It is currently April 25th, 2024, 2:17 pm

Need Animation to update at different rate to rest of the skin

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
AgentWindu

Need Animation to update at different rate to rest of the skin

Post by AgentWindu »

Hi,

I started using this skin based on the Star Trek LCARS system: https://www.deviantart.com/jefson/art/LCARS-for-Rainmeter-v2-5-1-Reupload-Jan-29-2017-660304000 it is an amazing skin but due to the skin refresh rate Rainmeter was using quite a chunk of system resources. I have slowed down the skin refresh rate but there is an animation that I still want to run at the "normal speed".

The refresh rate I changed was in the main file location: ~\Rainmeter\Skins\LCARSv2\1920x1080\LCARS-TNG.ini and the animation I would like to speed up is in ~\Rainmeter\Skins\LCARSv2\@Resources\Windows\WindowsTNG\Power.inc

The relevant animation (the warp core) seems to be controlled by these two tags:

Code: Select all

[WarpCoreAnimation]
Meter=IMAGE
MeasureName=CoreCalc
X=110r
Y=-308r
ImageName=#Warp_Core#_Animation_%1
Hidden=1
Group=LCARS-Power | LCARS-Windows

[WarpCore]
Meter=IMAGE
X=0r
Y=0r
ImageName=#Warp_Core#
ImageTint=#LightBlue#
Hidden=1
Group=LCARS-Power | LCARS-Windows
Any help is appreciated, I am still relatively new to Rainmeter so please forgive me if this is obvious
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Need Animation to update at different rate to rest of the skin

Post by balala »

AgentWindu wrote: November 5th, 2019, 11:49 am The refresh rate I changed was in the main file location: ~\Rainmeter\Skins\LCARSv2\1920x1080\LCARS-TNG.ini and the animation I would like to speed up is in ~\Rainmeter\Skins\LCARSv2\@Resources\Windows\WindowsTNG\Power.inc
Power.inc is included into LCARS-TNG.ini (well, in fact @Resources\Windows\WindowsTNG\All.inc is included into LCARS-TNG.ini, but this file includes among others, the Power.inc as well). As such you can't update an included file with different rate then the main skin. The included files doesn't have a different Update value then the main file.
But initially LCARS-TNG.ini has an update set to the default Update=1000. How have you changed it? Have decreased it?
AgentWindu

Post by AgentWindu »

Thanks for the quick response, yes I decreased the main skin to 3600 and that has it refreshing about every 5 seconds. This has decreased the CPU usage but the downside is that some things (like the rotating globe in weather, CPU usage bars and the Battery animation) are moving in slow motion. So could I make an Update= in all the included files and not have one in the main skin, or would that break the skin?
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

I do not follow your situation and contents of the skin package "Star Trek LCARS", especially *.inc files.
But in general, to update specific measure(s)/meter(s) at faster rate than the rest (greater part) of skin, use Update=X and DefaultUpdateDivider=Y in [Rainmeter] section and UpdateDivider=Z in the measure(s)/meter(s) you want.

For example, when you want to update specific measure(s)/meter(s) every 20 milliseconds and the rest of the skin every 5 seconds, set X=20, Y=250, and Z=1. Such as;

[Rainmeter]
Update=20
DefaultUpdateDivider=250

[normalMeasure]
Measure=.....
(no UpdateDivider -> DefaultUpdateDivider value assigned)

[fastMeasure]
Measure=....
UpdateDivider=1

[normalMeter]
Meter=.....
(no UpdateDivider description)

[fastMeter]
Measure=....
MeasureName=fastMeasure (for example)
UpdateDivider=1
I am afraid if I misunderstood something you said. If so, sorry.
AgentWindu

Post by AgentWindu »

mak_kawa wrote: November 6th, 2019, 6:38 am I do not follow your situation and contents of the skin package "Star Trek LCARS", especially *.inc files.
But in general, to update specific measure(s)/meter(s) at faster rate than the rest (greater part) of skin, use Update=X and DefaultUpdateDivider=Y in [Rainmeter] section and UpdateDivider=Z in the measure(s)/meter(s) you want.

For example, when you want to update specific measure(s)/meter(s) every 20 milliseconds and the rest of the skin every 5 seconds, set X=20, Y=250, and Z=1. Such as;

[Rainmeter]
Update=20
DefaultUpdateDivider=250

[normalMeasure]
Measure=.....
(no UpdateDivider -> DefaultUpdateDivider value assigned)

[fastMeasure]
Measure=....
UpdateDivider=1

[normalMeter]
Meter=.....
(no UpdateDivider description)

[fastMeter]
Measure=....
MeasureName=fastMeasure (for example)
UpdateDivider=1
I am afraid if I misunderstood something you said. If so, sorry.
Thanks mate, I'll try that
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

AgentWindu wrote: November 5th, 2019, 11:59 pm Thanks for the quick response, yes I decreased the main skin to 3600 and that has it refreshing about every 5 seconds.
What have you decreased? The main skin had an Update set to the default Update=1000. Setting it to 3600 means a decrease? I don't think...
Plus if you set the Update to 3600, this means one update per 3.6 seconds, not one per 5 seconds.
However mak_kawa is right, you have to lower or decrease (set it to let's say 50, 100 or whatever permitted) the update, add a DefaultUpdateDivider, than set the UpdateDivider of the measures / meters which have to be updated more frequently than Update x DefaultUpdateDivider.
If you pack the whole rewrote config and upload it, you can get much more specific help, then talking just generally.