It is currently April 26th, 2024, 4:47 am

Trouble with RunCommand [solved ... without using Run]

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Trouble with RunCommand

Post by jsmorley »

Mor3bane wrote: February 21st, 2020, 12:40 am The same error again :'(
Well, I'm out of ideas. If the shortcut works when you click on it, it should work when you execute it in Rainmeter.
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

Well I found a related thread in a DA forum (archived)

It said copy ALL of the Physx>>>.dll to the bin_ship directory.

Now it works, with no annoying launcher or desktop icon with just the path i was trying to use.
My DevArt Gallery

There are many ways to be different - there is only one way to be yourself - be amazing at it

The law of averages says what it means; even if you get everything right, you will get something wrong. Therefore; self managing error trapping initiates another set of averages - amongst the errors, some of them will not be errors, instead those instances will appear to be "luck". One cannot complain of the 'appearance' of 'infinite regress of causation', even if it does not have a predictable pattern, only that it requires luck to achieve.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Mor3bane wrote: February 21st, 2020, 1:49 am Well I found a related thread in a DA forum (archived)

It said copy ALL of the Physx>>>.dll to the bin_ship directory.

Now it works, with no annoying launcher or desktop icon with just the path i was trying to use.
This shouldn't have been required, if the program worked fine when using a shortcut on the desktop. I'm just guessing here, but it could have been a permission issue, maybe? I'm not sure how Rainmeter or RunCommand are running things, but if I'm not mistaken, when one is running things from the desktop, the "author" of the execution is the current user, as far as the OS "understands" it.

Anyway, since the issue is solved, there isn't much to "fix" anymore. I was just trying to figure out why it didn't work (when it was supposed to do it).
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

Yincognito wrote: February 21st, 2020, 1:40 pm This shouldn't have been required, if the program worked fine when using a shortcut on the desktop. I'm just guessing here, but it could have been a permission issue, maybe? I'm not sure how Rainmeter or RunCommand are running things, but if I'm not mistaken, when one is running things from the desktop, the "author" of the execution is the current user, as far as the OS "understands" it.

Anyway, since the issue is solved, there isn't much to "fix" anymore. I was just trying to figure out why it didn't work (when it was supposed to do it).
You're likely correct. I changed permissions on the exe, but there is no way to do that in a rainmeter link mouseclick event.
I also run rainmeter in administrator mode, this helps with other mouse events to avoid that annoying permission popup for certain programs.
In any case the solution is satisfactory.
My DevArt Gallery

There are many ways to be different - there is only one way to be yourself - be amazing at it

The law of averages says what it means; even if you get everything right, you will get something wrong. Therefore; self managing error trapping initiates another set of averages - amongst the errors, some of them will not be errors, instead those instances will appear to be "luck". One cannot complain of the 'appearance' of 'infinite regress of causation', even if it does not have a predictable pattern, only that it requires luck to achieve.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Mor3bane wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 4:35 am You're likely correct. I changed permissions on the exe, but there is no way to do that in a rainmeter link mouseclick event.
I also run rainmeter in administrator mode, this helps with other mouse events to avoid that annoying permission popup for certain programs.
In any case the solution is satisfactory.
I see. Well, that settles it. ;-)
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth