It is currently April 26th, 2024, 8:13 am

Steam will not load with any icons or launchers (error message)

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
throwitaway19

Steam will not load with any icons or launchers (error message)

Post by throwitaway19 »

No matter what launcher or icon I try, I get the following error when trying to load steam from it:

"Steam - Fatal Error

Failed to load steamui.dll"

Yet a normal Windows Shortcut on the desktop, pointing to the exact same address, works fine... what gives?

Other programs work fine (test itunes, spotify app, and mozilla so far)
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Steam will not load with any icons or launchers (error message)

Post by jsmorley »

throwitaway19 wrote: October 10th, 2019, 12:04 am No matter what launcher or icon I try, I get the following error when trying to load steam from it:

"Steam - Fatal Error

Failed to load steamui.dll"

Yet a normal Windows Shortcut on the desktop, pointing to the exact same address, works fine... what gives?

Other programs work fine (test itunes, spotify app, and mozilla so far)
I would reinstall Steam. This sounds like a path issue. A shortcut can have a "starting folder", but a shell command can't.
throwitaway19

Post by throwitaway19 »

I will say that on PC#1 it was a fresh steam install. One variable is that steam previously resided on a different drive. The fresh install was on a new drive (new Windows install on a new SDD).

On PC#2, steam exists on the same drive as steamapps, but is a different drive than C:\ (rainmeter drive). Not sure if that would cause an issue or not. I will say that I tried a Nexus dock (non-rainmeter), that was able to successfully load Steam via a dock icon there.

Let me know if you think it could still be a steam install issue based on the above added information...
throwitaway19

Post by throwitaway19 »

Steam was clean installed on the new Windows drive. Still not working. Not sure what to do... :(