It is currently April 25th, 2024, 5:32 pm

Can you install a skin on a USB? If so, how?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins

Can you install a skin on a USB? If so, how?

Post by 194 »

I found a really cool Iron Man skin and I want to download it but it downloads to my C: drive, when I installed Rainmeter on my D: drive.
I don't have alot of space on my C: drive so I can't download it. Does anyone know how to install a skin on a USB?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Can you install a skin on a USB? If so, how?

Post by balala »

194 wrote: May 24th, 2019, 7:50 pm I found a really cool Iron Man skin and I want to download it but it downloads to my C: drive, when I installed Rainmeter on my D: drive.
I don't have alot of space on my C: drive so I can't download it. Does anyone know how to install a skin on a USB?
Hard to follow.
Where does the OS downloads a file has nothing to do with the installation of Rainmeter. You have to set the download location into your browser, not in Rainmeter.
The skins on the other hand are ALWAYS installed into the Skins folder. This is usually located onto C:, but not absolutely necessary. For example me have it on my D: partition.
If you're using a portable installation of Rainmeter, it can be on a USB and in a such case, the skins are installed there.
Not sure I answered your question. Did I?
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

194 wrote: May 24th, 2019, 7:50 pm I found a really cool Iron Man skin and I want to download it but it downloads to my C: drive, when I installed Rainmeter on my D: drive.
Run the Rainmeter Installation program and select a Portable Installation to install Rainmeter on a USB drive.
The difference with a portable install versus standard is all program, skins, and settings folders and files will remain in the selected installation program folder.

Rainmeter can run on any computer by simply plugging in that USB drive and starting Rainmeter.exe.
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

If you are using Chrome - go to settings and check the default download location - there you chan change it to ask each time you download.

As for installing the rmskin file it shouldnt be too odd to change the file extension to .zip and extract it to your D: drive Skins folder
My DevArt Gallery

There are many ways to be different - there is only one way to be yourself - be amazing at it

The law of averages says what it means; even if you get everything right, you will get something wrong. Therefore; self managing error trapping initiates another set of averages - amongst the errors, some of them will not be errors, instead those instances will appear to be "luck". One cannot complain of the 'appearance' of 'infinite regress of causation', even if it does not have a predictable pattern, only that it requires luck to achieve.