It is currently April 25th, 2024, 10:48 am

NowPlaying Measure not detecting Track info for WMP

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: NowPlaying Measure not detecting Track info for WMP

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: June 18th, 2020, 7:41 pm P.S. By the way, in my skin I do have a dynamic window size option in the [Rainmeter] section, yet the only data I get in the measures for WMP is the status one, so it doesn't seem to work in my case (not that I'm very interested in making WMP work if it doesn't want to, LOL).
Weird, because WMP is a completely supported player, so you should get artist, title, album, track number and everything else as well. Could you please post the not working code please?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: June 18th, 2020, 8:06 pm Weird, because WMP is a completely supported player, so you should get artist, title, album, track number and everything else as well. Could you please post the not working code please?
Well, it's not yet finished and a work in progress (although nearly 85% of it is like I envision it to be, bar some effects in the main skin and the info being passed to the custom tooltip), but is enough to notice the issue. It's going to be part of my upgraded / updated MYiniMeter suite once is done the way I want to:
MYiniMeter - Player_1.4.0.rmskin
P.S. You can modify the player being used by changing the PlayerName variable in Variables.inc from @Resources. This would be done interactively from a Settings skin if the skin was finished, but I didn't get to integrate it into my suite yet, obviously. Right now the player is set to Winamp, to illustrate that everything should be working.

P.S.S. You'd have to use Rainmeter's CTRL+Right Click if you want to access the Rainmeter's context menu for the skin, as every button on the mouse in every area of the skin has an action assigned to it. :D

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it working. It turns out that in my case the skin not working with WMP had nothing to do with a dynamic window size or any other odd thing it should be done, but with the (also odd, in my view) fact that the audio / media being played must be previously added to WMP's "Media Library". Since I don't use WMP to play anything (I use Winamp for audio and PotPlayer for video), I didn't bothered to add anything in WMP's library, thus stuff not working. I guess I should add a notification somewhere about this curious requirement for WMP working with NowPlaying... :???:

EDIT2: Also it seems that using WMP as player is producing some nasty undesired artefacts in the skin when closing the player. Might be some particularity in the code at fault, although I doubt it since everything works more than smoothly when using Winamp as the player.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
BIGGUNS49

Post by BIGGUNS49 »

Does NowPlaying support I-Heart Radio just like it does Spotify...
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: June 18th, 2020, 8:33 pm EDIT: Nevermind, I got it working. It turns out that in my case the skin not working with WMP had nothing to do with a dynamic window size or any other odd thing it should be done, but with the (also odd, in my view) fact that the audio / media being played must be previously added to WMP's "Media Library". Since I don't use WMP to play anything (I use Winamp for audio and PotPlayer for video), I didn't bothered to add anything in WMP's library, thus stuff not working. I guess I should add a notification somewhere about this curious requirement for WMP working with NowPlaying... :???:
:o No, in my case have no such issues. When the player starts, the skin shows the artist, the title and the length, without manually should have to add the track to Media Library.
Yincognito wrote: June 18th, 2020, 8:33 pm EDIT2: Also it seems that using WMP as player is producing some nasty undesired artefacts in the skin when closing the player. Might be some particularity in the code at fault, although I doubt it since everything works more than smoothly when using Winamp as the player.
Yes, this is true.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

BIGGUNS49 wrote: June 19th, 2020, 7:56 am Does NowPlaying support I-Heart Radio just like it does Spotify...
Is this a question or a finding?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: June 19th, 2020, 9:15 am :o No, in my case have no such issues. When the player starts, the skin shows the artist, the title and the length, without manually should have to add the track to Media Library.
Yeah, but you probably set up your Media Library beforehand (i.e. on WMP's first run, after installing your OS, maybe?), didn't you?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: June 19th, 2020, 9:39 am Yeah, but you probably set up your Media Library beforehand (i.e. on WMP's first run, after installing your OS, maybe?), didn't you?
:confused: Have no idea, can't remember... :confused:
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: June 19th, 2020, 9:15 am :o No, in my case have no such issues. When the player starts, the skin shows the artist, the title and the length, without manually should have to add the track to Media Library.

Yes, this is true.
Ok, first, I've experienced the same issue as the OP with a new basic skin using WMP. It looks like the skin or WMP have to run several times until the data provided by NowPlaying becomes available. It' true that the OP had to add a dynamic window size option in order to "see" the result, but that doesn't change the fact that the issue exists.

Anyway, I have a request from you, if you like: please set an UpdateDivider=(#UpdateInterval#/#SlidingUpdate#) in the [MS_NowPlaying_Player] measure in the skin I posted earlier and let me know if you still experience those nasty artefacts when closing WMP. I'm not interested in the delays in the skin's reaction as I already modified my actual skin and all works well, I just want to know if you still experience the issue when closing WMP after setting a bigger update divider on the parent NowPlaying measure (because I do not).

Bottom line, if you don't, then it appears that WMP doesn't like a low update rate of the NowPlaying measure using it.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: June 19th, 2020, 1:31 pm Ok, first, I've experienced the same issue as the OP with a new basic skin using WMP. It looks like the skin or WMP have to run several times until the data provided by NowPlaying becomes available. It' true that the OP had to add a dynamic window size option in order to "see" the result, but that doesn't change the fact that the issue exists.
I think after adding the DynamicWindowSize=1 option, he had no issues. This option fixed all his problems. At least this is what have I understood. Am I wrong?
Yincognito wrote: June 19th, 2020, 1:31 pm Anyway, I have a request from you, if you like: please set an UpdateDivider=(#UpdateInterval#/#SlidingUpdate#) in the [MS_NowPlaying_Player] measure in the skin I posted earlier and let me know if you still experience those nasty artefacts when closing WMP. I'm not interested in the delays in the skin's reaction as I already modified my actual skin and all works well, I just want to know if you still experience the issue when closing WMP after setting a bigger update divider on the parent NowPlaying measure (because I do not).

Bottom line, if you don't, then it appears that WMP doesn't like a low update rate of the NowPlaying measure using it.
Yes, you're right. Adding this option fixed the issue. It's extremely weird to me. Have no explanation... :confused:
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: June 19th, 2020, 3:21 pmI think after adding the DynamicWindowSize=1 option, he had no issues. This option fixed all his problems. At least this is what have I understood. Am I wrong?
No, you're absolutely right - I only mentioned that I had a similar issue of fields not displaying on the first skin runs and it wasn't related to setting a dynamic window size. Of course, this has no connection to the OP's issue (other than it was a similar behavior), which was fixed as per your advice.
balala wrote: June 19th, 2020, 3:21 pmYes, you're right. Adding this option fixed the issue. It's extremely weird to me. Have no explanation... :confused:
Yeah, it turns out WMP is "held captive" (i.e. prevented from closing) on low update rates of the NowPlaying "parent" - you can check that in Task Manager. It's probably related either to the fact that its reaction time is slower than that of Winamp and other lighter players, or to a possible bug in NowPlaying (which probably only occurs on WMP).