It is currently July 10th, 2020, 6:26 am

PerfMon problems [solved]

Help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
djothi
Posts: 2
Joined: May 25th, 2020, 4:09 pm

PerfMon problems [solved]

Post by djothi »

Hi,

I'm having issues with taboo_Vision Skin Rainmeter https://www.deviantart.com/jamien-price/art/taboo-Vision-Skin-Rainmeter-122032577,
more specifically I've located the issue to be with the HDD (hard drive) skin. I've narrowed it down to the PerfMon plugin.

Basically on start-up, rainmeter will fail to load due to it. The skin works perfectly fine it I remove it before rainmeter start & then manually add it. It would work with no issues. However if I close rainmeter & open it, it would not load all the skins due to this skin. I've narrowed it further down to the PerfMon plugin. If I comment that line out, it loads all the plugins.

I've tried replacing the PerfMon plugin with one from a back, reinstalling rainmeter entirely & https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/perfmon-problems-unable-to-add-counters/e90f231d-0014-457d-8b1f-5f342971597a or as recommended here https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/plugins/deprecated/perfmon/ to ""rebuilding" the database from the Windows command line" with success (I get the appropriate return "Successfully rebuilt performance counter setting from system backup store").

However on start-up rainmeter still fails to load due to it, unless I remove it. Please advice? Any suggestions?

Note: on rainmeter log, it just stops at loading that skin & crashes. & importantly the skin & plugin seems to work if I add it manually and not have the skin at start-up. Why is this so?

Edit:
Update, have just found out that PerfMon is depreciated https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/plugins/deprecated/perfmon/ https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/plugins/deprecated/
so I have to replace it with UsageMonitor. Sadly I'm not too experienced but am trying.

Does anyone know how to convert this part of the code that uses PerfMon to UsageMonitor?

Code: Select all

[Mse_DriveAccess]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=PerfMon
PerfMonObject=LogicalDisk
PerfMonCounter="Disk Bytes/sec"
PerfMonInstance="C:"
Many thanks if possible.
Last edited by djothi on May 25th, 2020, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djothi
Posts: 2
Joined: May 25th, 2020, 4:09 pm

Re: PerfMon problems

Post by djothi »

Update:

Solution found:

Code: Select all

[Mse_DriveAccess]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=UsageMonitor
Category=LogicalDisk
Counter="Disk Bytes/sec"
Name=#disk1#
however to excess the value-form it to display need to use below. Above can be used for line char/plotting.

Code: Select all

[Mse_DriveAccessScaled]
Measure=Calc
Formula=Mse_DriveAccess
just replace MeasureName in [Rl_DriveAccess_txt] with the scaled value - not actually scaled but the documentations called all their values as scaled so I followed. Its the actual value - just need to cover it. (if this change is left out, the read/write string display will just show the drive letter) - don't 100% get it but it works ("lol-my code works, I don't know why case")

Code: Select all

[Rl_DriveAccess_txt]
MeasureName=Mse_DriveAccessScaled
Anyway's tested with CrystlDiskMark ensure it recording both read & write successfully & able to reboot rainmeter without it crashing on it.
Unsure if this forum has mark solved - :confused: Anyways Thanks?
User avatar
balala
Rainmeter Sage
Posts: 10998
Joined: October 11th, 2010, 6:27 pm
Location: Gheorgheni, Romania

Re: PerfMon problems

Post by balala »

djothi wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 5:39 pm
however to excess the value-form it to display need to use below. Above can be used for line char/plotting.

Code: Select all

[Mse_DriveAccessScaled]
Measure=Calc
Formula=Mse_DriveAccess
just replace MeasureName in [Rl_DriveAccess_txt] with the scaled value - not actually scaled but the documentations called all their values as scaled so I followed. Its the actual value - just need to cover it. (if this change is left out, the read/write string display will just show the drive letter) - don't 100% get it but it works ("lol-my code works, I don't know why case")
Well, in fact the [Mse_DriveAccess] measure returns a string and a numerical value, which are different. If you wanna show up the numerical value on a String meter and you're using a MeasureName=Mse_DriveAccess option on the String meter, you can't, because this way, it's gonna show the string value of the measure, which in this case is #disk1# (C: probably).
In order to show up the numerical value, without adding an extra Calc measure, you should use the Text option of the string meter as Text=[Mse_DriveAccessUsageMonitor:]. Here [Mse_DriveAccessUsageMonitor:] represents the numerical value of the [Mse_DriveAccessUsageMonitor] measure, which as said, on UsageMonitor plugin measures is different then the string value (C: or #disk1#). If you try this, take care to add a DynamicVariables=1 option as well to the String meter, because [Mse_DriveAccessUsageMonitor:] is a section variable, which requires to set on the dynamic variables.

Additionally note that PerfMon is a deprecated plugin and should not be used anymore.