It is currently April 26th, 2024, 5:10 pm

Rainmeter consumes CPU very high

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
chuchay

Rainmeter consumes CPU very high

Post by chuchay »

Well, i am glad that i found this app, but eversince i installed it, IT has been eating my CPU resources big time, imagine IT is always on 10-50 range on the CPU column of the task manager.

I am using windows 7 RC x64 (pentium dual-core 2ghz 3gb ram) and using rainmeter 1.1 x64 (the problems stays the same on rainmeter 1.1 32bit and rainmeter 1.2 32&64 bit)

Can this resource hogging be fixed????? i mean i don't think it is a worthwhile consequence for this resource meter to TAKE ALL my cpu resources. If this will be fixed, then i will definitely make this rainmeter a permanent resident of my desktop.
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Rainmeter consumes CPU very high

Post by Alex2539 »

The CPU usage depends on what skins you are running. Running a lot of skins at the same time will increase the CPU usage. Also, skins with a very low value for their "Update" will also run up the CPU, as will skins that make use of large images.
ImageImageImageImage
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Since you didn't say, I'm going to assume that this problem occurs when you do a default installation of Rainmeter, and before you "add" any skins you either created or downloaded from somewhere?

If so, then this is unusual behavior. Rainmeter generally takes 3-5% of a dual core CPU like yours, and something is amiss if it takes more with only the default Enigma skins loaded.

First thing to try is going to the website for your network NIC (Network Interface Card) and get the latest and greatest drivers and install them. Be sure to reboot your PC after. Then try it. We have had a couple of occasions in the past where folks with older network drivers have had performance issues and the latest drivers set things right.

If that doesn't work (although I'm betting it does) then try unloading skins one at a time using RainBrowser and see if at some point the CPU usage goes to 3-5% as I said. If so, then it may be one particular skin / plugin that is causing the issue. If we can identify the skin that is causing the issue, we can go from there.
chuchay

Post by chuchay »

well, i have tried to see if their is a new driver for my netwrok card, but i have the latest.

i have tried unloading one by one the skins, and even with the enigma calendar only running i still get 10-30 on the column of the rainmeter on task manager.
i am running these skins on rainmeter:
enigma network
enigma systems
enigma recycler
enigma calendar
iphone clock(by fediafedia of deviantart)

that's it.

my cpu usage never touches below 10% or even 20% when running rainmeter, but when i am not running it, my cpu goes normal, with even 0% when i'm doing nothing.

anymore details i can provide to help solve this problem?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

What antivirus are you running? Can you try it without your antivirus as a test?
chuchay

Post by chuchay »

i have microsoft security essentials and eset smart security.. they are not conflicting in anyway.... i have added already exceptions before in the eset smart security and security essentials, still no luck. Have you tried this app on windows 7 64bit rc???
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

chuchay wrote:i have microsoft security essentials and eset smart security.. they are not conflicting in anyway.... i have added already exceptions before in the eset smart security and security essentials, still no luck. Have you tried this app on windows 7 64bit rc???
I have not personally, but I know lots of folks in that environment that have no issues. I am not sure where to go from here to test. To be honest, I am still suspicious of your network drivers, as the behavior is consistent with what I have seen before, but I can only assume you are correct that you have the latest version.
wasky1

Post by wasky1 »

im having a slight issue with with one particular instance of one particular measure:-

(skin update 1000)

[MCPUC1]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Plugins\PerfMon.dll
PerfMonObject="Processor"
PerfMonInstance=0
PerfMonCounter="% Processor Time"
UpdateDivider=2
PerfMonDifference=1
InvertMeasure=1
Disabled=0

[MCPUC2]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Plugins\PerfMon.dll
PerfMonObject="Processor"
PerfMonInstance=1
PerfMonCounter="% Processor Time"
UpdateDivider=2
PerfMonDifference=1
InvertMeasure=1
Disabled=0

i can use the same plugin with or without an update divider measuring anything else (ID Process ect.) without any fuss but when i measure "as above" i get a GRADUAL cpu drain. it takes about 2-3 minutes before the increase starts and then it increases to about 20% of processor which is strange i think because, it does'nt have an effect on my processor in the first few minutes, thats why i almost missed it. i can increase the update to 2000 and theres far less cpu drainage so im not megga bothered but its a shame though because lines and histograms ect have less visual impact when slow.

if you want to check it out for me my "NOT FINISHED" skin is here
http://dkphea.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7VBJVvYJ-VYLjxJtZ9z-_TkbZFb6zpQNMYKmYsMH426DSdmmCffzQY9JqRbgQyeAHlFc2kgg_l3ErkLjwvuGsIegyOFIPM4N/system.zip?download
just leave it on couple minutes, see result then delete the measures [MCPUC1] and [MCPUC2] refresh and wait 2-3 more minutes and see no prob.

would like to know if its just my comp thats why im sharing this when not finished(which really kills me!! so please be kind!)

please note you might at first think its the animation that does it but ive tried without it and same result.
Osprey

Post by Osprey »

I had this same problem. Disabling Enigma's System skin seemed to help. It didn't solve the problem entirely, but it helped.
killall-q

Post by killall-q »

wasky1 wrote:im having a slight issue with with one particular instance of one particular measure:-
I suspect it's the InvertMeasure=1 setting. Try adding MaxValue=10000000 to your perfmon measures. If you monitor those measures' values without in the About dialog, you'll see really odd numbers. Or you could just use the latest beta's Measure=CPU multicore support.