It is currently April 19th, 2024, 8:23 pm

Weather.com conditions list

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
ashburton1988

Weather.com conditions list

Post by ashburton1988 »

Hi,

I’ve searched high and low for for a definitive list, but can’t find anything myself so hoping the community may be able to help.

Im trying to find a definitive list of all of the condition descriptions used on weather.com so I can set up a substitution in my weather skin to something a bit friendlier.

Any help will be much appreciated!
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Weather.com conditions list

Post by jsmorley »

There really is no list of weather conditions text that can be returned. It's not a standard set that they always use, but I suspect more of a judgement call and human intervention. While some are quite common, like "fair" and "partly cloudy" and the like, I have seen many variations of the conditions text, and I don't think any substitute is ever going to work.

What is standard is the numeric icon code, mapped to a particular icon, but each icon can mean all kinds of different things in terms of the text returned.

This is the list I have of how the icons are mapped, but the text conditions with them are just "more or less what this icon means", and while useful for making sure you use the right icon for the corresponding number, is really of no value in determining what text will be returned for the conditions.

Sorry.

Code: Select all

0	tornado
1	tropical storm
2	hurricane
3	severe thunderstorms
4	thunderstorms
5	mixed rain and snow
6	mixed rain and sleet
7	mixed snow and sleet
8	freezing drizzle
9	drizzle
10	freezing rain
11	showers
12	showers
13	snow flurries
14	light snow showers
15	blowing snow
16	snow
17	hail
18	sleet
19	dust
20	foggy
21	haze
22	smoky
23	blustery
24	windy
25	cold
26	cloudy
27	mostly cloudy (night)
28	mostly cloudy (day)
29	partly cloudy (night)
30	partly cloudy (day)
31	clear (night)
32	sunny
33	fair (night)
34	fair (day)
35	mixed rain and hail
36	hot
37	isolated thunderstorms
38	scattered thunderstorms
39	scattered thunderstorms
40	scattered showers
41	heavy snow
42	scattered snow showers
43	heavy snow
44	partly cloudy
45	thundershowers
46	snow showers
47	isolated thundershowers
ashburton1988

Post by ashburton1988 »

Ah ok, that makes sense, and thanks for the ultra fast reply!

I may have to try and work from the icon code instead then. I’d just rather have something like “Light showers in the morning” in place of “AM Light Showers”
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

ashburton1988 wrote: May 30th, 2019, 5:07 pm Ah ok, that makes sense, and thanks for the ultra fast reply!

I may have to try and work from the icon code instead then. I’d just rather have something like “Light showers in the morning” in place of “AM Light Showers”
Well, you can do the Substitute on a case-by-case basis as you see things you don't like, but I fear it is a long-term project that will never be 100% finished.

Eskimos have 1,000 ways to say "it's snowing" and all that... ;-)
ashburton1988

Post by ashburton1988 »

jsmorley wrote: May 30th, 2019, 5:11 pm Well, you can do the Substitute on a case-by-case basis as you see things you don't like, but I fear it is a long-term project that will never be 100% finished.

Eskimos have 1,000 ways to say "it's snowing" and all that... ;-)
Sad as it may be I might just do that...a few hours trawling for different conditions should get me a fairly lengthy list :)