It is currently April 25th, 2024, 5:44 pm

Weather skin with webparser no longer works

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
anbr07

Re: Weather skin with webparser no longer works

Post by anbr07 »

jsmorley wrote: June 9th, 2020, 2:39 am Glad to hear it. Just FYI, deleting Rainmeter.ini won't cause you to lose anything at all, except settings for the skins like where on the screen they are, and if they can be dragged and stuff like that. Deleting the .ini won't lose any skins, nor any settings you might have set in variables and such in the skins.
Ok, now i know it. In case it happens again, but it was actually the first time, that Rainmeter ever crashed. I think i'm gonna save me some copy of that custom CPU meters file, all other stuff i'm using is pretty much out of the box.

:thumbup:
anbr07

Post by anbr07 »

jsmorley wrote: June 9th, 2020, 1:59 am What you want to do is open Windows Explorer, (file manager) and paste this in the address field:

%APPDATA%\Rainmeter and hit enter.

Delete the Rainmeter.ini file there.

Now start Rainmeter from the Start menu, and it will be reset to the default. A clean, new Rainmeter.ini will be created. The default illustro skins will be loaded.

I would not recommend loading whatever skin it is that is crashing Rainmeter for you. Or if you do, to try and get it working right, you might want to keep that path above handy...

While possible, it's highly unusual for a skin to just insta-crash Rainmeter. I would be suspicious of some 3rd-party plugin that one of your skins is using. It's possible to create an error that pretty much crashes Rainmeter, mostly by creating an endless loop like:

IfCondition=1 = 1
IfTrueAction=[!Refresh]

That is pretty certain to crash Rainmeter pretty quickly as it tries to refresh the skin over and over forever, as FAST AS IT CAN, which is really, really fast. It will rapidly just eat its own face.

Not too many other ways to insta-crash Rainmeter just using native Rainmeter code, which is why I always suspect some 3rd-party plugin is misbehaving.
For now, i will wait with resetting Rainmeter, cause all other Gadgets modules are working now. maybe i look into it in the afternoon. And yes, that was the first time i had RM crashing, as far as i remember. Maybe somtething went haywire, when i tried a whole bunch of weather and then tried to install Gadgets over an existing version. But thanks again for telling me the trick to re-initialize the program.
anbr07

Post by anbr07 »

SilverAzide wrote: June 9th, 2020, 2:52 am So it's the Weather Meter skin that is causing the issue? The weather.com problems should be OK now, so it sounds like a problem with the skin. Let me know if this is the case. If you load a skin and it crashes Rainmeter, you can edit the Rainmeter.ini file (instead of deleting it) to set the "Active=1" value to "Active=0" for the skin that is causing the problem.
Yep, it was the Weather.com thing. Glad to hear it will work again, once i figure out how to restore the original settings. If i copy back the backup file to its original location, the freeze is instantly back. So there has to be a change inside the weather.ini, which causes the issue. Interestingly, i have renamed that file, and got some message like "path not found" or similar. I have tried to use the Weather Meter. ini (small), but once i have the main .ini renamed, it all doesn't appear in the Gadgets list anymore, so that trick didn't work.
anbr07

Post by anbr07 »

SilverAzide, Gadgets is up an running now, again, including the weather module. I just had to install over it, with the old weather folder being removed. Maybe i had an older version, and something clashed while merging stuff inside the ini files? Anyway, i got it all back now and i'm happy. Thanks!

8-)
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

anbr07 wrote: June 9th, 2020, 3:40 am SilverAzide, Gadgets is up an running now, again, including the weather module. I just had to install over it, with the old weather folder being removed. Maybe i had an older version, and something clashed while merging stuff inside the ini files? Anyway, i got it all back now and i'm happy. Thanks!

8-)
Great news! I'm going to revisit the Weather Meter and see if I can avoid the "restart" loop issue. This issue also happened with older versions of the Gadgets for folks in Australia due to missing weather.com data, but this was fixed a while back. Thanks for your patience, and keep an eye out for the next Gadgets update.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
anbr07

Post by anbr07 »

SilverAzide wrote: June 9th, 2020, 12:52 pm Great news! I'm going to revisit the Weather Meter and see if I can avoid the "restart" loop issue. This issue also happened with older versions of the Gadgets for folks in Australia due to missing weather.com data, but this was fixed a while back. Thanks for your patience, and keep an eye out for the next Gadgets update.
Sorry, man, but the great news only lasted until i booted my machine this afternoon. Then all Rainmeter was completely broken, no window appeared, i couldn't get any reaction from the notification area symbol either. Strangeley, whenever i opened Sysinternal's Process Explorer, the windows came up, but all frozen. Uninstalling and cleaning didn't help, i even tried CCleaner. But after reinstalling a complete new version (latest beta), all layouts and setting where still there, as well as the freeze. So i had to use my imaging program to reset the whole computer to the state of last week. I have deactivated the weather module for now, until i get some idea, what to try next.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

anbr07 wrote: June 9th, 2020, 2:46 pm Sorry, man, but the great news only lasted until i booted my machine this afternoon. Then all Rainmeter was completely broken, no window appeared, i couldn't get any reaction from the notification area symbol either. Strangeley, whenever i opened Sysinternal's Process Explorer, the windows came up, but all frozen. Uninstalling and cleaning didn't help, i even tried CCleaner. But after reinstalling a complete new version (latest beta), all layouts and setting where still there, as well as the freeze. So i had to use my imaging program to reset the whole computer to the state of last week. I have deactivated the weather module for now, until i get some idea, what to try next.
I'm not sure I follow all that, it seems extreme for something where you just need to deactivate a skin before launching Rainmeter, but anyway... Can you go into your Control Panel and select Region, and tell me what the "Format" value is set to. It should be something like "Language (Country)". Thanks!
anbr07

Post by anbr07 »

Well, i also wonder, what happened, but it did. Anyway, the region is set to germany, gregorian calendar, the short format is DD.MM.YYYY, long format ist §weekday, DD. $monthname YYYY, short time 03:55, long time format is 03:55:35.

After my system reset, all works ok now. I had updated to your latest install, it worked fine. The readings inside the weather app also all look ok to me. Don't know, what could have caused the prior problems. I have experimented adding two Illustro modules, but that should be fine, along other skins, i suppose. It looked alright, until the next day. But like i said, it now works. Sorry for the inconvenience. :confused:
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

anbr07 wrote: June 10th, 2020, 2:04 am Well, i also wonder, what happened, but it did. Anyway, the region is set to germany, gregorian calendar, the short format is DD.MM.YYYY, long format ist §weekday, DD. $monthname YYYY, short time 03:55, long time format is 03:55:35.

After my system reset, all works ok now. I had updated to your latest install, it worked fine. The readings inside the weather app also all look ok to me. Don't know, what could have caused the prior problems. I have experimented adding two Illustro modules, but that should be fine, along other skins, i suppose. It looked alright, until the next day. But like i said, it now works. Sorry for the inconvenience. :confused:
OK, cool... Just wanted to make sure your locale is one natively supported by weather.com, so you're OK. Thanks!