It is currently May 7th, 2024, 11:58 pm

Temporary storage location of webcam pictures

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Bluescreen2001

Temporary storage location of webcam pictures

Post by Bluescreen2001 »

Hi,

I use the webparser for displaying my housedoor camera picture. I want a quick update rate, so set it to 1 second. After setting up on my new PC with Windows 10 I noticed the Windows temp directory getting flooded with webcam pictures. It seem that on Win10 the deletion of old images does not work properly.

So I set a fixed filename. Now everything works fine. The file now is located in the skins directory in my document folder.
But this folder is in a SSD which now is constantly written over and over again with that picture file. I fear, that I wear out my SSD this way. So is there a way to put the file elsewhere? Is Rainmeter also writing temporary files constantly with other skins?

Modern PCs have tons of RAM, why storing temporary info on disk? I considered installing a RAM drive, but I have not found any setting in Rainmeter to move all temporary data into a specific location, eg. that RAM drive. Or is there a better webcam skin which even do not write a file at all?

Thanks for help
Thorsten

Here are my parameters for that webcam skin:

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
Background=#@#Background.png
BackgroundMode=3
BackgroundMargins=0,34,0,14
AppVersion=13000

[Metadata]
Name=
Config=
Description=
Instructions=
Version=
Tags=
License=
Variant=
Preview=

;End of added Metadata

[Variables]
fontName=Trebuchet MS
textSize=8
colorText=255,255,255,205
URL1_thumb=http://kamera1/snapshot.cgi?user=xxx&pwd=xxx
URL1=http://kamera1/snapshot.cgi?user=xxx&pwd=xxx
UpdThRate=15

[MeasurePic1thumb]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Plugins\WebParser.dll
UpdateRate=5
Url=#URL1_thumb#
Debug=1
StringIndex=1
Download=1
DownloadFile=Webcam.jpg
FinishAction=!RainmeterReDraw

; ----------------------------------
; STYLES are used to "centralize" options
; ----------------------------------

[styleTitle]
StringAlign=CENTER
StringCase=UPPER
StringStyle=BOLD
StringEffect=SHADOW
FontEffectColor=0,0,0,50
FontColor=#colorText#
FontFace=#fontName#
FontSize=10
AntiAlias=1
ClipString=1

[meterTitle]
Meter=STRING
MeterStyle=styleTitle
X=100
Y=12
W=190
H=18
Text="CAMERA"

[MeterPic1thumb]
MeasureName=MeasurePic1thumb
Meter=IMAGE
X=10
Y=40
W=190
H=142
Hidden=0
LeftMouseUpAction=!Execute ["C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" "http://kamera1/videostream.cgi?user=xxx&pwd=xxx&resolution=32"]
;RightMouseDownAction=#URL1#
RightMouseDownAction=[MeasurePic1]

Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Temporary storage location of webcam pictures

Post by Yincognito »

Bluescreen2001 wrote: March 15th, 2020, 3:36 pm Hi,

I use the webparser for displaying my housedoor camera picture. I want a quick update rate, so set it to 1 second. After setting up on my new PC with Windows 10 I noticed the Windows temp directory getting flooded with webcam pictures. It seem that on Win10 the deletion of old images does not work properly.

So I set a fixed filename. Now everything works fine. The file now is located in the skins directory in my document folder.
But this folder is in a SSD which now is constantly written over and over again with that picture file. I fear, that I wear out my SSD this way. So is there a way to put the file elsewhere? Is Rainmeter also writing temporary files constantly with other skins?

Modern PCs have tons of RAM, why storing temporary info on disk? I considered installing a RAM drive, but I have not found any setting in Rainmeter to move all temporary data into a specific location, eg. that RAM drive. Or is there a better webcam skin which even do not write a file at all?

Thanks for help
Thorsten
Maybe using:

Code: Select all

Debug=2
Debug2File=WhateverAbsolutePathAndFileNameHere
instead of Debug=1 and DownloadFile=FileName can help. When using the Download or DownloadFile options, you're limited to relative paths based on folders resiging on C:\, but I guess Debug2File should be able to save it to a different drive than C:\

Reference: Debug2File option in WebParser
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth