It is currently April 18th, 2024, 6:16 pm

Text field?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
andrew_berge

Text field?

Post by andrew_berge »

Hey there, i was wondering if it's possible to make a simple text field, where i can type, copy and paste text.
This kind of thing would be useful for me, as i wouldn't have to create a new text file every time i'll need some registration code, rebate code, etc. A simple 'clear' button would probably be useful, but i think i can figure that part out myself.

So, how should i go about doing this?

Thanks

Andrew
wasky1

Re: Text field?

Post by wasky1 »

dont wanna advertise my own skin but it sounds similar to what you need
http://wasky1.deviantart.com/art/Notes-Plus-155285945
andrew_berge

Post by andrew_berge »

wasky1 wrote:dont wanna advertise my own skin but it sounds similar to what you need
http://wasky1.deviantart.com/art/Notes-Plus-155285945
Downloaded, very interesting.
I'm no rainmeter expert yet (unfamiliar with !bangs and the like, for now), i'm curious as to how it works, could you give a little synopsis?
wasky1

Post by wasky1 »

andrew_berge wrote:
Downloaded, very interesting.
I'm no rainmeter expert yet (unfamiliar with !bangs and the like, for now), i'm curious as to how it works, could you give a little synopsis?
ok just pop the folder that comes in the zip file in C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins
then refresh rainmeter and its ready to go. the image on the preview shows pretty much what it does , you can copy any text from web whatever, then hit the paste button on the skin and it will be displayed for you in the skin. you can press play for it to be spoken, edit to open it in notepad, create to create a document on your desktop ect, have a mess its pretty simple to pick up.
ps keep an eye out if you like it cause im gonna re-up soon with a text input button too!
andrew_berge

Post by andrew_berge »

wasky1 wrote:ok just pop the folder that comes in the zip file in C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins
then refresh rainmeter and its ready to go. the image on the preview shows pretty much what it does , you can copy any text from web whatever, then hit the paste button on the skin and it will be displayed for you in the skin. you can press play for it to be spoken, edit to open it in notepad, create to create a document on your desktop ect, have a mess its pretty simple to pick up.
ps keep an eye out if you like it cause im gonna re-up soon with a text input button too!
Thanks, but i guess i should have worded that better.
I meant a general description of how the programming works, like in your ini file, what exactly does it do to be able to do the things it does, what steps it takes (and why is there a task killer in the skins folder).
I like to understand properly how things like this work so that i can fine tune to my needs.
Thanks.
wasky1

Post by wasky1 »

andrew_berge wrote:
Thanks, but i guess i should have worded that better.
I meant a general description of how the programming works, like in your ini file, what exactly does it do to be able to do the things it does, what steps it takes (and why is there a task killer in the skins folder).
I like to understand properly how things like this work so that i can fine tune to my needs.
Thanks.
ok, when you press play a brilliant little command line tool called nircmd commands the text in your skin to be read. if however youve pressed play and your text is being read but you want it to stop, then you will press stop and this uses taskill to kill nircmd process. i assure you theres nothing fishy going on, taskill and nircmd are completely safe to use and to the best of my knowledge, in no way interfere with your system, and the best thing is unless they have been commanded to do something, they are not running.

here is NirCmd website for you to see which commands it can do
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd2.html
hope this helps you
andrew_berge

Post by andrew_berge »

Oh man, i think i'm going to like nircmd very much.
Okay, i think i know enough about it to be able to tweak this to fit my theme.
Thank you very much, you've been a great help.

Andrew
wasky1

Post by wasky1 »

Anytime =)