It is currently March 29th, 2024, 12:15 pm

Clock skin bug?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
FNTONN

Clock skin bug?

Post by FNTONN »

I'm currently using this skin: https://www.deviantart.com/rainmeter/gallery/45661668/time-and-date
(edit: here's the author, I posted the wrong link and I can't find the original link to it)
Rainmeter_gtbPOHSeUu.png
and I have this problem where as the time passes, the clock looks distorted
Rainmeter_uRWp2I7LZY.png
like so.

How do I fix this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by FNTONN on March 13th, 2020, 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Clock skin bug?

Post by Yincognito »

FNTONN wrote: March 13th, 2020, 1:57 pm I'm currently using this skin: https://www.deviantart.com/rainmeter/gallery/45661668/time-and-date?

and I have this problem where as the time passes, the clock looks distorted Rainmeter_uRWp2I7LZY.png like so.

How do I fix this?
Sorry, friend, but the link you posted yields a list of all the time and date skins, and nobody is going to look through hundreds of skins trying to figure out which one this skin is. If you want folks to see what's going on with this, please post a link of this specific skin (and not of all similar skins). ;-)
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
FNTONN

Post by FNTONN »

Yincognito wrote: March 13th, 2020, 2:06 pm Sorry, friend, but the link you posted yields a list of all the time and date skins, and nobody is going to look through hundreds of skins trying to figure out which one this skin is. If you want folks to see what's going on with this, please post a link of this specific skin (and not of all similar skins). ;-)
sorry, edited it with the author name
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

FNTONN wrote: March 13th, 2020, 2:14 pm sorry, edited it with the author name
Much better. It seems it's this one here. Will check to see what's going on.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I'm suspicious that your graphics hardware is not reacting appropriately when Rainmeter "redraws" a skin that has no "background" to the skin window. What I would do first is go to "Settings" in Manage, and change "Use Hardware Acceleration" to the opposite of whatever you have now. Then restart Rainmeter.

An alternative is to add a "background" to the skin, which will force Windows to redraw the entire skin window.

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
AccurateText=1
BackgroundMode=2
SolidColor=0,0,0,1
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Yes, just tried it and it seems to work fine for me (except the weather/temperature). I have Use Hardware Acceleration disabled, by the way. On the temperature/weather thing I cannot help, unfortunately, since I don't have a DarkSky account or API key. :( That being said, on the skin's page on DeviantArt, there are some instructions that might help with that...

P.S. Of course, there is the option of converting it to use weather.com, which shouldn't be that hard considering it's only temperature. Anyway, I suppose the graphical glitch is the thing that must be solved, not sure if making the weather work is also part of the "question".
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

This skin should really have an invisible but "solid" background on it. That will force windows to entirely redraw the entire window on each update, rather than giving it the option of only redrawing the content of the window, which will vary over time.

Nothing in the skin, not the window background, and not the meters themselves, have anything that creates a solid rectangular area that is redrawn as the values change. So depending on your graphics hardware, and your graphics driver, you can possibly get "artifacts" left behind.

I personally would initially and temporarily set SolidColor=255,0,0,100 so I can see the background. Then I would adjust some of the W and H values on the meters so the skin isn't any larger than it really needs to be. Right now the skin seems excessively large, which once it has a solid background, will cause some issue with where it can be placed on the screen, unless you turn off "Keep on screen" in settings. Once I have it right, then I would go with SolidColor=0,0,0,1
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

I am absolutely sure that guilty is the hardware acceleration, which is on and should have to be turned off, as described above by jsmorley. Try turning if off and restart Rainmeter (very important!).
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

balala wrote: March 13th, 2020, 2:57 pm I am absolutely sure that guilty is the hardware acceleration, which is on and should have to be turned off, as described above by jsmorley. Try turning if off and restart Rainmeter (very important!).
Yes, although I think it is a bad idea in general to have a skin that consists solely of String meters of a variable size, and not have some SolidColor on either the meter(s) or the skin.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: March 13th, 2020, 3:06 pm Yes, although I think it is a bad idea in general to have a skin that consists solely of String meters of a variable size, and not have some SolidColor on either the meter(s) or the skin.
The "moving" text due to the meter's variable size when the alignment is CenterCenter could be solved by using Left alignment. Other than that, appently my video card has no issues with either disabled or enabled hardware acceleration. Some changes occured, but not the artefacts in the OP's screenshot.