It is currently April 26th, 2024, 9:36 pm

Rainmeter Ability Question - Yes=Try, No = Done

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Mor3bane

Rainmeter Ability Question - Yes=Try, No = Done

Post by Mor3bane »

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a way to empty the Swap Memory cache with a Rainmeter Function, like everyone likes to do with the Recycle Bin?

If so, what would that look like?

Thanks.
My DevArt Gallery

There are many ways to be different - there is only one way to be yourself - be amazing at it

The law of averages says what it means; even if you get everything right, you will get something wrong. Therefore; self managing error trapping initiates another set of averages - amongst the errors, some of them will not be errors, instead those instances will appear to be "luck". One cannot complain of the 'appearance' of 'infinite regress of causation', even if it does not have a predictable pattern, only that it requires luck to achieve.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Rainmeter Ability Question - Yes=Try, No = Done

Post by jsmorley »

I know of no command-line way to do that, and in fact, I would strongly recommend against it in any case.

Windows 10 is fully capable of clearing memory caches and buffers when necessary or desirable, and it will do a far better job than even the most expert user. There is no benefit in attempting to do so manually and this will in fact impair performance. Having stuff that Windows wants or needs load from crazy fast memory or even carefully managed physical page caching is way, way faster than having to go back and find it on disk.

This is the kind of thing those entirely pointless "memory tuneup" utilities that pollute the internet claim to do. They are at the very best a placebo, at the worst will really slow things down. Never run them.

Let Windows 10 manage your memory. It knows what it is doing. As far as Windows is concerned, "unused memory" is just stupid and pointless. Windows is going to use all the memory it can to make your PC run faster and more efficiently. It knows when it needs to give back some to prioritize things, and you really never need to worry about it. Windows 10 has done an enormous amount of work on memory management, and it is insanely clever.

So ok, you didn't ask "should I?" but "how do I?". The answer to that is I don't know. Sorry.
Mor3bane

Re: Rainmeter Ability Question - Yes=Try, No = Done

Post by Mor3bane »

Thanks js

That is as I suspected, just thought I'd ask here.
My DevArt Gallery

There are many ways to be different - there is only one way to be yourself - be amazing at it

The law of averages says what it means; even if you get everything right, you will get something wrong. Therefore; self managing error trapping initiates another set of averages - amongst the errors, some of them will not be errors, instead those instances will appear to be "luck". One cannot complain of the 'appearance' of 'infinite regress of causation', even if it does not have a predictable pattern, only that it requires luck to achieve.