I have this:

Code: Select all

[MeasureTitle]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=NowPlaying.dll
PlayerName=#Player#
PlayerType=TITLE
Substitue="":""
Now I want to switch out TITLE for COMPOSER, but that option does not exist (at least not in the documentation). Is there any way to get the composer name?

(I am working with this skin: https://www.deviantart.com/hiphopium/art/Mond-762455575)
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Get Composer Name

Post by jsmorley »

I don't believe there is a way with NowPlaying to get that ID3 tag.

I'm not sure that is a tag that is often filled out in an MP3 file. Perhaps if you have a collection of classical music, it might be.
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

Hi onichama and jsmorley

My favourite music genre is mainly rock, blues, jazz and pop music. And almost 90 % of my MP3 files (ripped or purchased) has the Composer ID3 tag, examined by MP3tag application.

I too would be really happy if NowPlaying measure supports Composer ID3 tag because it is an important and interesting information for music listeners.
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

Hi, I'll chime in here but only on the topic rather than discussing functionality specifically. I have found that more often than not, the composer field empty in a very wide array of music. This is primarily I think due to the Artist, yes Artists prefer that title. Simple but true.

So adding an either redundant or outdated concept to rainmeter functionality would be something that 80% of the time would be an empty field is simply, well redundant. But perhaps that is just my opinion and not a determination.
My DevArt Gallery

There are many ways to be different - there is only one way to be yourself - be amazing at it

The law of averages says what it means; even if you get everything right, you will get something wrong. Therefore; self managing error trapping initiates another set of averages - amongst the errors, some of them will not be errors, instead those instances will appear to be "luck". One cannot complain of the 'appearance' of 'infinite regress of causation', even if it does not have a predictable pattern, only that it requires luck to achieve.
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

"almost 90 % of my MP3 files" in my above post is not accurate expression. So, I have counted in tag data exported from MP3tag using Excel. The result is 81.6% of my MP3 files has Composer ID3 tag data.

Composer data might be redundant for some users, but if he doesn't need/want such data, he doesn't have to use/get it, I think.

I would ve really appreciated if Composer PlayerType is added to NowPlaying measure, as Lyrics in 4.3.
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

Maybe I am being too pragmatic.

But composer infers the artist is not the same person - sometimes not. Yet usually the same, even if the field in mp3 files is filled.

mak_kawa - I am not very savvy with excel, what is the ratio from artist and composer being different? Just curious.
My DevArt Gallery

There are many ways to be different - there is only one way to be yourself - be amazing at it

The law of averages says what it means; even if you get everything right, you will get something wrong. Therefore; self managing error trapping initiates another set of averages - amongst the errors, some of them will not be errors, instead those instances will appear to be "luck". One cannot complain of the 'appearance' of 'infinite regress of causation', even if it does not have a predictable pattern, only that it requires luck to achieve.
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

Hi Mor3bane

Alright...I have examined how much Composer information is unique (= not equal to Artist) by Excel. See the attachment. Of course, the data with blank Composer tag are excluded from analysis.
Untitled-1.png
Result is...968 of 1126 (= 86.0 %) Composer information are unique in my MP3 files. I think the Composer ID3 tag information recorded is enough significant and useful.

FYI, majority of my MP3 files are ripped from audio CD using Windows Media Player. I think the MP3 tag information of my ripped MP3 is added from online Microsoft(?) music database at the ripping. So, Composer information seems to be derived from the database and stored. I am not sure how about other ripping tool.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I don't think anyone is opposed to adding Composer on some kind of principle, I would think the more the merrier in this case. The problem is that the original author of NowPlaying has moved on to other things, and is just not available to make changes. I don't know if anyone else is going to be willing to take on the rather complicated code for NowPlaying.
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

Hi jsmorley

Ah... at least it's not me, sadly. :-) I will wait and see hoping the addition of Composer PlayerType to NowPlaying measure by someone heroic...
Last edited by mak_kawa on January 7th, 2020, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

Hey mak_kawa,

I am just wondering, that since the original author of the NowPlaying plugin has moved on, and noting your skill with excel.

Could not that excel data be transferred to an xml dynamically? At lease in the form of a searchable table, given that an xml would have less size etc?

You could then parse the xml for Composer tags and get your string that way, possibly.
My DevArt Gallery