It is currently April 25th, 2024, 10:32 am

Local Timezone Abbreviation

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
qwerky

Local Timezone Abbreviation

Post by qwerky »

It seems that both the Time measure and the SysInfo plugin are able to provide the local timezone full name, but neither provides the abbreviation for that name, eg. EDT or PST. Is there a measure/plugin that can provide that?
CyberTheWorm

Re: Local Timezone Abbreviation

Post by CyberTheWorm »

Don't think so but you can use the substitute command https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/measures/general-options/substitute/
The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
Deviant Art Page
qwerky

Post by qwerky »

Yes, for sure, since I know my own local timezone. But that's not too good for anyone else using my skin, who may be located anywhere else.

Hmm... I wonder if one could use a regular expression in a substitute, to capture just the first letter of each word of the full name, so that for example "Pacific Daylight Time" becomes "PDT"? And though that would be fine for Canada/USA, I wonder if that would be applicable for (at least most of) the remainder of the world?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

qwerky

Post by qwerky »

Hmm... I thought that Windows actually knew the abbreviation for the local time zone, since it does know the full name. But if it does, I guess Rainmeter can't access it?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

qwerky wrote: February 20th, 2019, 2:21 am Hmm... I thought that Windows actually knew the abbreviation for the local time zone, since it does know the full name. But if it does, I guess Rainmeter can't access it?
No, time zone name abbreviations are not really standard, and they are not even unique. AMT can be either Amazon Time or Armenia Time.
qwerky

Post by qwerky »

Right, thanks. For my weather skin, I'll just use the abbreviation given by the weather site, and apply it to the local time as well. Since it's a Canadian weather site, those abbreviations will be correct for Canadian locations, and most likely only someone in Canada will be looking at it. Although, someone could be looking at the weather in a different city, so even that is not 100%. :-(