in hives, it's become such an integral extension of my senses. I'm really grateful that you're doing all this work on it! I even waited a few days just so I wouldn't be a pest by asking too soon, before anyone's had time to address it. And I checked around the forum to see if there were any posts...

Reminds me of internet outage problems. Sometimes you need someone outside your head to remind you "did you try resetting the router" even though that's the first thing you ask when someone else has a problem.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Nekayah wrote: September 18th, 2020, 1:35 am I'm really grateful that you're doing all this work on it!
No, I didn't do anything. Just replied your question, but all the work related to weather skins has been done by others: jsmorley, xenium and so on (I definitely didn't list them all, sorry for those who have not been included into the above list).
Cyberaktif

Post by Cyberaktif »

Hi!
I'm trying to fix this issue with the theme Kinetik v2 by Jalyxr (Agalyk), but since I'm a newbie at this.....
It's seems a bit difficult/much to handle! So if anyboby here can help me it would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advanced!
Brgds
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Cyberaktif wrote: September 21st, 2020, 11:20 pm Hi!
I'm trying to fix this issue with the theme Kinetik v2 by Jalyxr (Agalyk), but since I'm a newbie at this.....
It's seems a bit difficult/much to handle! So if anyboby here can help me it would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advanced!
Brgds
Can you provide a download link to 'Kinetik v2'?
Yincognito

Post by Yincognito »

eclectic-tech wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 12:11 am Can you provide a download link to 'Kinetik v2'?
Here it is. The issue of integrating this with jsmorley's INC files is not that difficult, because there are only a couple of weather related measures and meters, at the very beginning of P 2\P 2.ini. I wasn't quite sure what info should be grabbed though, so I let this task to you. ;-)