It is currently April 25th, 2024, 5:21 am

Need Help with Text Launcher

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
cam_robert

Need Help with Text Launcher

Post by cam_robert »

Hi everyone
I am trying to make an expandable skin launcher but have run into problems, specifically with the Mouseover/Mouseleave functions. Basically if I glide the cursor too fast over a title, it fails to register the mouseleave function and just hangs on the screen. I am not sure how to explain it.

https://i.imgur.com/e81MMpR.gifv

The expanded text is supposed to fade away when the mouse leaves the area. However as you can see in the above gif when I move the mouse too fast it does not register and therefore doesn't trigger the fade out. I apologize if this is hard to follow, it would be great if someone could test out the skin and tell me how I might go about fixing it.
Launcher2.7z
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mor3bane

Re: Need Help with Text Launcher

Post by Mor3bane »

I think using the !HideFade variety/Bangs in an action queue is what is going on.

You might consider an Calc measure to create the fade mathematically rather than using a Bang in there as the Bang fires on a different queue than the action timer which is generally way too fast for the Bang fade feature to fire evenly.

That said, my math stinks, so i cannot give an example on my own.
My DevArt Gallery

There are many ways to be different - there is only one way to be yourself - be amazing at it

The law of averages says what it means; even if you get everything right, you will get something wrong. Therefore; self managing error trapping initiates another set of averages - amongst the errors, some of them will not be errors, instead those instances will appear to be "luck". One cannot complain of the 'appearance' of 'infinite regress of causation', even if it does not have a predictable pattern, only that it requires luck to achieve.
cam_robert

Post by cam_robert »

Mor3bane wrote: December 18th, 2019, 1:47 am I think using the !HideFade variety/Bangs in an action queue is what is going on.

You might consider an Calc measure to create the fade mathematically rather than using a Bang in there as the Bang fires on a different queue than the action timer which is generally way too fast for the Bang fade feature to fire evenly.

That said, my math stinks, so i cannot give an example on my own.
Interesting idea I'll give it a try, thank you Mor3bane! :great:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

cam_robert wrote: December 18th, 2019, 12:10 am The expanded text is supposed to fade away when the mouse leaves the area. However as you can see in the above gif when I move the mouse too fast it does not register and therefore doesn't trigger the fade out. I apologize if this is hard to follow, it would be great if someone could test out the skin and tell me how I might go about fixing it.
Beside Mor3bane's reply, try increasing the value of the W variable into both files, Launcher2\Launcher.ini and Launcher2\Links\Links.ini. For instance try using W=25 instead of the initial W=5.
Additional issues which I found in the original code:
  • The !Move bang (as in matter of fact most bangs, except probably only !WriteKeyValue) requires two or three parameters, not four. For instance the last parameter of the !Move bang used into the OnUpdateAction option of the [MeasureMoveLinks] measure is useless and ignored. The valid parameters are:
    • X, which is the new horizontal position of the skin you wanna move.
    • Y, the new vertical position.
    • Config, which is an optional parameter.
    No more parameters allowed. You don't have to add the name of the .ini file which has to be moved. Precising the Config (last, optional parameter) is completely enough, because only one skin can be loaded from a config at a time, so Rainmeter knows which one is. That's why you don't have to tell the .ini file.
    This means the above mentioned OnUpdateAction option should be: OnUpdateAction=[!Move "#CURRENTCONFIGX#" "#CURRENTCONFIGY#" "Launcher2\Links"] (note here that I replaced the parenthesis with quotes as well).
  • The [MeasureMoveLinks] measure is posted twice, one after the other. Not needed and in fact in such situation the second occurrence is ignored. Same way you can't use the same option twice (or more times) into a single section. All these have to be unique into a .ini file. This is given even by the structure of these files.
  • Not sure what you wanna do with //, for instance into the UpdateDivider option of both occurrences of the [MeasureMoveLinks] measure, but if you want to comment it out, in Rainmeter (in fact in all files having the structure of a .ini file), commenting out isn't done with // (as in C for example), but with semicolon. So the //UpdateDivider=-1 option should be ;UpdateDivider=-1 (again, supposing this was your intention).