It is currently April 26th, 2024, 6:25 am

is there a plugin to inidicate, which country my VPN is currently using?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
anbr07

is there a plugin to inidicate, which country my VPN is currently using?

Post by anbr07 »

Hi! I am using the Illustro package, which also has a network meter. But i am looking for some kind of plugin, which would show me the country flag of the VPN location, i am currently using. Of course i could see this inside the VPN GUI, if i open it up from the tray, but a plugin would save me that step.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: is there a plugin to inidicate, which country my VPN is currently using?

Post by jsmorley »

I would think you would just use WebParser.

https://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/webparser-tutorial/

1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anbr07

Post by anbr07 »

That looks promising. But i didn't build a module since ages, so if there is a ready to go package, i would prefer that. Anyway, if not, this is a good point to start, thanks!

Edit: ok, i found the skin installer at the bottom, so everything is ok! :welcome:
Last edited by anbr07 on December 6th, 2019, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

anbr07 wrote: December 6th, 2019, 1:44 pm That looks promising. But i didn't build a module since ages, so if there is a ready to go package, i would prefer that. Anyway, if not, this is a good point to start, thanks!
https://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/examples/WebParserTutorial.rmskin
anbr07

Post by anbr07 »

Yes, i found it, thanks! Almost perfect. Maybe i got to tweak the update value, so that the skim registers changes mor quickly. Now there is a value of 1000, which is seconds, i suppose. I will try to change it to 100. Cool!
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

anbr07 wrote: December 6th, 2019, 1:55 pm Yes, i found it, thanks! Almost perfect. Maybe i got to tweak the update value, so that the skim registers changes mor quickly. Now there is a value of 1000, which is seconds, i suppose. I will try to change it to 100. Cool!
I would not do that. With WebParser, you want to use the UpdateRate option on the parent WebParser measure to control the timing. The Update in the [Rainmeter] section of the skin is not seconds, but milliseconds, and you for sure don't want to hit that site every 100 milliseconds.

So leave Update=1000, and change UpdateRate=3600 in the parent measure to whatever you like. Right now it is at 3600*1000 milliseconds or 3600 seconds, or 1 hour. The default UpdateRate=600 is every 10 minutes, which I would think might be good. You could go to perhaps UpdateRate=60, which would be once a minute, but I would not go any lower than that. Some web site administrators might take a dim view of you hammering their site once a second over long periods of time.

When Update=1000 in the [Rainmeter] section, then UpdateRate in a WebParser parent indeed means "seconds". So it's not too hard to figure out what you need.

https://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/update-guide/
anbr07

Post by anbr07 »

Ok, thanks for the advice, i changed the one value back. Things are working now, great. Just one more question, in order to compactify the window, i have removed the lat/long portion of the skin, which worked so far. Only, that i still have to change the overall window size somewhere, to make the window end after the "city" portion og the skin. Which one would that value be?

Edit: actually, i would even remove more stuff, leaving only the "Country" line in the skin to make it as slim as possible. My Illustro module already tells me the current IP, so that is already redundant. Also, "IP Address Information" could go, as well as Region/City.
Last edited by anbr07 on December 6th, 2019, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

anbr07 wrote: December 6th, 2019, 2:16 pm Ok, thanks for the advice, i changed the one value back. Things are working now, great. Just one more question, in order to compactify the window, i have removed the lat/long portion of the skin, which worked so far. Only, that i still have to change the overall window size somewhere, to make the window end after the "city" portion og the skin. Which one would that value be?

Code: Select all

[MeterBackground]
Meter=Image
W=320
H=203
SolidColor=20,20,20,255
anbr07

Post by anbr07 »

Your too quick, man! :D

Update: i have managed to shrink the whole skin into just one line, matching the width of the Illustro modules. :thumbup: