It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 7:05 pm

HELP - How to get live CPU Speed in my skin?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Hackkerszk

HELP - How to get live CPU Speed in my skin?

Post by Hackkerszk »

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie here. I just used Rainmeter for personal costumization of my PC.
I am using Rainmeter version 4.3.1 (64-bit) running on Windows 10 Home 2004.

I need some help on how do I get a live CPU Speed in my skin, the same cpu speed shown in Task Manager performance tab.
See the attached photo for my current skin for my taskbar. It shows 797.00 and stuck at all, doesnt measure.
rainmeter.JPG
Can you suggest what to edit in my skin setup to achieve a working CPU speed?
SEE the attached INI file.
CPU Taskbar Monitor.ini
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: HELP - How to get live CPU Speed in my skin?

Post by balala »

Hackkerszk wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 5:28 pm Can you suggest what to edit in my skin setup to achieve a working CPU speed?
You've made a complete mix in the [MeasureCPU1Speed] measure: the measure is a Power plugin measure, but the PerfMonObject, PerfMonInstance, PerfMonCounter and PerfMonDifference options belong to an (in meantime deprecated) PerfMon plugin measure.
For what have you asked for, I'm using the CoreTemp plugin. Unfortunately to use this plugin, you have to have installed and running in background the Core Temp app. If you want to give it a try, here is a measure which does what you asked for:

Code: Select all

[MeasureCPU1Speed]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=CoreTemp
CoreTempType=CpuSpeed
RegExpSubstitute=1
Substitute="^(.*)[^k]$":"\1MHz","^(.*)k$":"\1GHz"
Also recommend to set the Update value into the [Rainmeter] section to the default Update=1000, instead of the current Update=500.
Note again that you have to have running the Core Temp app.
CyberTheWorm

Post by CyberTheWorm »

You can always use this too

[MeasureCPUFreq]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=PowerPlugin
Powerstate=MHz
The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
Deviant Art Page
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yeah, but both UsageMonitor and Power are going to return the "rated" speed of the CPU. This is the "stock" speed of the CPU.

If you want the actual speed, including all the overclocking stuff you have done to it with bus multipliers and voltages and whatever, you really need to do that on a "per core" basis, or I guess you can do an "average" of all your cores, but in any case I think it can only be done with an application that is capable of reading the sensors on your PC, like HWiNFO or CoreTemp.

My CPU's stock speed is 3700 mhz, which is what most stuff will say. However:

1.jpg

Hm... There must be a way to get that real-time average real speed from UsageMonitor, as Task Manager has it... I'm not sure right off what to use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

But I do it like this:

HWiNFOcpu_June 22, 2020.rmskin

1.jpg

The HWiNFO application must be installed and running.

The number at the top right is a current "average" for all cores. The next line is about the CPU temperature, then each core, with real-time clock speed, and percent usage.

My CPU's stock speed is 3,700 MHz, but I have it overclocked just a tad, to a maximum of 4,348.8 MHz (yeah, not much, I'm super cautious about heat and I'm terrified of touching voltages). Of course modern CPU's don't just run flat-out at the maximum all the time, but will reduce each core's clock speed when in less use, and ramp it up only when needed. So mine will live in a range from 1,999.5 MHz to 4,348.8 MHz.
Hackkerszk

Post by Hackkerszk »

balala wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 7:22 pm You've made a complete mix in the [MeasureCPU1Speed] measure: the measure is a Power plugin measure, but the PerfMonObject, PerfMonInstance, PerfMonCounter and PerfMonDifference options belong to an (in meantime deprecated) PerfMon plugin measure.
For what have you asked for, I'm using the CoreTemp plugin. Unfortunately to use this plugin, you have to have installed and running in background the Core Temp app. If you want to give it a try, here is a measure which does what you asked for:

[MeasureCPU1Speed]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=CoreTemp
CoreTempType=CpuSpeed
RegExpSubstitute=1
Substitute="^(.*)[^k]$":"\1MHz","^(.*)k$":"\1GHz"
Also recommend to set the Update value into the [Rainmeter] section to the default Update=1000, instead of the current Update=500.
Note again that you have to have running the Core Temp app.
Hi. Thanks for the info. Actually i got the same suggestion also from somebody like this.
Ive heard also that its possible to do this without any other extra apps, like Registry. Is that possible?
Thanks again for sharing. Appreciated it.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Hackkerszk wrote: June 24th, 2020, 3:09 pm Ive heard also that its possible to do this without any other extra apps, like Registry. Is that possible?
I don't know such a way. But there are more possibilities, using different apps. Beside Core Temp (which I recommend), it is possible with HWiNFO as well, as recommended by jsmorley above.
But no way to gat this information without using an app. Me at least don't know such a way, as said above.
Hackkerszk

Post by Hackkerszk »

balala wrote: June 24th, 2020, 3:20 pm I don't know such a way. But there are more possibilities, using different apps. Beside Core Temp (which I recommend), it is possible with HWiNFO as well, as recommended by jsmorley above.
But no way to gat this information without using an app. Me at least don't know such a way, as said above.
No worries bro.
Atleast for now with CoreTemp, it works well.
By the way, how do i get rid of the MHz values, its just too long for me? I Just want a GHz values with one digit and two decimals.
Can you do that code for me?
Thanks again for the effort. You are the best!
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Hackkerszk wrote: June 24th, 2020, 3:29 pm By the way, how do i get rid of the MHz values, its just too long for me? I Just want a GHz values with one digit and two decimals.
Remove the RegExpSubstitute and the Substitute options from the [MeasureCPU1Speed] measure. Also remove the AutoScale option from the [MeterCPU1Speed] meter. Add the following measure to your code:

[MeasureCPU1SpeedGHz]
Measure=Calc
Formula=( MeasureCPU1Speed / 1000 )
This measure returns the speed in GHz. You have to use this one on the [MeterCPU1Speed] meter, so replace its MeasureName option with the following one: MeasureName=MeasureCPU1SpeedGHz. I also would replace the Text option of this meter with Text=%1GHz.
Hackkerszk

Post by Hackkerszk »

balala wrote: June 24th, 2020, 8:35 pm Remove the RegExpSubstitute and the Substitute options from the [MeasureCPU1Speed] measure. Also remove the AutoScale option from the [MeterCPU1Speed] meter. Add the following measure to your code:

[MeasureCPU1SpeedGHz]
Measure=Calc
Formula=( MeasureCPU1Speed / 1000 )
This measure returns the speed in GHz. You have to use this one on the [MeterCPU1Speed] meter, so replace its MeasureName option with the following one: MeasureName=MeasureCPU1SpeedGHz. I also would replace the Text option of this meter with Text=%1GHz.
Where do i put this one Text=%1GHz??
There is no Text=
Only this looks like.

[MeterCPU1Speed]
Meter=String
MeasureName=MeasureCPU1SpeedGHz
X=(#Skin-Width#/2)
Y=0r
FontColor=#Text-Color#
FontSize=#Type-Size#
NumOfDecimals=2
AntiAlias=1
StringAlign=Center
Last edited by balala on June 25th, 2020, 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please use <code> tags whenever are posting code snippets. It's the </> button.