It is currently April 19th, 2024, 11:50 pm

Controlling Wallpaper Engine with Rainmeter Skins? - Please help!

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Bamboo

Controlling Wallpaper Engine with Rainmeter Skins? - Please help!

Post by Bamboo »

Hi all,

It appears it is possible to control Wallpaper Engine via Rainmeter but I cannot figure out or find out how to!

This wallpaper engine devblog (Dec 13th 2019) has a little information on the topic, noting that is possible to
"control or automate wallpaper changes, playback, playlists or even wallpaper properties"
and goes on to say;
"For example, you could create buttons in Rainmeter to control the wallpaper or hotkey macros or you could pop-out several wallpapers..."
It also provides this link to the Wallpaper Engine command line arguments, where it states
"Pro tip: You can run the command from a shortcut, a macro binding or any script/code of your choice."
And so that is what I am attempting to do, using Rainmeter as my "shortcut" to control wallpaper changes. I am not worrying about creating the perfect skins right now but instead I am just trying to get something basic working, like the "-control stop" argument.

Does anybody know how to set something like this up?

Thanks,
Bamboo
DanDaBear

Re: Controlling Wallpaper Engine with Rainmeter Skins? - Please help!

Post by DanDaBear »

Hi Bamboo,

I used E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\wallpaper_engine\wallpaper64.exe -control play
in a LeftMouseUpAction for an icon skin and it works great! :YESSS:

Remember to use quotes around just the path (not the -control play part) if it has spaces. (mine doesn't)

Thanks for the command line link :thumbup:

I now have WallpaperEngine Pause on a left click and Play on a right click of the icon!
Never underestimate the power of stupid! :D
Bamboo

Post by Bamboo »

Apologies for the late reply, but wow - It works perfectly.
No further questions, your honor!

Thanks a lot :)
DanDaBear

Post by DanDaBear »

I got tired of the problem of trying to access the right click menu on my icon launchers when there is a RightMouseUpAction on a skin so I changed it toggle one icon between two different actions.

I created three variables:
ToggleMe, set to 1 initially, which will toggle between 1 and 0

AppChoice0=["E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\wallpaper_engine\wallpaper64.exe" -control pause]
AppChoice1=["E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\wallpaper_engine\wallpaper64.exe" -control play]

For the two different actions, which are pausing and playing the Wallpaper Engine background.

The launcher meter has:
LeftMouseDownAction=[!SetVariable ToggleMe (1-#ToggleMe#)], to toggle the variable.

To launch the action I use a nested variable, [#AppChoice[#ToggleMe]] for the launcher app variable:
Launch0App=[#AppChoice[#ToggleMe]]
which appends AppChoice with the ToggleMe variable, which will be a zero or a one giving us the variable AppChoice0 or AppChoice1

My icon launcher, which started from the tutorial launcher, uses a meter style for doing almost all the work in one place.(see Spoiler below)

I use an include file for the launcher variables, of which there are sixteen (16), also using a nested variable to append the meter name of the #CURRENTSECTION#, which are named Launch1, Launch2, Launch3 etc. all the way up to Launch16, with Icon, Label and App, giving us one of the three variables below:

Launch1Icon=#@#Images\Icons\Calculator.png, the icon.
Launch1Label=Calculator, the tool tip label that pops up on hover.
Launch1App=[Calc.exe], the program or action to launch.

so ImageName=[#[#CurrentSection]Icon] would be: Launch1Icon for the first icon, Launch2Icon for the second icon etc.

Code: Select all

[Style]
;  All the magic happens here!
ImageTint=#TextColor#
X=#Xoffset#r
Y=#IconY#
W=#ICNIconWidth2#
H=#ICNIconWidth2#
SolidColor=0,0,0,1
AntiAlias=1
GreyScale=1
StringAlign=Center
;  Nested variables below (IE: [#[#CurrentSection]Icon] are the key to putting everything in this style!
ImageName=[#[#CurrentSection]Icon]
LeftMouseUpAction=[#[#CURRENTSECTION]App]
MouseOverAction=[!SetOption #CURRENTSECTION# ImageTint #HoverColor#][!SetOption Tip1 Text [#[#CURRENTSECTION]Label]][!SetOption #CURRENTSECTION# H (#ICNIconWidth2#+8)][!SetOption #CURRENTSECTION# W (#ICNIconWidth2#+8)][!SetOption #CURRENTSECTION# Y (#IconY#-4)][!SetOption Tip1 Y #TipY# ][!SetOption Tip1 X "([#CurrentSection#:X]+(#ICNIconWidth2#/2)+2)"][!ShowMeter Tip1][!UpdateMeter *][!Redraw]
MouseLeaveAction=[!SetOption #CURRENTSECTION# ImageTint #TextColor#][!HideMeter Tip1][!SetOption #CURRENTSECTION# H #ICNIconWidth2#][!SetOption #CURRENTSECTION# W #ICNIconWidth2#][!SetOption #CURRENTSECTION# X #Xoffset#r][!SetOption #CURRENTSECTION# Y #IconY#][!UpdateMeter *][!Redraw]
DynamicVariables=1
The icon launchers should be on DeviantArt soon. Soons I finish tweeking them. They are also in my Bordered2Tears, Drop Top and Bottoms Up suites without the toggled icon. The latter two, Drop Top and Bottoms Up are newer.
Never underestimate the power of stupid! :D
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Since this is ALMOST on the same topic, to control stuff inside the wallpapers (for example, if it's a website and you have a few functions you wanna activate), you can use any simple Message Passing plugin to send commands to the container/wallapaper/site/frame...whatever it's called