It is currently April 26th, 2024, 1:14 pm

Large Artworks Cause Choppy Scrolling

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Large Artworks Cause Choppy Scrolling

Post by balala »

Active Colors wrote: July 7th, 2020, 9:54 am My bad, I supposed this plugin could handle the resizing.
No, it can't, it simply returns the size of an image file. But don't worry, ImageSize is not an included plugin, so if you're not working currently with it, you can't know.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Active Colors wrote: July 6th, 2020, 5:46 pm I talked to the user on different media channel previously. He had a problem with the skin he was using which was updating itself entirely like 10+ times every second, and had at the same time running another skin which had the same problem. It would be a good idea to optimize the skins to have a moderate update rate and make unnecessary meters or measures unapdatable unless there is a need. Secondly, use ImageSize plugin for resizing big images which I think could benefit the resource usage.
So, has the issue been solved or not by setting the Update properly, in the end?
Cause although having very large images displayed is for sure going to produce lags in any program, not just Rainmeter, especially when doing this repeatedly in a short period of time, this issue made me curious about the code. Maybe having the skin (or a simplified version of it) and one or two large image cover media files to test it with would be a good idea... Who knows, maybe the issue can be alleviated somehow.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

Yincognito wrote: July 7th, 2020, 10:54 am So, has the issue been solved or not by setting the Update properly, in the end?
Cause although having very large images displayed is for sure going to produce lags in any program, not just Rainmeter, especially when doing this repeatedly in a short period of time, this issue made me curious about the code. Maybe having the skin (or a simplified version of it) and one or two large image cover media files to test it with would be a good idea... Who knows, maybe the issue can be alleviated somehow.
I found the link, one of the skins was this one. Just by itself it was causing large ram and gpu hits for me, and when having 4000x4000 image it once even crashed my Rainmeter. But also, at the same time the op had another music skin running with Update=16 for having custom lua animations. If I recall correctly he confirmed that unloading the latter skin and modifying the first skin did its work to decrease his gpu spikes.
And of course as you said having very large images displayed is for sure going to produce lags in any program, not just Rainmeter, but overall his problem was the poorly optimized skin and by overloading that skin with a big cover picture caused the huge spikes of gpu.

balala wrote: July 7th, 2020, 10:12 am No, it can't, it simply returns the size of an image file. But don't worry, ImageSize is not an included plugin, so if you're not working currently with it, you can't know.
Yes it was long time ago when I saw this plugin. The memory has a tendancy to detoriate :)
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

And of course I would suggest making a custom solution using AutoIt. In the past I asked my friend to create one for me since I didn't know hot to use it, and it surprisingly took a second to resize a big picture to a small one and set in in the skin.

You can architect it this way:
1. The skin is sending a loaded image to the external program
2. The program resizes the image to the desired resolution and saves it in the skin directory
3. The program sets the path for the image to variables

you can enhance this feature and
A. Pass the images only bigger than specified dimension
B. If you have only one picture to show like a music cover then no need to set the image name as you would already have set the image name to one cover.jpg that would be overwritten once the album cover has been changed
C. Dynamically switch the mode between cover taken directly from player and resized.

It is just a bit complicated but if you really process big amount of lage pictures then it can solve your issue.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Active Colors wrote: July 7th, 2020, 8:56 pmIf I recall correctly he confirmed that unloading the latter skin and modifying the first skin did its work to decrease his gpu spikes.
Oh ok then, it appears the issue was solved / alleviated already. Thanks for confirming it, mentioning the details and posting the links, as it wasn't that clear what was the outcome and how it was achieved from the previous reply. And yes, apart from the large image / short update situation, I also noticed that Lua code (especially one that does animations - and I'm not entirely sure the culprit is the fast update) is consuming a bit too much resources, in my view even more than if those animations were done in "pure" Rainmeter code. I have no idea why is that (maybe the Lua codes aren't properly written / optimized?), but that's what I noticed when dealing with Lua enhanced skins. :confused:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth