Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
biliso6007

I change ini file with no effect

Post by biliso6007 »

Rainmeter 4.3.1.3321 (64-bit
Language: English (1033)
Build time: 2019-09-22 7:26:11
Commit Hash: 0ba4dfc4
Windows 10 Pro 1809 64-bit (build 17763) - English (1033)
Path: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
SkinPath: C:\Users\Bill\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\
SettingsPath: C:\Users\Bill\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\
IniFile: C:\Users\Bill\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini

Im trying to adjust my max download speed for the standard network skin. I changed the network.ini for the maxDownload to read "maxDownload=40000000" for 40 mega bits per sec. I save the file and hit refresh in the rain meter UI but the change makes no difference. I tried the refresh all button as well. also uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail. Any help is appreciated.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: I change ini file with no effect

Post by jsmorley »

biliso6007 wrote: February 6th, 2020, 2:48 am Rainmeter 4.3.1.3321 (64-bit
Language: English (1033)
Build time: 2019-09-22 7:26:11
Commit Hash: 0ba4dfc4
Windows 10 Pro 1809 64-bit (build 17763) - English (1033)
Path: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
SkinPath: C:\Users\Bill\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\
SettingsPath: C:\Users\Bill\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\
IniFile: C:\Users\Bill\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini

Im trying to adjust my max download speed for the standard network skin. I changed the network.ini for the maxDownload to read "maxDownload=40000000" for 40 mega bits per sec. I save the file and hit refresh in the rain meter UI but the change makes no difference. I tried the refresh all button as well. also uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail. Any help is appreciated.
What difference are you expecting?

What that setting will change is the value to be used as 100% on the Bar meter for Download. Unless you are doing something on the network that is receiving a bunch of data, I doubt you will see much on that Bar meter at all. You are seldom going to be using any significant part of your total available bandwidth.

What I would do is change it, refresh the skin, and then go to https://www.speedtest.net. If that value you are using reflects the total download speed your ISP is lying to you about, then the Bar meter should hit 100% or close to it.

* To really be more accurate, what I would do it go to SpeedTest first, run that maybe 4 or 5 times, get a reasonable average for "Download mbps", in my case it is 158 mbps, then multiply that times 1048576 to get it in bits per second, and use that as the value, in my case that is 165748408, and that is a reasonably valid value for "100%" for me. Do the same thing for the Upload max value.

* Whether you want to use megabit (1000000) or mebibit (1048576) is up to you. I think SpeedTest is using mebibit, although I think technically, network data should be measured in megabit.
biliso6007

Post by biliso6007 »

I was expecting that the bar would “scale” compared to my max speed which that may be correct. When i run the speed test I'm averaging around 40 mbps, however the text read out pegs at 4.5 mbps no matter how I change it. Am I missing something that changes the text?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

biliso6007 wrote: February 6th, 2020, 3:34 am I was expecting that the bar would “scale” compared to my max speed which that may be correct. When i run the speed test I'm averaging around 40 mbps, however the text read out pegs at 4.5 mbps no matter how I change it. Am I missing something that changes the text?
The Bar meter is based on a "percentage" and depends on the values for MinValue and MaxValue to determine what "100%" is. The text on a String meter just reflects the actual "value" being returned, and has nothing to do with MinValue and MaxValue.

The text is scaled based on "bytes", not "bits". The way the net measures in Rainmeter work, they "measure" in bits, but "display" in bytes. This is because generally people are looking at it from the standpoint of downloading "files", which are measured in bytes.

If you want the text display in bits and not bytes, you can use this:

https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/measures/net/#UseBits

The MaxValue for a net measure is always set in bits, not bytes, just to fully confuse things...

So if you set the variable maxDownload correctly in BITS, then set UseBits=1 on the two Net measures, what you see in the text should more or less be exactly what you see on SpeedTest.net. The Bar meter doesn't really care, it's just a "percentage", not a value, and will always reflect the "measured value" in bits, divided by the MaxValue in bits.
biliso6007

Post by biliso6007 »

:thumbup: I’ll check on it tomorrow thanks for your help :thumbup:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

biliso6007 wrote: February 6th, 2020, 3:49 am :thumbup: I’ll check on it tomorrow thanks for your help :thumbup:
quitter... ;-)
biliso6007

Post by biliso6007 »

Gotta bring home the bacon ;-)
biliso6007

Post by biliso6007 »

Thank you jsmorley! This works perfectly. I will say that for noobs such as my self knowing where to add the UseBits variable was lost on me. It may be explained on this site clearly somewhere though I didn't find it on this site. Here is how I changed the measures section in the network.ini thought other noobs may want a working example.

Code: Select all

; MEASURES return some kind of value
; ----------------------------------

[measureIP]
; This measure returns your IPv4 address. WebParser measures are relatively complicated. If you're a beginner with
; Rainmeter, take a look at some of the other illustro skins before modifying this one.
; For more information, go here: https://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/ipaddress
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WebParser
URL=https://checkip.amazonaws.com/
UpdateRate=14400
RegExp=(?siU)^(.*)$
StringIndex=1
Substitute="":"N/A"
; Substitute works as follows: "A":"B" where A is a string to substitute and B is a string
; to substitute with. In this case, it substutes "" (i.e. empty) to N/A

[measureNetIn]
Measure=NetIn
UseBits=1
NetInSpeed=#maxDownload#
; NetInSpeed must be set so your maximun download speed for the download bar to scale correctly

[measureNetOut]
Measure=NetOut
UseBits=1
NetOutSpeed=#maxUpload#
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Good deal!