It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:32 pm

Afterburner and mouseupaction questions.

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
roguetrip

Afterburner and mouseupaction questions.

Post by roguetrip »

First post here. Love the program.

I am converting my skin to use msi afterburner for some measures. When using the RAM Usage to see my used system ram it shows my ram as 5.1 k instead of 5.1 GB. Is this a bug or a calc like issue?

Next. I like to use mouseupaction to open msiafterburner but just linking to the .exe file will bring up a uac prompt before reopening the program. Is the a command if the program is running to show and hide the program?

Thanks in advance for looking and help.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Afterburner and mouseupaction questions.

Post by balala »

roguetrip wrote: March 11th, 2019, 5:56 pm I am converting my skin to use msi afterburner for some measures. When using the RAM Usage to see my used system ram it shows my ram as 5.1 k instead of 5.1 GB. Is this a bug or a calc like issue?
Although I don't use MSI Afterburner, posting the code of your skin would be useful. I don't think there would be a bug, but the code is needed probably.
roguetrip wrote: March 11th, 2019, 5:56 pm Next. I like to use mouseupaction to open msiafterburner but just linking to the .exe file will bring up a uac prompt before reopening the program. Is the a command if the program is running to show and hide the program?
I probably would try to use a RunCommand plugin measure. If you don't know how to add it, the code again would be useful, for specific help.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

roguetrip wrote: March 11th, 2019, 5:56 pmI am converting my skin to use msi afterburner for some measures. When using the RAM Usage to see my used system ram it shows my ram as 5.1 k instead of 5.1 GB. Is this a bug or a calc like issue?
I am using MSI AB, and it will output the memory used in megabytes - always. So, if you're using 50 MB, it will output 50, not 50x1024x1024 as a number value. My guess is that somewhere in your skin you have AutoScale=1k, so when MSI AB passes 5100 (MB value, thus 5.1 GB) to Rainmeter, the value is further divided by 1024 and ends up being 5.1 (with " k" being appended to the number, since AutoScale=1k). My advice would be to replace the AutoScale=1k that you probably have in your skin with Scale=1024 (that does the same division, but it doesn't add the " k" suffix to the number) and then manually append "GB" to the value from the meter displaying the whole thing. For example, in your meter you would have:

Code: Select all

MeasureName=some measure that gets the memory used value from MSI AB
AutoScale=1k
Text="%1B"
This should be modified to something like:

MeasureName=some measure that gets the memory used value from MSI AB
Scale=1024
Text="%1 GB"
You can learn more about these scale options (and other options) applied to the String meters here (just scroll to the scale options). One more thing, Rainmeter already has some measures that get the memory values - take a look here. I prefer to use those in my skins, and keep MSI AB for things I can't get with Rainmeter another way (like GPU stuff, the temperatures for the CPU or GPU, etc).
roguetrip wrote: March 11th, 2019, 5:56 pmNext. I like to use mouseupaction to open msiafterburner but just linking to the .exe file will bring up a uac prompt before reopening the program. Is the a command if the program is running to show and hide the program?
Disable UAC from Windows. I know it's not recommended and blah blah blah, but if you know what you're doing and are protected by an antivirus+firewall+some_adblocker, it isn't that dangerous. Bottom line, this isn't a Rainmeter issue, IMHO.
roguetrip

Post by roguetrip »

Thanks for the post. I currently not using any Scale argument.

Snippet of my code for ram only:

[Rainmeter]
		Update=1000
		AccurateText=1
		BackgroundMode=2
		SolidColor=0,0,0,1

[Variables]
		FS1=9
		FS3=12
		FCWhite=255,255,255,255
		FCBlue=009,128,255
		AFTERBURNER=["C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\MSIAfterburner.exe"]

[styleCenterTextP]
		StringAlign=CENTER
		StringCase=NONE
		StringStyle=NORMAL
		StringEffect=BORDER
		FontEffectColor=187,00,187,255 
		FontColor=#FCWhite#
		FontSize=#FS3#
		AntiAlias=1
		DynamicVariables=1

[styleCenterTextB]
		StringAlign=CENTER
		StringCase=NONE
		StringStyle=BOLD
		StringEffect=Border
		FontEffectColor=0,0,0,255
		FontColor=#FCBlue#
		FontSize=#FS1#
		AntiAlias=1
		DynamicVariables=1

[measureRAM]
		Measure=Plugin
		Plugin=MSIAfterburner
		DataSource=RAM usage
		Average=5
		;Substitute=" ":"","G":"","k":""

[meterLabelRAM]
		Meter=STRING
		MeterStyle=styleCenterTextB
		X=70
		Y=96
		Text=MMRS
		Prefix="-"
		Postfix="-"
		LeftMouseUpAction=#AFTERBURNER#
		ToolTipText=Open Afterburner, MSI

[meterValueRAM]
		Meter=STRING
		MeterStyle=styleCenterTextP
		MeasureName=measureRAM
		X=70
		Y=112
		NumOfDecimals=1
		AutoScale=1
		LeftMouseUpAction=#AFTERBURNER#
		ToolTipText=Open Afterburner, MSI

Also you can see how my LeftMouseUpAction is very basic just calling the .exe. Anymore info on the runcommand. I've read through the documentation and don't see a proper way to call from memory or maybe the progam name from memory. Maybe using a If statement could do it?

Disable UAC from Windows. I know it's not recommended and blah blah blah, but if you know what you're doing and are protected by an antivirus+firewall+some_adblocker, it isn't that dangerous. Bottom line, this isn't a Rainmeter issue, IMHO.
I want to keep UAC on. :)
roguetrip

Post by roguetrip »

@Yincognito

Ok. Thanks about the scale.

I had AutoScale=1 on and it would give the usage at 5.1k. If you remove AutoScale it will show the value in MB form like 5180.0...

Adding Scale=1024 changes it to just 5.1 with no GB/k notation. I guess you could add a Postfix for that as it will always be GB.

So now onto how to hide/show afterburner while it is open already?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

roguetrip wrote: March 11th, 2019, 10:54 pmThanks for the post. I currently not using any Scale argument.
Yes, you do. You have AutoScale=1 in the [meterValueRAM] meter. Just replace that line with:

Scale=1024
Text="%1 GB"
and it should do the trick.
roguetrip wrote: March 11th, 2019, 10:54 pmAlso you can see how my LeftMouseUpAction is very basic just calling the .exe. Anymore info on the runcommand. I've read through the documentation and don't see a proper way to call from memory or maybe the progam name from memory. Maybe using a If statement could do it?
This looks perfectly fine to me. There's no need to complicate your life with RunCommand yet, since the MSI AB launching seems just fine as it is in the code you posted. The idea is that RunCommand will indeed solve your hide/show launching of a program, but it won't solve those UAC alerts. And as far as I understand, the latter is precisely the reason you're looking to "hide" MSI AB when launching - correct me if I'm wrong.
roguetrip wrote: March 11th, 2019, 10:54 pmI want to keep UAC on. :)
As you wish. But so will UAC want to bother you with further popup notifications, if you want to keep it on... :D

EDIT: By the way, if all you want is start MSI AB minimized, there is already an option that you can tick on inside MSI AB. Just open its Settings, go to the General tab, and tick Start Minimized under General Properties section. Close it and open it again, and it should work. It certainly does for me.

EDIT2: If you want to minimize it while it is already running ... not sure you can do it, but if it is possible, running a command like these here should be your best bet. To do this using RunCommand, just use the example at the bottom of this page and replace the line Parameter=wmic cpu get Name with, say, Parameter="start /min (your path to MSI AB here)" (no brackets). Take care to properly quote things that have spaces in their names in the Parameter option. Please note that I can't guarantee that this will minimize an already started program, but you can try and see if it works.
roguetrip

Post by roguetrip »

@Yincognito

Yep, Autoscale was on but in my head I was like. i'm not using "scale". LOL

I normally start MSI Afterburner automatically minimized when the computer boots, It usually is hidden down in the system tray though and was hoping to find a easy way to toggle it to show the program or re-minimize it.

For now I'll just give MSI Afterburner elevated privileges to skip past UAC prompts and then just reference the shortcut in the skin. It's ugly but works to show the program. My variable now looks like: AFTERBURNER=[C:\WINDOWS\system32\schtasks.exe /run /tn "MSIAfterburner.exe_-1062659754"]

www.winaero.com/blog/create-elevated-shortcut-to-skip-uac-prompt-in-windows-10/
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

roguetrip wrote: March 12th, 2019, 2:08 amYep, Autoscale was on but in my head I was like. i'm not using "scale". LOL
Yeah, I noticed you were on the "nope, can't be" side on pretty much every opportunity... :lol: Don't worry, I'm not far from that approach either, so I can understand it.
roguetrip wrote: March 12th, 2019, 2:08 amI normally start MSI Afterburner automatically minimized when the computer boots, It usually is hidden down in the system tray though and was hoping to find a easy way to toggle it to show the program or re-minimize it.
I can't see why you'd want to "toggle" MSI AB constantly, unless you're overclocking your GPU in a different way every 5 minutes or so, LOL. Let me tell you that I use MSI AB for literally everything it can do (desktop/in-game system monitoring, recording, as a plugin in Rainmeter, etc) and for me, it's a set and forget software, once configured properly. When I need it to "launch itself" in a more "special" way is when I record stuff, but for that I just use the hotkeys I've assigned to it. Other than that, it just always runs happily and quietly in the background, no maximize/minimize at all. Every value it outputs can be seen either in a Rainmeter skin in desktop mode, or using its own OSD in Direct3D (i.e. game) mode.
roguetrip wrote: March 12th, 2019, 2:08 amFor now I'll just give MSI Afterburner elevated privileges to skip past UAC prompts and then just reference the shortcut in the skin. It's ugly but works to show the program. My variable now looks like: AFTERBURNER=[C:\WINDOWS\system32\schtasks.exe /run /tn "MSIAfterburner.exe_-1062659754
Yeah, well, that's something I would never ever do. It's like scratching your right side of your head with your left hand, really. But then, if you're happy with this approach, I'm not one to argue with someone's happiness... ;-)
roguetrip

Post by roguetrip »

Yincognito wrote: March 12th, 2019, 2:54 am I can't see why you'd want to "toggle" MSI AB constantly, unless you're overclocking your GPU in a different way every 5 minutes or so, LOL. Let me tell you that I use MSI AB for literally everything it can do (desktop/in-game system monitoring, recording, as a plugin in Rainmeter, etc) and for me, it's a set and forget software, once configured properly. When I need it to "launch itself" in a more "special" way is when I record stuff, but for that I just use the hotkeys I've assigned to it. Other than that, it just always runs happily and quietly in the background, no maximize/minimize at all. Every value it outputs can be seen either in a Rainmeter skin in desktop mode, or using its own OSD in Direct3D (i.e. game) mode.
Well, really would like to toggle MSI-AB's Hardware monitor to show/hide on command at the desktop (not the in-game monitoring OSD). Atleast making it linked in rainmeter gives less hassle than mousing to they system tray or placing a shortcut in the taskbar and using the win+[key number of location] trick.

I could use a skin for all the MSI-AB data but like minimal info on the desktop for a clean look.

I've been messing for over a week now with plugins, first it was coretemp, then speed fan, then usage monitor before I thought to look for a MSI-AB plugin and ported into my skin. Felt like wasted time with those other plugins since I've been using MSI-AB for years.
Yincognito wrote: March 12th, 2019, 2:54 am Yeah, well, that's something I would never ever do. It's like scratching your right side of your head with your left hand, really. But then, if you're happy with this approach, I'm not one to argue with someone's happiness... ;-)
I'm open to suggestions on a better way if anyone's listening. :bow:

Anyways. Thanks on the help!
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

roguetrip wrote: March 12th, 2019, 5:00 amI could use a skin for all the MSI-AB data but like minimal info on the desktop for a clean look.
Like this? :sly:
Desktop.jpg
roguetrip wrote: March 12th, 2019, 5:00 amFelt like wasted time with those other plugins since I've been using MSI-AB for years.
Indeed, I found it the most convenient of all - and the program itself is really useful and complete.