It is currently April 18th, 2024, 11:34 pm

RSS reader skin using InputText does not update correctly

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
epvhgjy0418

RSS reader skin using InputText does not update correctly

Post by epvhgjy0418 »

I have been using Rainmeter for several years and have found it to be enjoyable and addicting. My newest skin is designed to act as a Google News reader that allows user input of a specific topic; e.g. Windows, Apple, etc. When initially refreshed, the skin provides the Google News "Top Stories" and that works fine. Activation of an InputText box changes the news titles to the subject of the user input. This first instance also works fine. The problem is that when entering a second subject, the output does not change. But, input of a third subject then updates the skin to show the previous subject's titles. No errors are seen in the log. Skin (zip) is attached. I am sure it must be a simple problem but I can't seem to find it. Any help would be appreciated.

Rainmeter 4.3.0.3283 beta (64-bit)
Language: English (1033)
Build time: 2019-02-08 8:54:51
Commit Hash: 5f73ef9f
Windows 10 Pro 1809 64-bit (build 17763) - English (1033)
Path: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
SkinPath: C:\Users\Admin\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\
SettingsPath: C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\
IniFile: C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
Google News skin.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: RSS reader skin using InputText does not update correctly

Post by balala »

epvhgjy0418 wrote: March 12th, 2019, 1:50 pm When initially refreshed, the skin provides the Google News "Top Stories" and that works fine. Activation of an InputText box changes the news titles to the subject of the user input. This first instance also works fine. The problem is that when entering a second subject, the output does not change. But, input of a third subject then updates the skin to show the previous subject's titles.
When you're entering something and hit Enter, the !SetVariable bang used into the Command2 option of the [MeasureInput] measure sets the introduced value for the Word variable. But this value should have to be immediately used into the URL option of the [GoogleNews] measure, which is set with the !SetOption bang of the Command3 option. This fails.
There is a simple solution: replace the #Word# variable used into the mentioned !SetOption bang with the name of the InputText plugin measure, so replace Command3 with the following one: Command3=[!SetOption GoogleNews URL "https://news.google.com/rss/search?q=[MeasureInput]&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en"][!CommandMeasure GoogleNews Update]
epvhgjy0418

Post by epvhgjy0418 »

Thank you very much balala! That completely explains the behavior. I knew it would be something simple and I have learned another nuance regarding Rainmeter.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

epvhgjy0418 wrote: March 13th, 2019, 1:27 pm and I have learned another nuance regarding Rainmeter.
I'm glad. :thumbup: