It is currently March 29th, 2024, 1:12 am

Copy of System skin not displaying -SOLVED

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
AcmeUK

Copy of System skin not displaying -SOLVED

Post by AcmeUK »

Hi

I am new to Rainmeter and I have a problem.

I have created MyFirstSkin.ini and that works. I have also done the first part of the Launcher Tutorial and that works.

The skin that I want to create is similar to the structure of the System.ini example. The System skin runs fine.

So I created a new skin MySkin, and I copied the code from System.ini and saved it.

I then load MySkin.ini but nothing appears.

Rainmeter manager tells me that the skin is active. No other skins are loaded.

If I replace the code in MySkin.ini with a copy of the code from Launcher.ini it displays as expected.

My editor is Visual Studio Code which must be saving in the correct format as the 2 learner skins work. I have also saved MySkin.ini from Notepad with the same result.

What have I missed?

Thanks Guys
Last edited by AcmeUK on February 25th, 2020, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Copy of System skin not displaying

Post by balala »

AcmeUK wrote: February 25th, 2020, 1:03 pm So I created a new skin MySkin, and I copied the code from System.ini and saved it.

I then load MySkin.ini but nothing appears.
By System.ini you mean the System skin of the illustro suite? I suppose you do and if so, that skin uses an image as background (set up in the Background=#@#Background.png option of the [Rainmeter] section). That image must exist in the @Resources folder of your new config. If it doesn't exist, nothing is shown, exactly as you described.
So, create a @Resources folder within your new config and copy the Background.png image from the @Resources folder of the illustro config, to the newly cretaed @Resources folder. Then refresh the skin. Does it appear?
AcmeUK

Copy of System skin not displaying - SOLVED

Post by AcmeUK »

Hi balala

Thanks for your quick reply.

That worked. I had assumed I was accessing the background correctly as the System.ini code has these lines:-

Background=#@#Background.png
; #@# is equal to Rainmeter\Skins\illustro\@Resources

From what you have told me a @Resorces folder needs to reside within a skins folder.

This make sense as I could not get the calc.png graphic to display in the launcher skin. I had the @Resouces\Images folder at the Rainmeter\Skins level.

Now that I have moved it into the Launcher folder the skin displays as expected.

A lesson learnt :thumbup:

Many thanks

Bill
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Copy of System skin not displaying - SOLVED

Post by balala »

AcmeUK wrote: February 25th, 2020, 2:33 pm A lesson learnt :thumbup:
I'm glad you got it working. Note that as I said, if a Background option is set into the [Rainmeter] section and the appropriate image used into that option doesn't exist in the specified place, the skin shows nothing. Creating and using the @Resources folder is a great idea, usually it's a good thing to have all resource files (including .lua script files, images, sounds, fonts and so on) into this folder.