It is currently April 18th, 2024, 5:20 pm

Scrolling Image Wallpaper Help

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Faz_Bolt

Scrolling Image Wallpaper Help

Post by Faz_Bolt »

I was wondering if anyone knew how to make it so i can have this image Image have a looping scroll on my desktop, as i'm kinda new to this

i hope someone can help me
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Scrolling Image Wallpaper Help

Post by balala »

Faz_Bolt wrote: October 15th, 2018, 9:41 am I was wondering if anyone knew how to make it so i can have this image Image have a looping scroll on my desktop, as i'm kinda new to this

i hope someone can help me
You mean something like this?

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=-1
SkinWidth=(4*#H#/3)
SkinHeight=#H#

[Variables]
X=0
H=200

[MeterImage]
Meter=Image
ImageName=#@#SSBU_Panoramic.png
X=#X#
Y=0
H=#H#
PreserveAspectRatio=1
DynamicVariables=1
MouseScrollDownAction=[!SetVariable X "(Clamp((#X#-25),(-3031*#H#/561+4*#H#/3),0))"][!UpdateMeter "#CURRENTSECTION#"][!Redraw]
MouseScrollUpAction=[!SetVariable X "(Clamp((#X#+25),(-3031*#H#/561+4*#H#/3),0))"][!UpdateMeter "#CURRENTSECTION#"][!Redraw]
Note that the H variable (declared into the [Variables] section) is the height of the shown skin. The image is reduced to this height. You can change this to any desired value. The aspect ratio of the skin is 3/4, but this also can be changed, if needed.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

I think they were thinking of a scrolling image, like this:

; Make a copy of your image, expand your image canvas to twice the image width and paste the copy so your new image is side-by-side of the original. 
; Save the new image as "SSBU_Panoramic2.png" in @Resources folder

[Rainmeter]
Update=20
AccurateText=1
DynamicWindowSize=1
Group=#RootConfig#
OnRefreshAction=[!Move "0" "0"][!ZPos -2]

; ========= Variables ==========
[Variables]

; ========= Measures ==========
[MeasureLoop]
Measure=Loop
StartValue=0
EndValue=3031
Increment=1
LoopCount=0
InvertMeasure=0
DynamicVariables=1

; ========= Meters ==========
[MeterImage]
Meter=Image
ImageName=#@#SSBU_Panoramic2
X=0
Y=(#ScreenAreaHeight#/2-[#CurrentSection#:H]/2)
; X, Y, W, H, Origin
ImageCrop=[MeasureLoop:],0,#ScreenAreaWidth#,[MeterImage:H]
DynamicVariables=1
The image is twice the original, with a copy of it twice (side-by-side it is now 6062x561). That way it can scroll and start over without a "glitch".
Rather than use more image than the screen width, I use ImageCrop and a Loop Measure to show the screen width starting at incremented X positions until half the image is displayed, then the loop starts over. Cropping uses less resources over displaying the full image. The image must be at least twice your screen width. Set the "EndValue" of [MeasureLoop] to 1/2 the width of your image.

The preview is too large, so look at the attached rmskin. Questions welcomed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by eclectic-tech on October 15th, 2018, 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faz_Bolt

Post by Faz_Bolt »

OMG. thank you both for the help, i appreciate it
eclectic-tech wrote: October 15th, 2018, 4:10 pm I think they were thinking of a scrolling image, like this:

; Make a copy of your image, expand your image canvas to twice the image width and paste the copy so your new image is side-by-side of the original. 
; Save the new image as "SSBU_Panoramic2.png" in @Resources folder

[Rainmeter]
Update=20
AccurateText=1
DynamicWindowSize=1
Group=#RootConfig#
OnRefreshAction=[!Move "0" "0"][!ZPos -2]

; ========= Variables ==========
[Variables]

; ========= Measures ==========
[MeasureLoop]
Measure=Loop
StartValue=0
EndValue=3031
Increment=1
LoopCount=0
InvertMeasure=0
DynamicVariables=1

; ========= Meters ==========
[MeterImage]
Meter=Image
ImageName=#@#SSBU_Panoramic2
X=0
Y=(#ScreenAreaHeight#/2-[#CurrentSection#:H]/2)
; X, Y, W, H, Origin
ImageCrop=[MeasureLoop:],0,#ScreenAreaWidth#,[MeterImage:H]
DynamicVariables=1
The image is twice the original, with a copy of it twice (side-by-side it is now 6062x561). That way it can scroll and start over without a "glitch".
Rather than use more image than the screen width, I use ImageCrop and a Loop Measure to show the screen width starting at incremented X positions until half the image is displayed, then the loop starts over. Cropping uses less resources over displaying the full image.

The preview is too large, so look at the attached rmskin. Questions welcomed.
do you know how to zoom the image to fit this resolution 1366 x 768 as it currently doesn't fit my screenImage , sorry if it's a stupid question.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Faz_Bolt wrote: October 15th, 2018, 4:28 pm OMG. thank you both for the help, i appreciate it

do you know how to zoom the image to fit this resolution 1366 x 768 as it currently doesn't fit my screenImage , sorry if it's a stupid question.
The best solution is to modify your image in a graphic editor (paintdot.net, etc.) and make the vertical height of the image match your screen height (768 pixels high). I did not change the horizontal size (some distortion is introduced) because of an issue mentioned in the NOTE below.

IMPORTANT: You want to change the original image size, rather than having Rainmeter modify it by setting the H value on the meter, because changing the height on every update will drastically increase the load on the PC; Rainmeter works best if you do not resize images (especially when you are using a low skin UpdateRate for animation).

NOTE: There is an issue I ran into with an image larger than 6062x768, if I increase the image vertically to 768 and maintain the aspect ratio, the large image (8299x768) is being clipped improperly... not sure if this is an issue on my machine, or with the ImageCrop action, but it does work with 6062x768 image (image is too large to attach).

Hope this gets you closer to what you need.
Faz_Bolt

Post by Faz_Bolt »

yep works pefectly now. thanks for the help
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Happy to help! :-)
Therobertguy2

Post by Therobertguy2 »

Hello! I'm a complete newbie to Rainmeter so I will try and be as thorough as possible, but please feel free to ask for anything I might've missed. If I don't get a reply in a few days I'll copy this over to the main help forum and link this thread for future users (if I remember to check back in lol).

I'm trying to get this skin to work and I can't seem to get it to display anything. I have the MeasureLoop EndValue set to half of the edited image's width and I can see the value working properly in the log. The name of the png is the same as the original image that came with the skin and it still does nothing when the skin is loaded. I see no errors in the log, just that the skin was refreshed. I also tried this on my laptop with a 1080 60hz display, but neither the wallpaper that came with the skin nor an image I made for the 1080 screen would work.

How I created the image: I took the original tileable image and upscaled it to 2x its size using the nearest neighbor method since it is pixel art and doesn't lose detail. I then made a 3 images wide x 2 images tall version and cropped it down to 1440 high to fit my monitor pixel for pixel. I repeated a similar process for 1080, but with fewer tiles, and cropped to 1080 instead for the smaller display.

I did notice there were issues mentioned with images larger than 6062x768, but I'm not sure if that is with regard to just width or also height. In addition, the image that came with the skin did not do anything when loaded so I'm not sure if this is an issue with my specific display setup or if the skin is not working bc of software reasons.

Edited Image Dimensions: 6138x1440
Monitor: 2560x1440 165hz
Windows 11 OS
Image: Omori headspace background, found in omori-game website code in the sources tab under www.omori-game.com\img\whitespace\space_parallax.png (you have to click the door in the bottom of the screen or it will not appear in the sources);
Direct link to OG tileable image can be found here
Hardware acceleration is on for Rainmeter

Edited Image:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Therobertguy2 wrote: April 6th, 2023, 4:20 am I'm trying to get this skin to work and I can't seem to get it to display anything.
Pack the whole config you have and upload the package here, please. I'd like to check it, but for this I need besides the code of the skin, the involved resources as well.
Therobertguy2

Post by Therobertguy2 »

Here is the package as requested (I think anyways lol). Let me know if you need anything else. Also thank you for replying so quickly! I didn't expect such a quick response.