It is currently April 20th, 2024, 9:20 am

Changed wallpaper appears pixelated/blurry

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
A.NB

Changed wallpaper appears pixelated/blurry

Post by A.NB »

Hi everyone, trying to make a skin that shows a button that, once pressed, changes my wallpaper.

All well so far however i noticed that my wallpaper becomes rather blurry and/or pixelated once set using the button. When set using windows settings it's perfectly fine.

Added a gif/video to show what i mean. (hope it's visible)

https://s5.gifyu.com/images/GIF-07.12.2019-00-29-21.gif

Happens with every wallpaper, png, jpg, etc.

Ini looks like this, originally found the code here on the forum:

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000

[Background]
Meter=IMAGE
ImageName=#@#Background.png
ToolTipText=Click to Change Wallpaper.
LeftMouseUpAction=[!SetVariable wallpaper_current "((#wallpaper_current#+1)%3)"]
DynamicVariables=1

[Variables]
wallpaper_id[0]=#@#Wallpaper.png
wallpaper_id[1]=#@#Wallpaper_1.png
wallpaper_id[2]=#@#Wallpaper_2.png
wallpaper_current=0

[MeasureCurrent]
Measure=Calc
Formula=#wallpaper_current#
DynamicVariables=1
RegExpSubstitute=1
Substitute="^0$":"#wallpaper_id[0]#","^1$":"#wallpaper_id[1]#","^2$":"#wallpaper_id[2]#"
OnChangeAction=[!SetWallpaper "[MeasureCurrent]" "Fill"]
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Changed wallpaper appears pixelated/blurry

Post by jsmorley »

You sure you have the Windows setting for the background set to "fill" as well? Need to be talking about apples and apples here.
A.NB

Post by A.NB »

jsmorley wrote: December 6th, 2019, 11:55 pm You sure you have the Windows setting for the background set to "fill" as well? Need to be talking about apples and apples here.
Yep, i tried every other setting too and it's still blurry.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

A.NB wrote: December 7th, 2019, 12:02 am Yep, i tried every other setting too and it's still blurry.
Well, I have no idea why that would be so. Rainmeter simply uses the same routines Windows does to set the wallpaper... Huh...
Yamajac

Post by Yamajac »

Shot in the dark, but it could be a result of rainmeter converting the image to a bmp before making it the windows wallpaper? I think that happens?

Try saving the file as bmp and see if that helps. I can't use the setwallpaper bang so I can't test it for myself but it might fix it, maybe.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yamajac wrote: December 7th, 2019, 12:14 am Shot in the dark, but it could be a result of rainmeter converting the image to a bmp before making it the windows wallpaper? I think that happens?

Try saving the file as bmp and see if that helps. I can't use the setwallpaper bang so I can't test it for myself but it might fix it, maybe.
Perhaps so. I have never run into this before. I took a look at both the original .jpg I'm currently using, and the .bmp that Rainmeter saved in AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter from the !SetWallpaper bang, and I can't see a single pixel of visible difference.

🤷‍♂️
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

Hi A.NB

I am using wallpaper skin with !SetWallpaper bang for a long time, and never have encountered the issue. I checked the Wallpaper.bmp in AppData folder using Photoshop layer function, and see no difference pixel by pixel from original jpeg, as well as jsmorley. It is hardly thought that the issue is caused by Rainmeter's image conversion flaw.

If you provide your wallpaper image to us, maybe we can check the reason.

PS. The link in your post is blocked by Microsoft Edge as "dangerous site", so I couldn't see your animation.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

mak_kawa wrote: December 7th, 2019, 3:12 am PS. The link in your post is blocked by Microsoft Edge as "dangerous site", so I couldn't see your animation.
Although it's not for me and I can open / download it well (posted again below), to be honest I don't see a difference between the two cases when the wallpaper is set through the skin and when it is set directly into Wallpaper settings. I simply can't realize what the difference is. But as it seems every replier above sees it, probably something is going on on my side.
A.NB, could you please post a gif with setting one wallpaper with the Rainmeter skin and a different one "directly"?
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

Thank you balala for upload the image.

I separated this animation gif to layers by Photoshop. And, looking the difference between the first and the end layers, almost no difference can not be noticed. What I see is possibly the slight difference caused by image compression, neither pixelation nor blurring. See the attached image.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

Supplement: In my experience, though not exactly confirmed, the Windows wallpapar display method "fill" seems to enlarge/shrink source image when the width of the image does not match screen width. So in this case, wallpaper display looks slightly "blurry" to my eyes owing to image size modification.

PS. The "fill" method is expressed as "match to width (ページ幅に合わせる)" in Japanese version of Windows.