It is currently April 19th, 2024, 11:42 am

Lua Script being interrupted, but only sometimes.

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Lua Script being interrupted, but only sometimes.

Post by balala »

eclectic-tech wrote: December 14th, 2018, 3:45 am Not to sidetrack this thread, but I think using the Fileview plugin is the best solution when trying to read and display folders and files.
Agree and not with this, because usually the FileView plugin is indeed a better approach, but it has a disadvantage: the number of files / folders which can be shown at a time is limited with the plugin. It can be 4, 8, 16 or even more, but it's limited. The list is scrollable, but the plugin can't show all files / folders, regardless how many there are.
But what I'd add is that I can't replicate the issue: for me all elements appears at first click and doesn't matter how many times do I click, all elements are and remains visible, every time. Have no idea what to say...
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

balala wrote: December 14th, 2018, 12:42 pm Agree and not with this, because usually the FileView plugin is indeed a better approach, but it has a disadvantage: the number of files / folders which can be shown at a time is limited with the plugin. It can be 4, 8, 16 or even more, but it's limited. The list is scrollable, but the plugin can't show all files / folders, regardless how many there are.
I completely disagree with the thought that limiting the view is a disadvantage... :x

The plugin can show ALL files / folders regardless of how many there are in a controlled view...

Your argument that not ALL can be displayed at one time does not make sense to me...
Can you display a list of all the folders, sub-folder, and files that are on your PC on 1 screen? No, but that is what the OP's script tries to do?

The Fileview plugin gives the author a known controlled environment to display folders and files.
Using scripts to generate text list of unknown sizes is not how I would want this information displayed. I would much prefer a controllable, customizable list to one that fills 3/4 of my screen with my screen with plain text...

But if we all saw things the same, the world be pretty boring :welcome:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

eclectic-tech wrote: December 14th, 2018, 1:12 pm I completely disagree with the thought that limiting the view is a disadvantage... :x

The plugin can show ALL files / folders regardless of how many there are in a controlled view...

Your argument that not ALL can be displayed at one time does not make sense to me...
Can you display a list of all the folders, sub-folder, and files that are on your PC on 1 screen? No, but that is what the OP's script tries to do?
Well, we can argue about this, but my impression at the very first moment was that XavierTheTitan wants to show up the whole content of a folder "by one". And yes, if you can or can't do this, depends on how many files and folders are there, but I had the impression that the list shouldn't have to be scrollable. However I don't want to contradict you and I think I agreed FileView plugin is a very good and comfortable solution, but it depends on what OP wants.
eclectic-tech wrote: December 14th, 2018, 1:12 pm But if we all saw things the same, the world be pretty boring :welcome:
Right!
XavierTheTitan

Post by XavierTheTitan »

eclectic-tech wrote: December 14th, 2018, 3:45 am Not to sidetrack this thread, but I think using the Fileview plugin is the best solution when trying to read and display folders and files.
I'll take a look at your code for sure! My first impression of the Fileview plugin was a lot of code for specific output, where as my solution should allow passing of any directory and printing outputs. Then again, I have that massive loop of print statements in mine as well lol.

Still having the issue, but I'll make a new post here if I have any breakthroughs.

As a side note, any way to change the location of the skins folder away from the documents folder?